Answering the door

Options

Replies

• Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    For more years then I care to mention, I have done shift work. I use to place a note on my door that read "Disturb at your own risk" this was my younger years.

I am not allowed to do it anymore, but I have done many things to deliver my message about my sleep pattern, answer the door in a pair of boxers and a torn t-shirt; answer with a baseball bat and as soon as I open the door go rushing out and ask where the emergency is since they are disturbing my peace.

If this neighbor is keeping tabs on you then they should be aware that you are also doing shift work and that you need sleep. Kindly explain this to them next time they come calling.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I always answer my door just to avoid awkwardness later -- but I have no problem telling people I'm not in the mood to visit or I'm trying to rest.

I very rarely answer my phone, though -- I think that's from working years in customer service and practically having one glued to my head all day -- I hate phones now, I barely even use a cell phone....
  • gemmaldavies
    Options
    no I don't. It's my house, my haven and if I don't want people intruding I just let them knock.
    The other day a sales guy was knocking on the door, could see me through the window ( I was on the phone) and keep knocking. I answered it finally and he said I have been knocking for ages, I knew you were in.
    I'm sorry this sounds so rude. I shut the door.
    My house....my rules

i feel the same. very rude if sum1 still stands there.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    NOPE...I HATE it when people stop by unnanounced. huge pet peeve!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Do you always answer the door when someone knocks on it?

I work overnights and sometimes on my day off I just want to chill at home by myself. I know a person who is retired and gets bored and lonely. This person comes to my door every Saturday around noon and knocks and knocks on my door. Sometimes if I worked 12 hours on Friday night (usually makes five 12 1/2 hour shifts in a row so at noon, I'm not awake yet) I don't want to answer the door. When I see this person later they complain because they knew I was home as they saw my truck. They get mad because I didn't answer the door.

Sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with company or have plans I don't want to change so I don't answer the door.

Do you always answer the door when someone knocks on it?

If they are getting mad, you have every right to tell them in no uncertain terms that you are working nights and you are not even up at noon, let alone feel like talking to anybody. They can either like it or lump it, you do not have to apologise for occasionally wanting time to yourself!

Seriously, how dare they complain, it's all very well for them, they are not working through the night like you are!!

Anyway, just because your truck is there, doesn't mean you might not have gone off somewhere without it, they are taking you for granted.

With regards to your question about answering the door, no I do not always answer it, you are not alone.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    When I lived at home, my mom always made me answer the door, so one time, an innocent, unsuspecting Jehovah's witness got the p!ss scared out of him. When I lived there, my brother had a red Siberian Husky and a lot of people thought he looked like a coyote for some reason, so when this guy asked me if he was a coyote, I said "Well, yeah, we had to get something to keep the Bobcat company..." He left right after that and we never had any other Jehovah's witnesses. :laugh:

LOL. Too funny. Sometimes you just have to tell people not to call or come over and your reason why. If they don't get that then it is their problem. Don't make it yours.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I don't answer if it's the POLICE

PMSL!!
  • sarahmargaret12
    Options
    I live in the country so not to many people knock on my door. When I lived in town I was ALWAYS getting people knocking on my door (friends of the tenant before me) it drove me so crazy I put a sign on the door that said that person moved.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Only for really close family. Other than that, I need an appointment.

Oh yessssssssss. I watch too much Criminal Minds, too. I don't care how innocent you look or if you're the mailman, if I'm alone, I'm not answering the door without early notice. :laugh: I'm pretty sure that pisses off the UPS guy though. :blushing: He's given up and has left my packages behind some bushes unless a signature is required. And even then, I just sign the release form for the driver to leave it.

