Options

Replies

• sojojoshua
    Options
    bump
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    After calculating mine....the number i got was my maintenance calories. So if you want to lose weight, take that number and subtract 500-1000 for a calorie deficit. Interesting formula I haven't seen before, I usually go by harris-benedict which comes out pretty close to find MAINTENANCE.

I agree with you...the number I got was also my maintenance calories (1946)...because if I subtracted 500 I got 200 calories higher than I'm presently eating....1446. Right now I stay at 1200-1300 most days
  • definitelyBrooke
    Options
    Yeah, I used the number 66 instead of 665. Got 1105. Makes a LOT more sense!
  • GreenEyedLady1
    Options
    For all those saying , omg no way i should at that much, you are wrong. Just plain wrong. I know, because I was thinking the same way you think for YEARS. a few months ago i was reading a blog that gave me the same info as the OP and i was like, WOW! All this time, i was thinking that eating so few calories would help me lose weight. but it doesnt. AT ALL. please people, stop falling into the trap of thinking that you have to starve yourself to lose weight.

i eat 2260 calories a day, and I am LOSING weight. when i actually get off my fat butt and excercise, i lose even more.

PLEASE STOP BELIEVING YOU HAVE TO STARVE.

I eat 3 good meals and still have snacks and i am losing weight. no funny pills or drinks or anything stupid like that. i feel better, i sleep better. start eating healthier, and eat the right amount of food. its the way our bodies work. they need fuel. if you dont give them fuel, they start holding on to everything they can (fat) because your body needs energy. even if you just sit around all day and do nothing, it needs energy.

i cannot say it enough times, STOP STARVING YOURSELF.

figure out your BMR, multiply by your activity level, and get your daily calories. then just eat and excercise to keep yourself in between those numbers. try this site for finding your numbers. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

it works, plain and simple. anyone who works out, body builders, people in good shape will tell you this is what you need to do. and they are proof it works. these are people who eat 3000-4000 calories a day!!! :noway: and they stay fit because thats what their bodies need. so, make sure you dont just do cardio. add in some sort of strength or resistance training. muscle burns more calories than fat. you dont have to be super buff, just challenge your muscles, eat lots of lean proteins to help them grow, and your body will use even more calories.

please please please stop thinking you need to starve. i see so many people doing the same thing i was doing, eating RIDICULOUSLY low amounts of calories, and then wondering why they arent losing weight. eat, be healthy and good luck to you all!!! :happy:
  • dnnmccloud
    dnnmccloud Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So true, just recently upped my calories because I wasn't losing..and I am seeing some difference!
  • jensmithdc
    Options
    I find that if I am eating well within my calorie range and I am not losing any weight, I up my calories for a day or two and then I experience a loss. I do this and then go back to my initial calorie goal.
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • getter1952
    Options
    I run numbers daily for friends on MFP and they are losing weight between 1600-2700 calories.
    This stuff works.
    One thing to remember though is you wont see much scale movement for a while.
    Most of the effects of this will be in body fat %.

Hello could you help me out I have been at the same weight for months and just started MFP today!
    This is for Helloitsdan
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • getter1952
    Options
    I run numbers daily for friends on MFP and they are losing weight between 1600-2700 calories.
    This stuff works.
    One thing to remember though is you wont see much scale movement for a while.
    Most of the effects of this will be in body fat %.
    \

Hello I just started MFP today could you help me out with my numbers? I have been stuck for months!
    This is for Helloitsdan!
  • sandimack
    sandimack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    So, give your body the right nutrients in the right portions (40% protein, 40% low glycemic carbs and 20% fats), eat at least 5 times per day and...

Can I change this on my profile? How? I can see how to up my calories but not this.

Thanks for the post, I really enjoyed it. I've been doing bootcamp since July 1, 2011 and LOVE IT!! I'm addicted!

Yes, under "Home" at the top, click on "Goals" then you can edit your goals and change them by percentages.
    :happy: Thanks they are now changed
  • ggg403
    ggg403 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My boot camp instructor sent this to me. I find it very interesting and wanted to share. I mean he is a fitness expert!

(Body Fat Burn Registration Link at the bottom…but read on!)

Over eating causes weight gain…duh.

But, did you know that under-eating is almost as bad as over eating?

Doesn’t seem to make sense, but its true…and the fact is that most people are guilty of under eating, most of the time.

Here’s the deal:

Your body is an amazing machine built for enormous stresses.

And, when put to the test it will revert back to one basic function: to survive at all costs.

When we under eat, we have a pretty nifty survival mechanism that kicks in.

The body actually thinks that there is a food shortage and a famine is coming (read up on Epigenetics for this one).

So, if you are trying to starve yourself skinny a couple of days out of the week,

even the very few calories that you do eat will be stored as fat because your body thinks that it needs those calories for survival later.

So what’s the solution if you can’t starve yourself skinny?

