The real key to losing weight is Metabolism!!

Options

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    When you are sleeping at night, so is your metabolism.

That is nonsense. I expect this to lead to the "breakfast myth"...and I was right...

2.) Frequency of Eating:

The typical American diet is to skip breakfast, grab a decent lunch, over-eat at supper and snack at night. BAD IDEA!! To promote your body's metabolism, you should eat 5-6-7 times small meals per day.

Numerous studies have found this to not be true. This is one of those myths that need to die.

I am waiting for somebody to tell me why the hell I would want to eat 5-6-7 times per day!! How many calories would that mean for each meal?

Sorry I do not go with this multiple eating during the day, never have.

The metabolism still works during sleep too, if it stopped you would drop dead.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I wasn't being literal...sleeping metabolism is a figure of speech...of course your metabolism is NOT sleeping...it's just slower.

Slower than what?

The vast majority of your metabolic burn is your BMR, which by definition is your body at rest. If your BMR is 1440 Cals/day, that equates with 60 Cals/hour; with 8 hours of sleep, that's 480 Cals.

Exclusive of specific exercise, if your activity factor is 0.2, that means that in all your other waking activity you burn 288 additional Calories over the remaining 16 hours of the day, or 18 Cals/hour.

Breakfast doesn't "jump start" this. Actually, this fact is the basis for intermittent fasting.

And to use the thermogenic effect of eating is dangerous: no one should consume Calories in order to burn off a little bit of those Cals by its effect. And you'll get that thermogenic effect whenever you consume those Calories, in however many meals you eat.
  • yag1630
    Options
    This is still a good information ... no matter what others say.......get all the best and use it for each owns benefit.
  • chicco57
    chicco57 Posts: 298
    Options
    I think there is a lot of good advice there , thanks for sharing what you have lerarned!
  • Simomofmich
    Simomofmich Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When you are sleeping at night, so is your metabolism.

That is nonsense. I expect this to lead to the "breakfast myth"...and I was right...

2.) Frequency of Eating:

The typical American diet is to skip breakfast, grab a decent lunch, over-eat at supper and snack at night. BAD IDEA!! To promote your body's metabolism, you should eat 5-6-7 times small meals per day.

Numerous studies have found this to not be true. This is one of those myths that need to die.

I am waiting for somebody to tell me why the hell I would want to eat 5-6-7 times per day!! How many calories would that mean for each meal?

Sorry I do not go with this multiple eating during the day, never have.

The metabolism still works during sleep too, if it stopped you would drop dead.

I use to never eat breakfast. I usually ate 2 big meals a day.

I switched to eating with 30 mins of waking up and eating 5-6 times a day with the in between snack being around 150 calories and protein based with a daily calorie budget of 1665, so it is possible to manage.

I am not a doctor, but I wake up hungry now. My body is use to eating something every 3 hours or so now. To me that means my body is burning fat awaiting the next meal. Not dormant, preserving the fat or fuel like he mentioned.

We all have stories here. My story is pretty much exactly what he posted and I never saw this. It worked for me!
  • kathymc54
    kathymc54 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Simomofmich
    Simomofmich Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This is still a good information ... no matter what others say.......get all the best and use it for each owns benefit.

I agree!

Mix it! Blend it! Make it work!
  • Angelangi
    Options
    Re: the water intake.
    I have been drinking the 8 glasses per day, and i have noticed the difference, if nothing else i have noticed the difference in my skin. Even at the age of 47, I still get teenage spots :) but since drinking the water my skin has improved so much. I haven't had a single pimple for a few weeks now.
    It also does help you from eating so much. I have a bottle of water with me all the time, and if i feel peckish and its not time to eat it takes the edge off the hunger. It is a personal choice. and personally i choose to do it :) it works for me.
  • ShannanLaNae
    ShannanLaNae Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    good to know
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    1 and 2 total myths!!
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump

10100588.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    Oh Man :D I really love the OP for posting this! <3 Awesome post, Thanks for the info! :flowerforyou:

Too bad a lot of people will want to throw eggs at you for mentioning the words "metabolism", "breakfast" AND "starvation mode"... those are like curse words on here and quite a few people will - only from reading them - get a rash, a heart attack or go into anaphylactic shock :explode: I mean, is there any worse poison than breakfast?? :laugh:

I'll have your back tho! *says she as she finishes her breakfast* :heart:
  • mreko2005
    Options
    I just know, the more water I drink, the more trips I have to make to the bathroom; ergo, more calories burned.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Here's the proof eating breakfast is important. The american journal of epidemiology published a study stating those who did not eat breakfast were 4.5 times more likely to be obese. As well, these people gained more weight on average than those who ate a good breakfast. It's a fact not a myth.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/boost-your-metabolism?cat=18944&tip=18951

To the OP this was a great summary of advice

First, epidemiology studies never *prove* anything; by definition they indicate correlations only.

