BIO nerds

Options
124»

Replies

• DelilahNguyen
    Options
    Student pilot! Currently studying Aviation technology and engineering!!

Anyone is free to add me :)

xoxo

17062333.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with chemistry? I was chem eng major for most of college, switched to comp Sci. after my junior year (extending college by 2 more years unfortunately), but it was great background for allowing me to read the very technical case studies and research briefs about health and nutrition. I wouldn't even begin to understand the mechanics of the human metabolism without that background.

FYI for anyone who wants to REALLY understand human metabolic processes, read "Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism" 5th edition, you can get it at B&N, it's fantastic (but super technical).

Is there anything in that tome about how the body decides whether to burn fat and/or protein when you're hungry (i.e. stomach empty, blood glucose dropping, etc.).

Reason I ask, sometimes at night, after exhausting my calorie intake budget for the day, I feel a little hungry. Should I snack lightly, or assume I'm not digesting my own protein for its caloric content?

'Mit all dem scientists on this board, I'm hopeful for some comment on the topic: "burn fat, protein, or both?".

yes there is, I mean it talks about all the hormonal interaction in the metabolism, so sometimes you need to infer, but the leap is pretty short, they give you all the reasons why things happen so all you have to do is apply the knowledge.
  • fluffybear777
    Options
    I am kinda new to this site but I can see where having friends traveling this same journey could be very helpful. I don't post much since I don't have internet access at home but I am impressed to see the amounts of weigt people have lost. WOW!:flowerforyou:
    I also like science. I am particularly interested in the brain and how it works at this time because I have a daughter with schizencephaly. It is rather rare and I wish I could meet some other folk on this journey as well.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Total bio-nerd here (marine bio bachelors, and now doing environmental science as a masters)
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Biochemistry is terrible, and possibly the bane of my existence at this moment. Genetics would win if the two had to duke it out. I haven't gotten to the brain in anatomy class yet, it'll be interesting to see how he tries to shove it into three weeks. Yall are awesome by the way, it gets hard when you don't have many friends interested in science to get excited about it with.

I remember my first neurobiology lecture at uni. It started something like this "this module is about the brain. It's amazing how much of the brain you can remove without actually killing the person." LOL kept everyone's attention.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    1 day away from starting a biomedical nanotech degree. Feel free to add me people.
  • heatherlee007
    heatherlee007 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Nursing student :) always looking for support and to give support add me, 26days and 11lbs so far!!
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi! never thought a topic like this would come up here lol but I think its awesome!
    I have my degree in Physiology and Chemistry. I LOVE SCIENCE!
  • shotallican
    Options
    Hi! never thought a topic like this would come up here lol but I think its awesome!
    I have my degree in Physiology and Chemistry. I LOVE SCIENCE!

:D im glad you think its awesome. Your profile picture made me do a little victory dance. The tough mudder is partly why I joined up. Are you planning on doing one of the races?