The real key to losing weight is Metabolism!!

Options

Replies

• adlwilmot
    Options
    Wow! I'm shocked at all the negative posts! This is consistant with all the doctors, nutritionists and physical trainers that I have ever discussed it with. This is how I've lost my weight and how I will continue to live my life.

Thank you for posting - I'm sure there are SOME open minded people that are looking for suggestions.

This! I'd love to know how many of all the "there really is no starvation mode"-posters are actually doctors or scientists...

I would love to know how many people that advocate that there IS starvation mode are doctors or scientists.

If you are starving how can you be overweight? Please post an overweight survivor of a POW or Holocaust victim?

The above is completely devoid of any logic!

Holocaust victims weren´t skeletal when they went into the camps, they were "normal". Starvation kicked in as soon as they weren´t being fed! So regardless of whether you´re 160lb or 460lb, as soon as your body´s not getting food, you start to starve.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Here is another study refuting the OP's point re: meal quantity.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/tandf/ssnu/2004/00000048/00000003/art00003

From the abstract:

"In addition, no difference in total daily energy expenditure has been documented as a function of daily meal number. Weight loss is not facilitated by high meal frequency."
  • Simomofmich
    Simomofmich Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I mean there are different methods to success. His worked for him. He shared his story. Don't know why people who may have less of a result want to tear it down.

He put it out there, that's more than most people do!

Once again, I'm not taking any credit from him or his physique, he looks great.

But I'll say it again directly to you Simomofmich: If I tell you that you can achieve a great physique by eating the appropriate calorie and macro intake, lifting weights, and wearing a polka-dotted skirt to the mall between 3 and 6pm and putting grass clippings down your pants, I'd be correct.

In doing so, am I helping you?

I'll be the first to admit that you shouldn't attack people, but correcting misinformation is important.

What he did worked for him but not for the reasons he is stating and mis-statement of those reasons will cause people to think that they need to do things that they don't need to do. It complicates the process.

I did what he did. Before he even posted this and it worked for me! Period!

Since I am an example of what he posted, you can not tell me it does not work. You can talk the talk, but I actually walked the walk!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Tremendous respect to you, Sidesteal, but I am not saying that his methodologies are correct. I am just simply saying that this is what he did and it worked. He might not have accurate information about how it worked, but just simply that it cannot be disputed that he achieved success with this method.

Do you think there's value in stripping away the parts of the method that have absolutely no relevance towards the outcome, for the sake of others who strive to achieve the same goal?

Referring specifically back to this:
    This. Just because you happened to get to an awesome physique, doesn't mean it was because of what you are quoting either.

He has achieved his physique (and his results are obvious) IN SPITE of the fact that he is wrong about how it worked.

Correct. I'm curious, could you humor me and also answer my question? I'm curious as to whether or not you agree.

I'm not sure what part of his technique that you are disputing. As I said, I have used his method and it works. I don't necessarily agree that it works for the reasons that he thinks it does. That doesn't change the fact that results have been achieved. Exactly what part do you think is the "red hat" or "polka-dot shirt"?

Edit: I do disagree with the PB&J part. I still eat those and I'm still losing weight.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I got a couple questions, Sidesteal. Should the shiny side of the tin foil go on the inside or outside? And the soybeans . . . plain or salted?????

I'm new here and appreciate the great advice!!!!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I think the whole point is that they are not necessarily "basic facts." That's the whole area of disagreement. I also think that everyone posting here are well-meaning, but that some of the information is extraneous. Why make it harder on yourself? That, in a nutshell, is the point of the "detractors."
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Since I am an example of what he posted, you can not tell me it does not work. You can talk the talk, but I actually walked the walk!

I can also walk the walk sir.

Did you read my analogy and do you understand it?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Exactly what part do you think is the "red hat" or "polka-dot shirt"?

Thermic effect of feeding as it pertains to meal frequency.
    Necessity of meal frequency for metabolic purposes
    Necessity to eat breakfast to prevent metabolic slowdown
    Metabolic slowdown during sleep.
    Excess PostExercise Oxygen Consumption as it pertains to LISS vs HIIT.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. I have done just this & have lost 69# since August. I feel better than I ever have. I am stronger, physically & mentally, & am in the best shape of my life. It works. Nuff said. :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Exactly what part do you think is the "red hat" or "polka-dot shirt"?

Thermic effect of feeding as it pertains to meal frequency.
    Necessity of meal frequency for metabolic purposes
    Necessity to eat breakfast to prevent metabolic slowdown
    Metabolic slowdown during sleep.
    Excess PostExercise Oxygen Consumption as it pertains to LISS vs HIIT.

