weight loss and toning at the same time

Options
I am currently 160lbs and 5'6". I am looking to loose around 30 pounds as I carry most of my weight in my tummy and hips. Should I be doing something other than my cardio and calorie counting to help me fix these problem areas?

Replies

• adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yes, lift heavy weights!
  • lisamdavis84
    Options
    as in benching or what type of lifting? i do not really want to be buff, just a girly toned i guess.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes, lift heavy weights!

this.

by doing cardio and dieting alone you risk losing some of the lean muscle you already have. Lifting heavy weights and getting adequate protein will help ensure that you retain most of your lean muscle as you lose the fat. This means that at your goal weight you will have a lower BF% and be more fit and stronger then if you did cardio and diet only.

Doing both helps you avoid being the dreaded skinny fat (thin with a high body fat %)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    as in benching or what type of lifting? i do not really want to be buff, just a girly toned i guess.

girls will not get "buff", all lifting will do is make sure you don't lose muscle. It takes a caloric surplus and serious lifting, to gain muscle and is easier with higher levels of testosterone that women don't have, so you don't have to worry about that.

I would suggest you take a look at the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women"
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I want to be toned and not flabby though lose 21 pounds along the way
  • 987Runner
    Options
    Girls don't usually get bulky. I'm doing handheld weights for my arms at home with a bench and my arms are getting nicely toned, not buff. I'm using 15lb weights, that's up from 10lbs when I started. I'll keep going up as I get stronger! Reps are key too! Good luck!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options

as in like this.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Good luck. !!!!!
  • AlaskanPhoenix
    Options
    If you want to maintain your strength and lean muscle, as well as tone up, I would suggest a full-body strength training session a few times a week, with each exercise at a weight that is a moderate challenge for your muscles. I, however, am no expert. If you go to a gym, there should be someone there who can give you some great advice. :) I'm always asking questions at mine.
  • Galaxybounce03
    Galaxybounce03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of muscle building moves but without weights too. Squats, lunges, pushups, and crunches. This ensures that once your muscles are more visible, that they will look nice and toned. I make a playlist on itunes and each 16 count of music will do a different one of these exercises. Change it up every time so you don't get bored.
  • lisamdavis84
    Options
    so my every other day regimen of crunches, girl push ups, squats and leg lifts won't cut it then?
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    have you heard about staci??

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

on the left she's 131 lbs. on the right she's 142, 11lbs heavier.
    Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92311-AM.jpg
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I do free weights/ along with outher weight training I have a weight bench in the basement along with a diffrent serious of free weights I work with those at least two to 3 days a week.
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Now that makes sense...Thanks
  • lisamdavis84
    Options
    would absolutely love for my stomach to look like that, and so would my boyfriend I bet!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Strength training is very important!

I myself do a lot of calisthenics (using my own body weight)....push-ups, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, etc. They get the heart rate up and are building strength. :)
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options

I love that article! I re-read it any time someone posts it!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    You won't get crazy buff, don't worry. I lift weights and use the machines around the gym so that I keep my muscle, but lose the fat. Otherwise I'd lose fat and muscle and just look flabby at my goal weight. Ew.

Good luck!
  • snaus70
    Options

I love that article! I re-read it any time someone posts it!

Thank you so much for sharing this!! I had not read this article before and it is SOOOO inspiring!! That's how I want to be!!
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    so my every other day regimen of crunches, girl push ups, squats and leg lifts won't cut it then?

^^^ Sorry to say, but that is not enough work to build muscle, lose fat, and get the image you are dreaming of. You need cardio days and real strength training days--and you also need to get enough good, clean foods. Fiber are Protein are your friends.

I am doing a workout program set up by the Jillian Michaels website..and I do a whole lot more than that, and per information on the site...If you want a killer body, you have to work hard for it. :)
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Definitely do strenght training, pereferably lifting heavy. It has worked wonders for me, and I combine it with High intensity interval training. I have lost a lot of fat (I had a lot especially around tummy and hips) and also gained muscle.