EAT! :o)

We need a certain amount of calories every day just to survive. That’s your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR).

Your RMR is the amount of calories that you burn while just sitting there. A high RMR is a good thing…because it means less body fat.

The more muscle you have (muscle burns calories, fat does not) the higher your RMR.

The less muscle you have the lower your RMR (and the more body fat you’ll likely have).

That’s why some cardio is good, but strength training/resistance training like we do in boot camp is key when it comes to looking awesome (naked).

So, give your body the right nutrients in the right portions (40% protein, 40% low glycemic carbs and 20% fats), eat at least 5 times per day and...

Your body will respond in amazing ways.

In fact all our campers decide to start eating this way are blown away at how fast the weight drops off…as in 4 to 5 pounds per week fast.

Its not rocket science or magic…just a neat little bit of physiology that YOU control :o)

So, exactly how many calories do YOU need to eat every day to maintain a lean sexy figure?

Grab your calculator and use the formula below:

For Women: 665 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) – (4.7 x age in years)

For Men: 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) – (6.8 x age in years)

Take the number from above and multiply it by the level of exercise listed below:

(i.e. If you’re doing boot camp 4+ days per week you fall into the Moderately Active to Very Active category - multiply by 1.55)

1.2 (Sedentary, Little or No Exercise)

1.375 (Lightly Active, Light Exercise 1 to 3 days per week)

1.55 (Moderately Active, Moderate exercise 3 to 5 days per week)

1.7 (Very Active, Hard exercise 6 to 7 days per week)

1.9 (Extremely Active, Hard daily exercise and/or physical job)

And viola! There ya have it!

Now you have your plan to eat to stay lean!
  • ggg403
    Options
    The last number is subtracted, not added.
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    My number was 2940. That's way too high for me. I typically eat something like 1800 (+/-300 depending on my activity level for the day), and I'm losing just fine.

I have a really hard time believing that 1800 calories a day is going to trigger 'starvation mode', especially as I've done an entire year at 1600 before (and lost 70+lbs).

Eating is definitely important, but unless you're eating under 1600 or so I don't foresee any need to bump your daily consumption. 40/40/20 does sound reasonable though. High protein diets keep me fuller longer, and negate any crazy hunger swings. As someone who eats primarily vegetarian, it's a bit hard for me to hit those numbers without supplements... so mine are probably closer to 50/30/20 -- to no ill effect.
  • ggg403
    Options
    My boot camp instructor sent this to me. I find it very interesting and wanted to share. I mean he is a fitness expert!

(Body Fat Burn Registration Link at the bottom…but read on!)

Over eating causes weight gain…duh.

But, did you know that under-eating is almost as bad as over eating?

Doesn’t seem to make sense, but its true…and the fact is that most people are guilty of under eating, most of the time.

Here’s the deal:

Your body is an amazing machine built for enormous stresses.

And, when put to the test it will revert back to one basic function: to survive at all costs.

When we under eat, we have a pretty nifty survival mechanism that kicks in.

The body actually thinks that there is a food shortage and a famine is coming (read up on Epigenetics for this one).

So, if you are trying to starve yourself skinny a couple of days out of the week,

even the very few calories that you do eat will be stored as fat because your body thinks that it needs those calories for survival later.

So what’s the solution if you can’t starve yourself skinny?

EAT! :o)

We need a certain amount of calories every day just to survive. That’s your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR).

Your RMR is the amount of calories that you burn while just sitting there. A high RMR is a good thing…because it means less body fat.

The more muscle you have (muscle burns calories, fat does not) the higher your RMR.

The less muscle you have the lower your RMR (and the more body fat you’ll likely have).

That’s why some cardio is good, but strength training/resistance training like we do in boot camp is key when it comes to looking awesome (naked).

Your body will respond in amazing ways.

In fact all our campers decide to start eating this way are blown away at how fast the weight drops off…as in 4 to 5 pounds per week fast.

Its not rocket science or magic…just a neat little bit of physiology that YOU control :o)

So, exactly how many calories do YOU need to eat every day to maintain a lean sexy figure?

Grab your calculator and use the formula below:

For Women: 665 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) – (4.7 x age in years)

For Men: 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) – (6.8 x age in years)

Take the number from above and multiply it by the level of exercise listed below:

(i.e. If you’re doing boot camp 4+ days per week you fall into the Moderately Active to Very Active category - multiply by 1.55)

1.2 (Sedentary, Little or No Exercise)

1.375 (Lightly Active, Light Exercise 1 to 3 days per week)

1.55 (Moderately Active, Moderate exercise 3 to 5 days per week)

1.7 (Very Active, Hard exercise 6 to 7 days per week)

1.9 (Extremely Active, Hard daily exercise and/or physical job)

And viola! There ya have it!