Again, these deal with his reasoning of why his technique worked. I did not condone this logic. What I said was that his technique achieved results no matter what the reasoning was behind it. I also said that I could not debate the science side of it. All I can say is that I achieved results. Whether it is behavior modification or science, I don't know.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I mean there are different methods to success. His worked for him. He shared his story. Don't know why people who may have less of a result want to tear it down.

He put it out there, that's more than most people do!

Once again, I'm not taking any credit from him or his physique, he looks great.

But I'll say it again directly to you Simomofmich: If I tell you that you can achieve a great physique by eating the appropriate calorie and macro intake, lifting weights, and wearing a polka-dotted skirt to the mall between 3 and 6pm and putting grass clippings down your pants, I'd be correct.

In doing so, am I helping you?

I'll be the first to admit that you shouldn't attack people, but correcting misinformation is important.

What he did worked for him but not for the reasons he is stating and mis-statement of those reasons will cause people to think that they need to do things that they don't need to do. It complicates the process.

The point isn't whether this particular method can achieve results or not. The OP framed it as this method being the only way to be successful. It is not, as I've basically done the exact opposite, I go 2 days a week skipping breakfast, I never eat more than 3 times a day, I only drink when I'm thirsty, I average 2200 calories a day, and I've dropped 54 pounds and cut my body fat percentage from the high 30's to the low 20's in 6 months. The OP framed it as these are basic facts that are required for success, and other people are pointing out that there is no scientific basis for any of them, and the actual facts are quite different.

I weighed myself on a sunny day and had lost weight, then I weighed myself the next day, and it was cloudy, and I gained weight. Based on that, I could tell people that you only lose weight on sunny days. Just because it happened to work out that way, doesn't mean that was the reason for it. That's the entire purpose of scientific study instead of anecdotal evidence.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

I can also walk the walk sir.

Did you read my analogy and do you understand it?

Sidesteel is correct, as ususal.

Of course what the OP is saying sounds wonderful, and may help people simply because results will happen with if you follow most decent plans, which this is, but it's also pretty much broscience and misinformation.

What's that old saying. Sometimes people stumble over the proof, then pick themselves up and carry on as if nothing has happened.
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    100% agree! I am living proof that it works....
  • pattys1054
    Options
    so true. eat less and work out more. Same for keeping the weight off. Believe me. Been losing and gaining it back my whole life. It's a lifestyle of less food and more moving!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm shocked at all the negative posts! This is consistant with all the doctors, nutritionists and physical trainers that I have ever discussed it with. This is how I've lost my weight and how I will continue to live my life.

Thank you for posting - I'm sure there are SOME open minded people that are looking for suggestions.

This! I'd love to know how many of all the "there really is no starvation mode"-posters are actually doctors or scientists...

I would love to know how many people that advocate that there IS starvation mode are doctors or scientists.

If you are starving how can you be overweight? Please post an overweight survivor of a POW or Holocaust victim?

What a ridiculous statement. Taking an extreme example to prove a basic point makes no sense but kudos on trying to inflame a conversation.
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. I've learned a lot on MFP that has changed my way of thinking. The #3 Exercise point was definitely new to me when I first joined but I know it to be true now FOR ME and this is the reason I have started to do more weight training and HIIT and it is really making a difference.

I did not know about combining fats and complex carbs so I need to reevaluate some of the things I eat because a PB&J sandwich is definitely something I will occasionally eat as a quick meal when I don't have anything else. I figured it was better than fast food.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
  • ces921
    ces921 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Here is yet another study refuting the OP on meal frequency.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=873508

From the abstract:

"There was no significant effect of meal frequency on 24 h EE or ADMR. Furthermore, BMR and ACT did not differ between the two patterns."

Again, if it works for you for behavioral reasons, go for it. But people should be aware that there is no scientific basis for it in terms of metabolism.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Calories in and out- I ate about 1000 calories more then normal yesterday and lost weight without changing exercise. Sometimes it just depends what you eat.

Meal frequency theory - more meals equals more time in digestion mode (your obviously burning energy to do this...like turning a light off and on repeatedly vs leaving it on. Doing it fast enough burns more electricity from the spikes?) and no 'stretching' your stomach (that moment where you feel hungry after eating a small meal your hungry because your use to more). If you eat fewer but larger meals sometimes the chemical breakup works better. We should be watching macronutrients for a reason right? Im assuming if I eat all sugar wait till thats digested and then eat all protein those 2 things dont have a chance to meet up? Can anyone tell me if Im way off?
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    bump