Replies

• Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CanadianMomma
    CanadianMomma Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Love this. I appreciate the time you put into writing this.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of that, however:

To lose weight forever you may not skip meals. So you must eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, with snacks in between and after. Look for a steady even intake of calories throughout the day to keep your metabolism going.

Your metabolism doesn't slow down if you skip a meal. Skipping meals may even benefit your weight loss (check out Intermittent Fasting for example). I skip meals all the time, if you want to see how much that's helped have a look at my ticker.

I do agree with what you say about patience and realising it will be a life change.
  • kimberlylane16
    kimberlylane16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Very well written! Thanks :)
  • gaylecw
    Options
    Awesome post!!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    ::SIGH:: lots of nonsense in that post

HRMs, not necessary, they can be useful for some, but i'm willing to guess that the majority of people who have lost weight and kept it off, did not use a HRM
    To lose weight forever you have to learn how to eat. You can’t be eating junk food, processed food, take out food, sweets and candy for a majority of your diet. That food is high carb, high sodium, high fat and high calorie. Although you may fit this food into your calorie profile for the day, in the long run you aren’t doing your body or yourself any favors. Eating that way is what got you here. Your diet is anything you eat. There’s no going on a diet, but there is changing your diet. Fresh vegetables, salads, calorie free dressings, lean protein, low carb / healthy carb, the 40/40/30 plan, this is how you have to learn how to eat.

Please read up on discretionary kcal allowance, beyond that you shouldn't use ratios to determine macros so there goes advocating 40/40/30 (which is 110 btw) and what is a healthy carb?
    To lose weight forever you have to eat. As I always say, God’s little joke on us all. Here on MFP your calorie deficit, based on the amount of weight you have chosen to lose a week, (1 lb, ½ lb, etc.) has already been calculated and is reflected in your daily required calorie intake. Women may NOT eat less than 1200 calories, and men may NOT eat less than 1500. Eating less will probably make that scale stand still, and you may also gain.

Putting arbitrary amounts of cals that you can't eat under is nonsense. You have to take into consideration ht/wt and many other factors. I guess PSMFs and VLCDs work by voodoo since they are under both allotments
    To lose weight forever you may not skip meals. So you must eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, with snacks in between and after. Look for a steady even intake of calories throughout the day to keep your metabolism going.

There is no metabolic advantage to increased meal frequency and your metabolism doesn't stop, so i fail to see how a steady intake of cals will keep it going

The only "secret" you need to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit, ideally you shouldn't over complicate it by worrying about when and what to eat. zomg do i have to eat breakfast, can i eat carbs after 4pm, blah blah. While i have no doubt all the things you listed worked for you, your rationale behind many of things listed is just an opinion and not based in any sort of fact based reality

Well said ACG.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    To the OP, there is much I appreciate in your post. However, those point ACG made are important. Making those this one "must do" to lose weight is simply pushing things too far. Yes, for weight loss, permanent change is needed, but not in those areas. I like my HRM, but can lose just fine without it. If I eat as many times as you advocate I am always hungry and fall of the wagon. But overall your focus is great.
  • basenji
    basenji Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    great post!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Let's sum this up...to lose weight:

1. Calorie defict through eating and/or increased activity.

The rest remains personal preference.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FiremanSam111
    Options
    Bum. P.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Great post. =)
  • knelson422
    Options
    All I have to say is "Why not me?" Why shouldn't I be able to do this. I kick my butt out of bed at 5:15 to work out for an hour, then take care of my fam all day, why shouldn't I feed myself better food instead of junk? I need to find sweetness in life, not in food. Thanks for the thoughts. I appreciate you taking the time to post this. I have bookmarked it.
  • nonna02
    Options
    :wink: :smile:
  • einee14
    einee14 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I've been on my weight loss journey for just about 4 years now. I've lost 125 pounds, and come to think of it, I've kept it off for almost 2 years now. Last year, I ended up having 3 surgeries, 2 very debiliating surgeries on my hip, nothing to do with being overweight a genetic issue. However, with that said, I've kept off essentially everything but about 10 pounds. Yet, I continue to beat myself up about those stupid ten pounds. I get close to that "2" number on the scale and I flip out! It is all about choices and putting what you want into perspective. Do not tell me that because you are injured you can't lose weight or maintain your weight, bc that is a bunch of crap! It's about making smart and mindful choices! As much as I want a flipping greasy burger or fatty slice of pizza, I know it won't help me in the end and it will make me feel worse!
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    OP, your post consists of much more opinion than fact. It was great of you to take the time to share what's worked for you, but the only thing we "must" do to lose weight is maintain a calorie deficit, and the only thing we "must" do to keep it off is to avoid a calorie surplus.
  • neverlost
    neverlost Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Women may NOT eat less than 1200 calories
    Thanks, saved your post on my computer. I still struggle with this ^^ when I don't plan my day well.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    OP, your post consists of much more opinion than fact. It was great of you to take the time to share what's worked for you, but the only thing we "must" do to lose weight is maintain a calorie deficit, and the only thing we "must" do to keep it off is to avoid a calorie surplus.

My opinion has let me lose 50 pounds. I've tried to lose before,but nothing worked really until I started following these guidelines. True, each person is different, true, certain things may be tweaked for the individual, and yes, I have even more to lose, but I will lose it, and I will keep it off, and I can do it. In general, whether you like it or not, for the majority, this is the best way to do it.
  • Holmesfamily26037
    Holmesfamily26037 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
This discussion has been closed.