Answering the door

Options
dippystick
dippystick Posts: 168 Member
Do you always answer the door when someone knocks on it?

I work overnights and sometimes on my day off I just want to chill at home by myself. I know a person who is retired and gets bored and lonely. This person comes to my door every Saturday around noon and knocks and knocks on my door. Sometimes if I worked 12 hours on Friday night (usually makes five 12 1/2 hour shifts in a row so at noon, I'm not awake yet) I don't want to answer the door. When I see this person later they complain because they knew I was home as they saw my truck. They get mad because I didn't answer the door.

Sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with company or have plans I don't want to change so I don't answer the door.

Replies

• helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    no I don't. It's my house, my haven and if I don't want people intruding I just let them knock.
    The other day a sales guy was knocking on the door, could see me through the window ( I was on the phone) and keep knocking. I answered it finally and he said I have been knocking for ages, I knew you were in.
    I'm sorry this sounds so rude. I shut the door.
    My house....my rules
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    When I work all night I sometimes can't be bothered to answer, if it's important they'll leave a card, back to sleep
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I don't, no. I'll hide in the lounge unless I'm waiting for something specific. Not that people knock all that often.

Last week I was ill and couldn't really leave my bed. Someone knocked for absolutely ages, hammering loudly on the door. I guess they assumed I was in because the car was on the drive, but it usually is even if I'm out because I walk to work most days. Anyway, they kept knocking loudly for ten minutes, no exaggeration. Then, I heard them go to the side of the house, open the gate, make their way into the back garden and then try the back door handle and rattle it around as though they were hoping it would open and they could get in. At this point, I started worrying. I got out of bed (slowly, but ready to make a move if I had to), and then heard this person walk back around the front of those house. A minute later, the letter box went.

About twenty minutes later I found the energy to go downstairs. There was a parcel slip saying 'parcel is in the bin in the back garden'. So, I went to the bin and in our rubbish wheelie bin, the dirtiest of all of our bins, they'd dumped a big box. They must have deliberately avoided our much cleaner recycling bins out of spite. Took the parcel upstairs, got the scissors and cut it open, then saw a big wooden box inside with a logo that I recognised from a neighbour's car. The parcel was for the house two doors down, not even for me. GRR.
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I don't answer if it's the POLICE
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I look out the window first. If I don't know them, I don't answer. Usually just people selling something, or asking if they could do something for some money.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I rarely answer the door, and I rarely answer the phone. If Dollhouse is true and Rossum is real, I'll be fine.
  • zdragonone
    zdragonone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not only do I NOT answer it, when I worked nights I told people that THEY were rude for not being considerate of my hours. It is MY door and I will answer it if I want to. Same with the telephone.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    That's obnoxious! I would not only not answer the door, I'd be really PI@#ED OFF. If they're lonely tell them to get a dog.
    Then they have the nerve to complain to you that the door wasn't answered? You must be a wonderful wonderful person not to tell them off. FRIEND ME!:blushing:
  • puppywalker
    puppywalker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I rarely answer the door, and never if I am home alone. Intruding on your personal space and your time to yourself is very rude on their part. Why don't you try knocking on your neighbor's door very late at night or very very early in the morning and maybe they will get the idea.

By the way, I rarely answer my phone either unless it is my husband, daughter or a friend. Anyone else can leave a message.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I usually don't answer if its not someone I know. If a neighbor kept coming around because they were bored I would probably not answer most of the time, especially if I were trying to rest.

Knock on their door around midnight, and just say you couldn't sleep and needed some company. :P
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Depends. I live in an apartment complex, and my next door neighbor and I are always in each other's apartments. We are both home makers, so it keeps us occupied. We both tend to knock and walk right in. But anyone else, I check the peep whole to see if I want to answer it or not. There are certain people in our complex that I do not want in my house for any reason. And then there is this little old lady who I'm sure is just lonely, but makes me crazy cause she can never take the hint that I've got things to do and need to keep moving. I think she's coming by later to check out a website. I'm keeping my blinds closed today so she can't see me in the house, and if for some reason I run into her outside, I plan on telling her my internet isn't working right now. I'm short a kiddo this weekend, and I want to take advantage of the quiet and lack of help so I can get things done around the house.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hell no, if I'm not expecting company, expect no reply...........and I always look to see who it is out another window........
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I never answer my door unless I see it's someone I know and care to see. I also never answer calls from numbers I don't recognize (and even sometimes from those I do recognize).
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    When I lived at home, my mom always made me answer the door, so one time, an innocent, unsuspecting Jehovah's witness got the p!ss scared out of him. When I lived there, my brother had a red Siberian Husky and a lot of people thought he looked like a coyote for some reason, so when this guy asked me if he was a coyote, I said "Well, yeah, we had to get something to keep the Bobcat company..." He left right after that and we never had any other Jehovah's witnesses. :laugh:
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I'm with you and NO I dont' and that person would confront me ONE TIME. You got to learn to make THEM more uncomfortable than they make you.

I would not have some neighbor watching (tracking) my vehicle. Tell them flat out. IF I want to visit, I will open the door to you. IF you are going to stalk me, we are getting the police involved. period.
    NOBODY invades my privacy. NOBODY invades my boundaries. Those that try, very much regret it. I don't tolerate that crap.

I'm not called 'wicked cricket' for nothing
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    i never answer the door. the 'private drive' to the top of my long driveway is there for a reason. my home is my sanctuary and i don't take kindly to ppl violating it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options

I work overnights and sometimes on my day off I just want to chill at home by myself. I know a person who is retired and gets bored and lonely. This person comes to my door every Saturday around noon and knocks and knocks on my door. Sometimes if I worked 12 hours on Friday night (usually makes five 12 1/2 hour shifts in a row so at noon, I'm not awake yet) I don't want to answer the door. When I see this person later they complain because they knew I was home as they saw my truck. They get mad because I didn't answer the door.

Sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with company or have plans I don't want to change so I don't answer the door.

Usually because I used to sell door to door and know that these guys are just out making a living like others do. Also many burglars case houses of those that they think AREN'T home. They don't usually burglarize a home where someone is actually there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have a neighbor who likes to come knock and complain. You can't get rid of him for 20 minutes. I feel I reserve the right to not answer my door, just as I reserve the right to not answer my phone. Let people get mad. The only person you have to please is yourself.
  • KellyAFraley
    Options
    Uhh, no! If I make plans with my friends for them to come over they just walk in because if they knock
    my two small dogs go buzzerks barking. If I am not expecting anyone I do not answer the door. I look
    out the peep hole and watch them walk away! lol

The only time I will answer the door for a stranger is if it is UPS, and usually bcs you have to sign for that stuff.
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I never answer the door when im on my own - i watch too much CSI and criminal minds, im terrified that it'll be a psychopath haha. My window cleaner also scares me a lot and he likes to ring the bell and have a chat...