Now you have your plan to eat to stay lean!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For all those saying , omg no way i should at that much, you are wrong. Just plain wrong. I know, because I was thinking the same way you think for YEARS. a few months ago i was reading a blog that gave me the same info as the OP and i was like, WOW! All this time, i was thinking that eating so few calories would help me lose weight. but it doesnt. AT ALL. please people, stop falling into the trap of thinking that you have to starve yourself to lose weight.

i eat 2260 calories a day, and I am LOSING weight. when i actually get off my fat butt and excercise, i lose even more.

PLEASE STOP BELIEVING YOU HAVE TO STARVE.

I eat 3 good meals and still have snacks and i am losing weight. no funny pills or drinks or anything stupid like that. i feel better, i sleep better. start eating healthier, and eat the right amount of food. its the way our bodies work. they need fuel. if you dont give them fuel, they start holding on to everything they can (fat) because your body needs energy. even if you just sit around all day and do nothing, it needs energy.

i cannot say it enough times, STOP STARVING YOURSELF.

figure out your BMR, multiply by your activity level, and get your daily calories. then just eat and excercise to keep yourself in between those numbers. try this site for finding your numbers. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

it works, plain and simple. anyone who works out, body builders, people in good shape will tell you this is what you need to do. and they are proof it works. these are people who eat 3000-4000 calories a day!!! :noway: and they stay fit because thats what their bodies need. so, make sure you dont just do cardio. add in some sort of strength or resistance training. muscle burns more calories than fat. you dont have to be super buff, just challenge your muscles, eat lots of lean proteins to help them grow, and your body will use even more calories.

please please please stop thinking you need to starve. i see so many people doing the same thing i was doing, eating RIDICULOUSLY low amounts of calories, and then wondering why they arent losing weight. eat, be healthy and good luck to you all!!! :happy:

Every word of this. :smile:

I lost weight eating between 1800-2000 calories a day. I lost more weight, faster, with a larger percentage of that weight from fat, than I did eating half that amount years ago.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Is there usually a gain before the loss begins if you haven't been eating this way previously? I just want to be prepared.

According to the formula, my number was 2318. On MFP, my daily caloric intake is 1310 before exercise. I burn around 600-700 calories 5 days per week, Around 400-500 on the weekends. I weigh 156 and want to weigh 128, so I used the numbers for my goal, rather than my current weight.

I'm a bit worried about eating more, but I'm pretty stalled on my weight loss at the moment and am willing to try it.

So, you are eating 1310, burning 600. If your counts are accurate, you are expecting your body to function on 600-700 calories a day? That could be the reason you are not losing now. I have a long way to go, but I upped my calories a bit and have lost more weight than when I was eating less. Now I need to get my *kitten* motivated to work out more.
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    After calculating mine....the number i got was my maintenance calories. So if you want to lose weight, take that number and subtract 500-1000 for a calorie deficit. Interesting formula I haven't seen before, I usually go by harris-benedict which comes out pretty close to find MAINTENANCE.

Yes, you need to cut calories from this maintenance number in order to lose weight, but I would caution folks against simply cutting 500 - 1000 calories. The less weight you have to lose the more at risk you are for under-eating if you simply cut off 500-1000 calories. Most people should not be eating 1200 calories. Calculate your BMR - that's the absolute least you should ever eat, with or without exercise. If your maintenance is 1900, you don't have 1000 calories to cut! My maintenance number is 1900 and my BMR is 1545. That means the most I can cut in calories is 355 per day. That means as I near my goal, my loss will be less and less. In my years of research on the subject, many health and fitness professionals and doctors recommend that you only cut 15% (at most 25%) of your calorie intake when you are trying to lose weight, rather than using the old adage that you need to cut 500 - 1000 per day for one to two pounds per week. The reason is that this ensures you lose weight steadily and are better able to maintain the loss for the long haul. It also ensures that you never are at risk for starving your body and causing your body to store fat. It also ensures that your body won't use the lean muscle mass you already have as fuel, which it will do instead of using fat if you are not eating enough. If you have 30 pounds or less to lose, eat more and lift more. You'll lose weight steadily, but you will see bigger changes in your body composition over time. And don't obsess so much on the scale! Measure yourself and take pictures. Celebrate changes that don't have anything to do with weight. People at the same weight can look dramatically different just because of their body composition (ie one only cardios and the other lifts weights). The one who lifts will look much slimmer because muscle is denser and takes up less space than fat.

For everyone saying "Oh, this won't work for me, I would be huge." You aren't any different than anyone else - the science is the same whether you want to believe it or try it. Even if you are losing a pound or two per week now by not eating, how do you know you aren't losing lean muscle mass? Time and time again people have demonstrated that eating more (and more nutritious) and lifting produce better long term results than simply dieting and cutting calories. Don't be so quick to dismiss yourself as "different" than everyone else and consider the suggestions. Ultimately, it's up to you, but you do yourself a disservice to so quickly dump on a well proven track for loss.
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Sammyk50
    Sammyk50 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bump...thanks