Second, the study you reference was not a controlled study.

Third, in that study, only 3.6% of participants skipped breakfast.

Fourth, as the study indicates, those skipping breakfast tended towards higher general Caloric intake -- that's a behavioral issue.

If not done by the time I get to it, I'll post some controlled studies which show no effect on metabolism from eating breakfast.

Again -- it may work for you due to behavioral issues, and if so, that is fine. But it is not due to metabolic reasons.
  • peprwpr
    peprwpr Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. This is exactly what my trainer has been telling me, but seeing it actually helped make some more sense of it. I do know when I started listening to him, and following this, my weight started dropping off. 23lbs, since I started training in November. Im feeling better, getting "fit", and looking better.
    THANK YOU for posting. :smile:
    Karla
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm shocked at all the negative posts! This is consistant with all the doctors, nutritionists and physical trainers that I have ever discussed it with. This is how I've lost my weight and how I will continue to live my life.

Thank you for posting - I'm sure there are SOME open minded people that are looking for suggestions.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    All the food and water stuff are myths. Your metabolism doesn't speed up and slow down. It runs at a constant base rate, and burns more based on how active you are at any particular time. Eating does not speed anything up. If anything, constant eating can hurt physical activity, since if you force your body to constantly digest food, then it's forced to use energy to keep the digestive system running. The body doesn't burn extra calories to digest food, it diverts energy from other systems. That's why you feel sleepy after eating a large meal, the majority of your energy is being diverted to your digestive system.

When you eat has no metabolic effect on your body. Also, over hydrating has no health benefits. Drink when you're thirsty to maintain proper hydration, drinking more than that does you no good.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    Wow! I'm shocked at all the negative posts! This is consistant with all the doctors, nutritionists and physical trainers that I have ever discussed it with. This is how I've lost my weight and how I will continue to live my life.

Thank you for posting - I'm sure there are SOME open minded people that are looking for suggestions.

This! I'd love to know how many of all the "there really is no starvation mode"-posters are actually doctors or scientists...
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    There have been no scientifically proven benefits to drinking extra water when you're not thirsty.
    There was a study done with two identical twins- one drank the daily reccomended amount of water every day for a month and the other just drank when she was thirsty. At the end of the month there were absolutely no health benefits for the woman who drank the extra water.
    I'm willing to bet a lot of the people who say they started drinking extra water and felt better are experiencing a placebo effect.

Of course if you WANT to drink extra water I'm not saying that you shouldn't- but I just don't understand why a lot of people on MFP preach that its a fact that you should drink a specific amount of water every day.

Article if anyone wants proof/evidence: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
    True, and true.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I understand that you're trying to help people but you should really update your nutritional information. Most of what you've written isn't correct and while none of what you said will be harmful, you're suggesting that people do a lot of things that really won't do anything towards helping them with their goals. See below.
    1.) Breakfast IS Important:

Why is breakfast soooo important? Your body is naturally programmed to conserve as much fat (energy) as possible when it is not being fed trying to protect vital organs and lean muscle tissue.

Metabolic slowdown doesn't occur intra-day and doesn't even occur after 24 hours. 48-72h fasting might start to show metabolic issues but certainly intra-day periods of not-eating are not going to cause ANY metabolic issues whatsoever. Please see www.leangains.com for research to back this up.

When you are sleeping at night, so is your metabolism. Starting your metabolism as soon as you wake-up is vastly important.

Rubbish. Your metabolism doesn't slow down during the night and you will continue to digest food. Sure, you aren't active so you aren't running around burning calories through any activity thermogensis but you're still burning calories. Secondarily and MOST importantly, you're trying to narrow your scope to acute processes when the big picture is key. Your only goal when trying to slim down is to have lipolysis exceed lipogenesis and if you're in a calorie deficit, this happens by itself over time REGARDLESS of the short term effects.

Furthermore, after you eat your metabolism increases due to something called the thermic effect of food. Thermogenesis is the process of how your body increases heat to burn calories.

