The secret to losing weight...

Options

Replies

• MaryEffingPoppins
    MaryEffingPoppins Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    *Slow Clap into fast clap* That was SPOT ON! Thank you for sharing. That was much needed.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xxTAMxx
    xxTAMxx Posts: 614
    Options
    *High Five*
  • leogirl724
    Options
    well done you
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I agreed with you completely up until:
    To lose weight forever you have to eat. As I always say, God’s little joke on us all. Here on MFP your calorie deficit, based on the amount of weight you have chosen to lose a week, (1 lb, ½ lb, etc.) has already been calculated and is reflected in your daily required calorie intake. Women may NOT eat less than 1200 calories, and men may NOT eat less than 1500. Eating less will probably make that scale stand still, and you may also gain. Also you should eat back your exercise calories, either half or all. Remember, your calorie deficit has already been taken out of your daily total, so not eating your exercise calories back may also cause you to plateau or gain. Exercise calories are bonus calories to be eaten joyfully. You can use these extra calories daily, or save some up and have a weekend splurge, or plan for a special occasion. Best plan is to use any saved calories weekly. For more information do a search on “starvation mode” here, and you will find some great posts with excellent information.

but the rest is very very useful.

p.s. not the part about eating less than 1200, the part about eating back all your exercise calories and starvation mode.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Well said.!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This is why I stay with MFP!! Just fab!!
  • onewithwings
    Options
    Where's the *like* button?

DITTO! We need a "like" button!
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    bump, why not? :wink:
  • claresusan
    claresusan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump for motivational reading as time goes on!! Tnx for posting :-)
  • petrocoetsee
    petrocoetsee Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I really enjoyed reading this! It is so true. A diet will not have lasting results, only a life style change can do that.
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Calipalm
    Calipalm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    :heart:
    Very inspiring post!
    Long but so worth reading!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see Acg, Rileysowner and Kateroot standing up for facts and logic. A well intentioned post, but nothing that has any real hard basis in reality. That's the problem with people pushing "the secret," or saying you "must" do x, y, or z. It takes what could be a nice, motivational post and pushes it off the deep end. You end up with a lot of people reading it, wasting tons of money on HRM's, completely changing everything about the way they eat, still having the same problems they had before they read the post, get frustrated, and quit.

None of the things mentioned in the OP are necessary for weight loss or weight maintenance. The only thing required for weight loss and maintenance is eating an appropriate number of calories.

As for the mumbo jumbo about having to eat all throughout the day to keep insulin levels steady, that's junk science. Keep eating throughout the day you keep your insulin elevated constantly, until you go to sleep and they crash just as hard, if not harde than they would have had you eaten fewer meals throughout the day. Insulin is supposed to rise and fall, it's not supposed to remain constant, it's this strange desire to keep insulin constantly elevated that causes so many metabolic issues, as it completely ruins the normal hormonal function of the human body.
  • dolphin21
    dolphin21 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Nicely said.............!
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Absolutely spot on.
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    To lose weight forever you should strength train. Strength training is different than weight training. Less weight, more reps, develops leaner, stronger muscles and will not bulk you up.

True, you need to strength train. But a personal trainer friend of mine (who is currently taking the classes to re-certify) said that more weight fewer reps is best for everyone. Lifting a weight that is light isn't going to do you any good, you have to work for stronger muscles. Women, and men for that matter, will NOT bulk up like a body builder without the use of steroids and testosterone. It's just not possible. So, don't fear those weights! Go for more weight and fewer reps! No such thing as "toning" as it's really just building muscle all the same!

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said!

Thank you! GIRLS! LIFT AND LIFT HEAVY!
    Just because you go big doesn't mean you'll get big! It takes a whole lot of supplements to become a body builder!
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    bump
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    LOVE this.
This discussion has been closed.