The secret to losing weight...

Options

Replies

• needtolose50lbs
    Options
    You are spot on. Thanks for the revelation!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! Thank you.:flowerforyou:
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'll keep this in my topics for those days we all have ...
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This going to take awhile to get thru
  • cmonster84
    Options
    I normally don't read long posts, but I am glad I read yours!
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!!!
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump!!! LOVE IT!!! SOOO motivating and just what I needed to read today
  • jamierose86
    Options
    bump
  • BeccaCO2004
    Options
    I started weight watchers on 2/12/12. My start weight was 214.2, I went in and weighed in today and I lost an amazing 6lbs, just watching my portions and what I ate. So today my inital weight starting myfitnesspal will be assistance and support throughout my weight loss journey to become healthy and thinner. I am so excited. This week I am going to start my activity points and my goal is to work out 15 minutes 2 times this week. So I am looking for friends, advice and want all to know that keeping a food journal has helped me a great deal.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    To lose weight forever you should strength train. Strength training is different than weight training. Less weight, more reps, develops leaner, stronger muscles and will not bulk you up.

True, you need to strength train. But a personal trainer friend of mine (who is currently taking the classes to re-certify) said that more weight fewer reps is best for everyone. Lifting a weight that is light isn't going to do you any good, you have to work for stronger muscles. Women, and men for that matter, will NOT bulk up like a body builder without the use of steroids and testosterone. It's just not possible. So, don't fear those weights! Go for more weight and fewer reps! No such thing as "toning" as it's really just building muscle all the same!

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said!
  • afikaris
    afikaris Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I keep telling myself slow and steady wins the race and you have definitely reaffirmed that for me! Thank you for the wonderful post!
  • lookgood46
    Options
    I agree 100% but I have some questions!

Can you do all this and have a life too? I.e is it ok to have a glass of wine or two at the weekend without undoing all your good work?
    How do I know what my daily consumption of carbs, fat, protein etc should be? I'm 5.3' 147 lbs looking to lose belly fat in particular but 10lbs overall.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    A muscle is a muscle, and its strength is proportionate to its development. There is no way to grow a "leaner" muscle. This is like people who try to talk about toning as if it's not simply muscle growth vs bodyfat percentage.
    Yes hexrey there are fatter and weaker muscles. Muscles with fat insertions and big masses of muscles with no or little strength.
    "leaner, stronger muscles"? I'm sorry, are there fat, weak muscles?
  • kiwi1003
    kiwi1003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am 63 and have been put on diets or dieting since I was 6 months old! You have put into words exactly what I've learned over the years. It's YOUR goal. YOU set it and YOU take the responsibility to attain it. It's not anyone else's problem or business.
    Thank-you for your words - well done.
    katey
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This was the sweetest, most positive and realistic post I think I've ever read on here.

Thank you for writing this. :)
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Great posting!
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Such an excellent post - I may print it and read it intermittantly
  • smileybooliz
    smileybooliz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! This is so true!! Very well written!! Everyone here on MFP needs to read this and know it's so true!! I'm also going to save this and read again and again!! Thank you for taking the time to write this!!
This discussion has been closed.