Plus, I've been cautious ever since someone tried to climb through my mom's bedroom window. :frown: Seriously, 3 of us were at home, and someone still tried to get in. :noway:
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Nope, I often hide & pretend there's nobody home.
    I also have the ringer on our phone switched off - it has been on silent for about 4 or 5yrs now.
    We have cellphones if people are really desperate to get in touch, but I far prefer to receive a text (which I can reply to when I feel like it) to a call.
    I hate people calling by unannounced & I won't do it to anyone else unless I know they're the type who love and encourage it.
    I used to be 'normal' - now I like to be left alone. My reclusiveness increased in direct relation to my loss of self-confidence I guess.
  • thinmintme
    thinmintme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Nay I don't. What's the point? I don't own this house so no, I'm not investing in fixing the gutters, replacing the shutters, putting in a new roof that I don't need seeing as that it was completely redone five years ago.
    I don't donate my cans to school groups around here looking for money to support their sports teams. I pay the deposit on those things myself and I plan on getting every cent back, too.
    I'd rather not buy cookies, tickets, magazines, subscriptions, etc.
    Church? No, sorry, I have my own beliefs. Stop handing me pamphlets and pushing your agenda or else I'll go back inside, scan some documents of my own and shove those in your face. (Fortunately for us, they've stopped coming around this past year or so...can't hold my breath, though.)
    No, the homeowner is not home.
    If the mail man's here, I'll know because the truck has a distinct sound that everyone in this house can recognize and for that, I'll answer the door.
    We don't conversate with our neighbors for the most part. We keep to ourselves. I'll mind my business if you'll mind yours. And after some of the things we've heard from the old lady across the street, I sure as heck won't be sharing my life story any time soon. (She knows everything! Scandals! Affairs! It's insane how much people talk in this neighborhood....)
    Our dogs usually ward off anyone who rings the doorbell or knocks. Their growls and snarls are vicious and our beagle's howls are almost deafening. Most people just walk away. Thank the gods! Because, believe me, if the doorbell doesn't stop ringing or the knocking doesn't cease, the dogs won't shut up. And then I'm forced to go outside and snap at someone. Happened last Halloween. Porch lights were OFF. Dumb little kids still had the ignorance to ring our doorbell. We didn't even have decorations up. I can't stand people, sometimes....*sigh*
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I generally don't answer the door and I never answer the phone. I talk on the phone all day at work, last thing I want to do is talk to someone when I get home.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Nope, never answer it.

If one of my neighbors says something about it, I just say "you have my number...call." We have Jehovas Witnesses that come out every Tues, Wed or Thurs, so I usually use them as an excuse.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    We have a street level front foor but live on the first floor. I removed batteries from the bell as it would be pressed by drunk kids passing in the middle of the night so now anyone who want us has to knock. No one I know personally would come over without calling first so when someone does knock I can just lookout my living room window to the front door & see who it is.I will often ignore it if I don't know who it is with the exception of the postman.If some neighbour was *****ing to me about not answering my door especially after working night shift I would tell them to piss off. You could always leave a note on the door, something like "night shift worker, do not dsiturb before 3pm" that should be clear enough.
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    When I lived at home, my mom always made me answer the door, so one time, an innocent, unsuspecting Jehovah's witness got the p!ss scared out of him. When I lived there, my brother had a red Siberian Husky and a lot of people thought he looked like a coyote for some reason, so when this guy asked me if he was a coyote, I said "Well, yeah, we had to get something to keep the Bobcat company..." He left right after that and we never had any other Jehovah's witnesses. :laugh:

You know what has worked for me, when I saw them coming (the same ones came every week for 6 months!) and was fed up with them not taking no for an answer. Standing outside chatting with a neighbor and as soon as I knew they were within ear shot but to far to talk to me I started going on and on about oral sex and one night flings ROFL! The look on their face was priceless and they never bother me or my neighbor ever again lol
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have to laugh because I have spent half my day knocking on doors today. Sighs. It's my job. I work for the US Census. People hate me most of the time. I DO try and call first if your number is listed. Most other workers don't do that. But we do have deadlines and pressures and we have to do what we do. I never take it personal any more.

I do answer the door most of the time but we have a security system and can see who it is first. I don't always answer the phone however. I have to be in the mood. ;)
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I am nearly 20 years old, and when I'm home alone looking after my little brother i will not answer the door after 8pm. I guess it's just something ive been brought up not to do? =/ my mum has always told me not to answer the door late at night! Many different reasons reallly, but i just cant open the door when my mum isnt home and its late, if anyone wants to come in at night time when mum isnt here, then they know to ring me so i know there comeing =)
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    I can't say I have ever "NOT" answered the door. I don't have pesky neighbours, I don't often experience 'intrusions'. If had a troublesome neighbour .. I think I would be honest enough to say "If I don't answer the door, don't be offended .. I'm probably sleeping in". Unless it's something REALLY important, come back later.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i usually answer. sometimes not when it's a salesperson, however. i'm just not interested, so it would be a waste of his or her time.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    My husband works away all week, so no, after dark I don't answer the door.
    I actually live in a very safe area, but my next door neighbour works in a rough local pub & if the someone knocks on the door at night chances are it'll be one of her pissed up mates looking for her. I've even had one walk into my house when I'd forgotten to lock the door.:mad: