"You don't need to lose weight"

Options
13»

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I believe the mindset needs to be fixed. You do "Go on a Diet". Your diet is the daily regimen intake of nutrition...in other words what you eat on a regular basis. When someone says negatively that you don't need to Diet....correct them. That should shut them up. And if it doesn't, tell them you have committed to always improving who you are, mind, body, and soul....
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You should just take it for what it is.... Someone saying you don't appear over weight in their opinion. It's a compliment.
  • solodancer
    solodancer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also get the 'your really tall u carry it well' comments, but the bmi takes into account your height and mine still comes out at obese, im aware i dont look like ur typically obese person (or what people consider to be stereotypically obese) but im still too big for my height and its unhealthy and its puttin my overall health at risk, i used to get told i didnt need to diet when i was younger and a lot smaller than i am now, but clearly i did or i wudnt have got to where i am now. if you said to someone i dont need to diet and want to eat rubbish wud they disagree with u and tell u that u did....no thats just rude so wot makes it different the other way around
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I don't explain myself when declining a food offer. I just smile and say "No thanks."

If I don't give them anything to argue against, there's no argument. It's like magic :bigsmile:
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm the same way. Even my doctor said that my weight is fine, I just need to "move more". So even though I'm not really losing a lot of weight (it took me a couple of weeks to finally drop 1/2 pound) I'm going to the gym at least 5 mornings a week (at 5 a.m. - yikes!) and tracking what I eat keeps me honest - at least to myself. I'm viewing this "journey" as a lifestyle makeover - I want to feel better and be healthier. Even though I'm not "overweight:", I'm very "flabby" and out of shape and I'm just trying to improve me general condition.

Good luck!!!! Add me as a friend, if you want - it's nice to see someone who has similar goals / outlook as me. :happy:
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    Yup, I have the same problem at work. People think because you are trying to eat healthy and go to the gym that it's because you think you are fat. I KNOW I am not fat. I just want to be in shape, healthy and feel good about myself. So while Im over here at my desk becoming as fabulous as I can be, they are over there shoving m&ms in their mouth, becoming as unfabulous as they can be. Who's winning here.. THIS GIRL!
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i was arguing (not too heated tho) with a work colleague yesterday about this. Shes very lovely and well meaning person but her telling me that i dont need to lose weight really wound me up! i explained that actually my bmi is obese, i am at least 3 stone (32lbs) overweight and struggle to wear a UK size 18 -so YES! i do actually need to lose weight espec if i dont want to end up like my Mum who having been obese for the last 30 years has knackered her knees and back, is type2 diabetic and nas high bp!
  • This is the worst thing ever. In the past this is what has derailed me and caused me to gain a little more. I feel like the more compliments I get, the less likely I am to continue on this good eating and exercising path.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If it's any consolation, eventually they will stop. Eventually it will just be second nature to them that you eat healthy. They will actually forget that you did ever eat crappy food.

I don't bother with the "I'm eating healthy" or "I'm counting calories", I just say things like "No, thanks, don't feel like it" "No thanks, I don't really care for that" "No thanks, I just ate"
  • DiamondEyes_x
    DiamondEyes_x Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I get this -.-
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Some people want to help, some want sabotage you, some want to hurt. Since diet and loosing weight is something that I am doing for me, I now tell very few people. Then I do not need to explain or sift through the comments to detemine if it helpful or hurtful. Or if its a helpful comment that just rubs me the wrong way.
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't explain myself when declining a food offer. I just smile and say "No thanks."

If I don't give them anything to argue against, there's no argument. It's like magic :bigsmile:

Bango!
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think some people feel guilty for eating something unhealthy as well and by refusing it you remind them of this, so they try to get you to eat it as well to justify their own maybe bad choice. Or they get slightly annoyed that you've highlighted it.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I get that ALL the time. From everyone. I do understand their point of view because I'm actually not overweight, I just have a smaller frame than most, so I still don't look good at a weight that people consider "ideal" for my height.

What does annoy me is when someone remarks that I don't need to lose weight and then proceeds to serve me whatever it was that I turned down five seconds ago.
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I used to get it LOL!! I guess compared to the 350 I used to weigh I look okay, but I know where I am.

I just laugh and decline, tell them I know what the sacle says in the morning.
  • tubbybroccoli
    Options
    Could have written your post myself! I'm 5'3' also with approx the same to lose. Feel free to add me as a friend for motivation. x
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    I just shake my head at some of the comments people let fly sometimes.

I weigh in at 240, right now, and there are thin people at work that scoff at me wanting to lose 65 pounds which would put me down to 175. I mean really?

I may not hit 175, but I'm gonna try! I want to be in a healthy weight range for my frame.

Telling a woman who is over 200 pounds that they don't need to lose weight or that they should lose down to a health range is just plain ignorant.

If offered something that is out of my calorie range, I simply say no thanks and move on. I will be the first to tell you, I treat myself when I want to.