Replies

• felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    hookers and blow have helped me.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    everyone keeps saying heavy weights, please specify what you do when using heavy weights.

Someone said this before, but I'll also recommend: check out New Rules fo Lifting for Women. The training program tells you exactly what it means to lift heavy.

As an example, in Stage 1 one day of exercising is Squats, Push-ups, Seated Rows, Step-Ups, and Prone Jackknife. I was squatting 145 lbs, doing push-ups with my feet elevated 24 inches, rowing 100 lbs, and using a pair of 40 lbs dumbbells for step-ups at the end of Stage 1.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I boughht my bf a weighth bench and it's just sitting in the basement. I am not sure how to even use it and cannot afford a gym membership. I know how to bench press and do curls but do not know how that is going to help me withh my stomach and hips.

Ask him to help you out, show you how to use it.
  • tsmith8
    tsmith8 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I third New Rules of Lifting for Women - it tells you everything you need to know!!! Don't be afraid of lifting weights and using the program!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I wish I had taken starting measurements of myself. I do heavy lifting with a trainer 3 times a week (just benched 105 the other day, woot!). He also has me combine it with HIIT for a few minutes (half mile or so) to warm up, then an uphill walk to cool down. I have only lost 9 pounds in 9 months. I am getting really discouraged with the lack of weight loss, because unlike Staci in that article (who looks incredible!), I still have a lot of body fat to lose at 169 pounds and only 5 feet 4.5 inches.

For those of you who lift heavy, how much weight have you lost and in how long?
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    I'm squatting 85# and deadlifting 110# on an olympic bar. (Almost done with Stage 3 of New Rules of Lifting for Women.) Pretty good for an old chick, I think!

I lost 20# last spring/summer. I was thinner, but still jiggly in all the wrong places. I did a lot of reading, and the verdict came back "lift heavy". I'm so happy I did.

My shoulders and arms are tight and shapely...my bra straps don't slide off anymore, and I can carry a purse-strap on my shoulder and it stays put. My waist looks like it did when I was in high school. My muffin-tops are G-O-N-E!

My butt has made the most amazing progress. (I <3 SQUATS!!) Remember the scene in Death Becomes Her, when Meryl Streep drinks the potion and watches in the mirror as her backside shrinks up high and tight? That's what I feel like has happened to me (only in slo-mo! Hehehe).

I'm not bulky in the least...you can see some definition after I lift, while I'm still pumped, but otherwise I'm just less jiggly. And all of the aches and pains that I thought were just an unavoidable part of getting older? Gone! I've never felt better in my life!

I lift about an hour, 3 days a week. I make sure I'm lifting heavy enough to really struggle with the last rep of the last set of each move. No cardio except for the HIIT built into the program (less than 20 minutes every other session).

I'm actually eating over maintenance right now, 2100 cals at 40% carbs / 30%fat / 30% protein, and have gained back maybe 2# in 2 months, but have shrunk in size. I'll drop back to maintenance near the end of my program to hopefully cut a little more BF%, but my weight isn't really a factor anymore. Measurements tell a much more accurate story.

I highly recommend NROLW and lifting heavy. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I squat also and my butt is ok. I am not liking it as much and it looks like it has fallen a bit :( What squats do you do? I do a variety but am just curious if I am missing something. The sad thing is I used to squat 95-100 on the Smith machine and can't do it anymore (maybe because I was 25 at the time ha!) My knees also are hurting more even though I make sure my knee is not over my foot.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    everyone keeps saying heavy weights, please specify what you do when using heavy weights.

"Heavy" is as heavy as you can do for 3 sets of 8-10. So for me I squat 95lbs, deadlift 155lbs, and bench 85lbs. (I also do other lifts). I've been lifting regularly for 4 months. I started squatting with just the bar at 45, and deads at 65.

I REALLY REALLY recommend New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. It's great for beginners.
  • NYJ8687
    Options
    I am currently 160lbs and 5'6". I am looking to loose around 30 pounds as I carry most of my weight in my tummy and hips. Should I be doing something other than my cardio and calorie counting to help me fix these problem areas?

I'm in the same boat and have invested in Shakeology & ChaLEAN Extreme.... I'm on my second week and it's an awesome workout... it has cardio and strength training... the best of both worlds!!!!! inbox me if you want more info.... Good luck!!! (:
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I squat also and my butt is ok. I am not liking it as much and it looks like it has fallen a bit :( What squats do you do? I do a variety but am just curious if I am missing something. The sad thing is I used to squat 95-100 on the Smith machine and can't do it anymore (maybe because I was 25 at the time ha!) My knees also are hurting more even though I make sure my knee is not over my foot.

