Eating enough to lose weight??...sent by a bootcamp instruct

Options

Replies

• becky2967
    Options
    this is the part that amazes me.. my BMR is 2,500 but i know if i ate that i wouldnt loose weight, i was eating about 2,100 when i was gaining ;/ so now i am burning like 1,500+ each day and eating about 1,700... but for me it seems i only seem to lose from a small portion and excessive exercise. ( i do however have 2days a week of 500- exercise and a 2,000 eat) i would love to be able to eat more it would mean being able to have a proper tea rather than toast!
  • kaw811
    kaw811 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really think everyone is different. Makes sense, but what worked for me when I was in my 40s is not working now in my 50s. And trust me I am trying hard. I've been around the block a few times and know that people have different metabolisms and some definitely WOULD gain on that program and some would shed pounds easily enough.

It gets very discouraging when someone says THIS is the magic ticket and then it doesn't work for someone else. I am happy when something works for someone else though.

Find out what works for you...but in general I agree. We are hurting our bodies, stressing them out and making them susceptible to illness and disease when we over diet and over exercise.
  • ZarrX86
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! But it seems kind of counter-intuitive. Why are anorexic people so thin, then? It just basically comes down to calories in, calories out.

Well the thing about that is if you starve yourself for long enough, yes you will lose weight. Your body will eventualy burn muscle away to feed you so youll eventually lose weight but in the most unhealthy way possible. thats why anorexic people look like twigs, they burned all their muscle away to feed themselves.

In short, not eating alot wont help you lose weight instantly, in the long run it will but is highly NOT recommended because you body will eventually use muscle to gets its calories
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have come to a halt on my weight loss, so it is worth a try to me. I recently started lifting more heavily and I will use this in combination for a month and see where I am at. I also had my bf% done recently, so I have a benchmark to compare to in addition to measurements and the scale.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: gonna read this later
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    This is kind of confusing to me. Someone said it was different numbers if you wanted to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time is there anyway to get that formula? I'd love those numbers.

I think it was HelloitsDan that said he runs numbers for people. Did you say it is different calculations depending on your goal? I'd love some help figuring it out. I have been losing but so slowly, less than a pound most weeks no matter how much I work out.
  • ts1122
    ts1122 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I used the number 66 instead of 665. Got 1105. Makes a LOT more sense!

then number should be 665. Remember this is about losing fat and gaining muscle. Anything under 1200 is really bad. I was at 1200 and didnt loose uped to 1400 and lost 2 pds!!!

I was also at 1200 and upped only to 1300 but started losing more - I am now upping my calories again :)
  • insyweensy
    insyweensy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I have come to a halt on my weight loss, so it is worth a try to me. I recently started lifting more heavily and I will use this in combination for a month and see where I am at. I also had my bf% done recently, so I have a benchmark to compare to in addition to measurements and the scale.

If you have your fat % try putting it in here - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

or ask helloitsdan very nicely and he'll run the numbers for you.

I was on 1200, had a big loss for a month, then stalled, so realised that eating under my BMR wasn't good for me.
    Dan ran my numbers and I'm now on 1750

I was expecting a gain to start as my body sighed with relief at the extra food, but instead it came down.

Personally I am doing my best to stay within BMR and TDEE.

As you say, what I was doing before wasn't working so there's nothing to lose doing something different, except fat :)
  • SafireBleu
    Options
    I run numbers daily for friends on MFP and they are losing weight between 1600-2700 calories.
    This stuff works.
    One thing to remember though is you wont see much scale movement for a while.
    Most of the effects of this will be in body fat %.
    is this the forumla you use to help friends set up their numbers?

I have a dietary calc I use for different types of diets.
    It has settings for cuts, bulks, IF and concurrent fat loss/lean mass gains.
    So far its been accurate as long as the person who gives me their stats has a proper body fat%.

This is the quote I was looking for. If I want concurrent fat loss and lean mass gains what would be the formula to use? If you could help me figure this out I'd really appreciate it.
  • abookreader2
    abookreader2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    So much misinformation.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I got 2243....I gain weight eating 1500...so this cannot be right..at least not for me.
  • MelBee29
    Options
    keeping this to read later :wink:
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SafireBleu
    Options
    I got 2243....I gain weight eating 1500...so this cannot be right..at least not for me.
    I think what people have said is that there is an initial gain and then you lose. But I'm not 100 % sure if that is right. I do know I lose at 1500 so it is possible.
  • amylynna1
    amylynna1 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This is totally confusing to me, can you help me?

Yes email me the info provided and I can try to calculate for you
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options

Is 2243 the number of calories you need to maintain your current weight? If so, you don't want to maintain you want to lose. So, you would need to subtract how much you want to lose per week from the 2243.
  • amylynna1
    amylynna1 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people are VERY skeptical of the "eat more to lose" mentality, but I can tell you that it's working for me.

When I started here at MFP at 239 I was eating around 1,500 gross calories per day and burning between 700-1,300 calories a day through exercise (100% cardio). So I was netting between 200-800 calories per day and I dropped 32lbs really quickly (within 4 months).

Last October, my weight loss came to a HALT. I re-evaluated, changed my workouts to more strength training and less cardio, but kept eating the same.

It wasn't until the end of January when I started P90X and started eating ALOT more that the scale started to move. I eat at my TDEE sedentary, add my exercise calories, then subtract 500 to get a 1 pound per week deficit. So:

TDEE sedentary for a 5'6 female weighing 203: 2159
    Add an average of 600 for my workout: 2759
    Subtract 500 to get a deficit: 2259

So, I aim for 2,259 each day. Days that I work out extra, I eat extra.

I can tell you that I feel 100% better, stronger, healthier, and fitter, and I don't have any trouble at all getting in my calories when they are healthy ones. And I'm still losing weight - not super fast, but fast enough to be healthy and sustainable.

When I did the formula in this post, it's nearly the same as the TDEE process I described above - I did it for sedentary (so multiplied by 1.2) and got 2,229 calories, to which I would need to add my exercise and then subtract a deficit. I use sedentary since my exercise varies each day with P90X - some days it is intense and some days it's yoga.

For those who are stalling - give it a try. What's the worst that happens??? And when I say give it a try, I mean for at least a month. You may not see results immediately, but a few weeks later I can definitely see a change.

There are a bunch of really smart women in the women eating 2,000+ calories per day group...if you have specific questions, they might be able to help!

SOOO wonderful to hear persons making the changes they desire and giving their bodies the nutrition they need. THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting and YOU LOOK GREAT!! I hope I can look as fit as you soon!