I love it when people call me "hun" or "sweety"

Options

Replies

• runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    this reminds me - I have a colleague, on my team actually, who calls me Queen and has done since 2008! She does this because as a gag gift I got a Princess Tiara, right before I won a pretty big competition at work and became an Ambassador. The combination of her calling me Queen, and her deep African voice (she is from Ghana) makes this something I don't mind at all :)

so you guys are free to call me Queen but JD ^^ can call me boss if he likes (but not dear)
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of this. I just mean it affectionately, and didn't think about whether it would cause offense to anyone. Yikes :( In Trinidad where I grew up, everyone seems to call each other 'baby' or 'sweetie' or 'honey' and it always gives me the warm fuzzies. :)

12854723.png
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Ummm, I tend to call girls "dude" and "buddy". Girls like that right?

haha- I like it! :)

As far as pet names, when older women do it, I agree it's maternal and I like that. When guys do it or people younger than me, like when they just call their friends by it, my younger sister was saying "okay, kids" for awhile and I always got on her about it- that I don't like at all and it's annoying.

Edit: I don't mind "ma'am" actually. I'm 29, so I'm starting to get that a bit lol. Doesn't make me feel old or anything, but then I don't look my age, so maybe that's why.
  • Scoobies100
    Options
    My ex used to call me 'cutie' and his 'little girl'. I found it patronizing and controlling.

For me, babe works fine!
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    So I use Sweetie alot and maybe I should be careful but if you really want some good secrets I understand, and we would need a really good southern girl to answer this, that in the south, USA, they use terms that mean something different. Such as:

He's so Special! (He's a retard)
    Ain't that nice! (Go *kitten* yourself)

I know there are more....feel free to fill them in!
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I love it when ya call me big poppa..oh sorry song was playing..I love being called JJ!!
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    My ex used to call me 'cutie' and his 'little girl'. I found it patronizing and controlling.

For me, babe works fine!

Ummm yeah, babe is definitely good for you! Wow! (Does Wow work too?)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Oh dear I call everyone hun or sweetie, in a nice way I may add. Never ever thought anyone would find it offensive! X
  • Whinchat
    Whinchat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If someone calls me 'hun', 'sweetie', 'babe' or the like, I get the urge to punch them in the face. :explode: It grates like nails down a blackboard. I have a name, use it. (Yeah, I'm a grumpy cow :laugh: ).

(Babe in particular annoys me - Babe is a pig in a book/film, not a term of endearment)
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    wow, seeing the difference in responses makes me nervous. I almost always call people, honey, hun, sweetheart, sweetie, etc. (don't remember ever calling anyone darling tho) and I NEVER mean it condescendingly. So I am either really sweet or really creepy!
  • StephySands
    Options
    Well, I am from Georgia!! So, most of my friends I call sweetie or honey! Just a habit, however, I wasn't born in Georgia so my accent isn't as thick as most. I love to be called sweetie, hun, babe or any other nice name. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy too :) Just sayin' Now y'all have a nice day :):happy:
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Some people its just part of their dialect. A lot of my customers refer to us by affectionate names like that, just because simply thats how they talk
  • JoyfullMovement
    JoyfullMovement Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know some people don't feel good about these terms and have to watch myself . Being raised a southern girl, these terms want to come out of my mouth when I have a feeling of affection in my heart. That's how I feel for my MFP friends. (thinking affectionate terms in my head now) :)
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Im a newfie... I call everyone sweetie, hun or darling!!

Maritimer here too... Pretty common to call everyone sweetie, Hun or darling. The older generation tends to call everyone dear. I also call my youngest daughter and her best friend chicklette.... Not sure why it started but it stuck.
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    As long as no one calls me "doll" I'm ok! I had a teacher call me doll once then explain to the class tha a doll is an empty headed play thing...scared me for life!!! lol!
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I dont hear it enough booo
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    I call everyone hun from my wife, to my kids, to all my friends. It just a habbit i picked up from my dad and grandpa. Like I tell my friends if it bothers you let me know and Ill call you something else
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am actually in the south, Mississippi, it doesn't get any southier than this. lol. And unless it is an old lady or my husband, I can't stand being called any of those names because it usually is in a condescending way - even here. And another saying in the south "well bless your heart," that is most definitely an insult. There are tons more that people use here. The southern "hospitality" is actually snark undercover.
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    So I use Sweetie alot and maybe I should be careful but if you really want some good secrets I understand, and we would need a really good southern girl to answer this, that in the south, USA, they use terms that mean something different. Such as:

He's so Special! (He's a retard)
    Ain't that nice! (Go *kitten* yourself)

I know there are more....feel free to fill them in!

THANK YOU! I completely agree.

Bless your heart= screw you. lmao
  • jennp1129
    jennp1129 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    From ladies I find it patronizing... But from some men I like it. Not just any men, that would make me feel cheesy. But a guy I talk to and find attractive, kind of makes me feel a little more special. Well, assuming he doesn't say it to everyone.