Thermic effect of food is based on macronutrient content and total calories consumed. It is not based on frequency of feeding. For example, if you eat 5 meals per day at 400 calories each, TEF would dictate that, for example, you'd burn 10% of that each time you eat (I'm using 10% for simplicity). 10% x 400 = 40 and you do this 5 times and burn a total fo 200 calories per day via TEF. If I eat 2000 calories all at once for 1 meal I will burn 10% x 2000 = 200 and we arrive at the same place.

2.) Frequency of Eating:

Pretty much everything you wrote in this section was false, at least the metabolic portions. See above for an explanation of TEF. But, there's part of what you said that I'd like to comment on additionally:

An added benefit of eating every three hours is that you don't get hungry. By never getting hungry, you reduce the chances of overeating, or grabbing something quick and unhealthy just because it's there.

This is personal preference and some people DO feel less hungry eating smaller, frequent meals. However, there's adequate research suggesting otherwise and you can also find that at www.leangains.com.

In short, Ghrelin is a hunger signaling hormone that adapts itself to behavior in that if you employ a specific feeding schedule, Ghrelin will adapt to this and the end result is (for some people) that you "feel" hungry around your feeding times. The bonus to this effect is that if you choose an intermittent style of eating (for example, when I cut weight I only eat between about 2pm and 9pm and it works wonders for me) it can be easier to go longer periods without food.

and more important, when you eat after “starving,” you body will immediately convert the consumed calories to fat. Not good.

This is just physiologically incorrect, entirely.

a.) Regular cardio raises your metabolism while you're doing it, but once your finished the exercise, your metabolism immediately returns to its regular rate. On the other hand, doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) cardio raises your metabolism for hours afterward.

EPOC or Excess PostExercise Oxygen Consumption is quite overstated with HIIT. While this is from 2006, it's from one of the best sources you'll find and I'd speculate that if this were out of date, it would be removed from his site. I'll link you the information for your reading and also copy the summary here:
    http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

Summary -- This is a direct quote from Alan Aragon:

: • In acute trials, fat oxidation during exercise tends to be higher in low-intensity treatments, but postexercise fat oxidation and/or energy expenditure tends to be higher in high-intensity treatments.
    • Fed subjects consistently experience a greater thermic effect postexercise in both intensity ranges.
    • In 24-hr trials, there is no difference in fat oxidation between the 2 types, pointing to a delayed rise in fat oxidation in the high-intensity groups which evens out the field.
    • In long-term studies, both linear high-intensity and HIIT training is superior to lower intensities on the whole for maintaining and/or increasing cardiovascular fitness & lean mass, and are at least as effective, and according to some research, far better at reducing bodyfat.

A few final thoughts:
    1.) Nutrition is vastly complicated and I do not pretend to know a fraction of what a nutritionist knows, I'm just sharing what works for me.

And a few final thoughts from me too sir: Despite me not agreeing with you, please understand that there's a lot of misinformation out there regarding fitness and nutrition. I'm not attacking you personally, I just find your information to be quite out of date and I'm posting so that you don't continue to misinform people. If I spew any misinformation I expect to be corrected and when done so I'll absolutely look into opposing arguments and change my stance when it calls for it.

To use an analogy, if I were to tell someone they could eat at a deficit, lift weights, wear a red hat, and consume adequate macro and micronutrients and in doing so they would successfully improve body composition and health markers, I would be correct and I could say that this worked for me. But they don't need the red hat, and they might not like wearing it.

Multiply that logic x 1000 and you end up with people doing all sorts of crap they don't have to do. It's complicated enough as is so it's best to get people straightened out, at least to some degree.

3.) Try not to combine fats & complex carbs. Both are turned into energy (fat) by your body and the combination will pack on the pounds. A perfect example is a PB&J sandwich…which is considered to be one of the worse sandwiches in the world…same with Mac & Cheese…both high fat and high carbs.

Food combination is completely bogus and has no scientific backing whatsoever. It literally makes no difference how you combine your macronutrients.

Here are some good sources for you:

www.alanaragon.com
    www.bodyrecomposition.com
    www.weightology.net
    www.body-improvements.com

These are reliable sources that use science as the foundation for their statements, not dietary myths. These people are either top-in-their-field nutritionists and/or people who train others for a living but the commonality you'll see here is that they do their research and don't rely on anecdote or "what's in the magazines" to fuel their knowledge of nutrition.