First, don't use the Smith machine. It doesn't allow for the full required range of motion. The knee over the foot thing isn't as important as going just past parallel. If you stop before parallel the knees are holding the weight at the stop. If you stop past parallel your *kitten* is holding it, taking the pressure off the knees. Start with just body weight until you get the form down, then add the empty bar.
  • LJC44
    Options
    I wish I had taken starting measurements of myself. I do heavy lifting with a trainer 3 times a week (just benched 105 the other day, woot!). He also has me combine it with HIIT for a few minutes (half mile or so) to warm up, then an uphill walk to cool down. I have only lost 9 pounds in 9 months. I am getting really discouraged with the lack of weight loss, because unlike Staci in that article (who looks incredible!), I still have a lot of body fat to lose at 169 pounds and only 5 feet 4.5 inches.

I lost 30 lbs from heavy lifting. I am not exactly sure how long. I would say maybe over 2 years??? I really don't remember when the biggest loss happened. My trainer also had me lifting heavy.
  • TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • LJC44
    Options

First, don't use the Smith machine. It doesn't allow for the full required range of motion. The knee over the foot thing isn't as important as going just past parallel. If you stop before parallel the knees are holding the weight at the stop. If you stop past parallel your *kitten* is holding it, taking the pressure off the knees. Start with just body weight until you get the form down, then add the empty bar.

I do not use the smith Machine alot at all these days. I use free weights and a bar. Hopefully I am squating right! Thank you though!
  • tami7447
    tami7447 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    as in benching or what type of lifting? i do not really want to be buff, just a girly toned i guess.

girls will not get "buff", all lifting will do is make sure you don't lose muscle. It takes a caloric surplus and serious lifting, to gain muscle and is easier with higher levels of testosterone that women don't have, so you don't have to worry about that.

I would suggest you take a look at the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women"

I agree and I am currently reading "New Rules of Lifting for Women". A friend of mine who was 400 lbs who lost 150 lbs with the help of a trainer did more WEIGHT TRAINING. She has great muscle tone. She was the one who told me about the book and convinced me to do weight training.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options

I lost 30 lbs from heavy lifting. I am not exactly sure how long. I would say maybe over 2 years??? I really don't remember when the biggest loss happened. My trainer also had me lifting heavy.

That is really encouraging, thank you! I keep telling people, I'll get to where I am finally happy in another 2 years or so, lol :) So I just need to be patient and keep it up. I just wish it would happen faster, but then again, who doesn't.
  • LJC44
    Options

That is really encouraging, thank you! I keep telling people, I'll get to where I am finally happy in another 2 years or so, lol :) So I just need to be patient and keep it up. I just wish it would happen faster, but then again, who doesn't.

Yes it def takes time which def sucks haha. These days I am wanting it to happen like yesterday :) I get angry when I don't see results in a week now and I know that is impossible!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options

The Smith Machine doesn't let your stabilizer muscles kick it to help balance, and it traps you in what may be an unnatural range of motion. Lou Schuler discusses this in New Rules of Lifting and New Rules of Lifting for Women. The machines just don't give you the same bang for your buck, and in some cases, can be just plain dangerous.

I started out with dumbbells held down at my sides, but quickly progressed to an olympic bar on my shoulders. I watched form over and over on youtube to get it right. The real trick is to go deep. I have been managing thighs parallel to the floor. Then I asked earlier on another thread "how deep is deep enough?" and the answer, for the best booty, is ATG (*kitten* to grass!). I plan to drop back the weight and go for a deeper squat. I don't know if I can do it, but 2 months ago, I didn't know I could do any of this!
  • LJC44
    Options

The Smith Machine doesn't let your stabilizer muscles kick it to help balance, and it traps you in what may be an unnatural range of motion. Lou Schuler discusses this in New Rules of Lifting and New Rules of Lifting for Women. The machines just don't give you the same bang for your buck, and in some cases, can be just plain dangerous.

I started out with dumbbells held down at my sides, but quickly progressed to an olympic bar on my shoulders. I watched form over and over on youtube to get it right. The real trick is to go deep. I have been managing thighs parallel to the floor. Then I asked earlier on another thread "how deep is deep enough?" and the answer, for the best booty, is ATG (*kitten* to grass!). I plan to drop back the weight and go for a deeper squat. I don't know if I can do it, but 2 months ago, I didn't know I could do any of this!

I mostly use weights or an ezbar. There was a time when I always used the olypic bar and was squatiing off of a stepper but there is no room in the gym I go to now plus they got rid of alot of things I used :( I go pretty deep and watch my posture but my back still hurts. I will have to watch youtube to see if I am doing things properly. Thank you for the advice!! I want to get back to the tough b*tch I used to be haha :)
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Oh and I actually haven't been trying to lose weight with lifting, I've been trying to gain. I've been eating about 3000 calories a day for 4 months. I've gained 10lbs but my pants and all my clothes still fit. It's barely noticeable. I'm just about to switch over to starting to lose again.