Questions For Married Folks (For A Class - Help Appreciated)

Options

Replies

• stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    How old were you when you got engaged? How long had you been together before getting engaged? How old were you when you got married? Are you still together (if so, for how long)? Doing some informal research for a class - answers appreciated!

How old? I was 15 he was 19
    How long? together 1 year
    Married? I was 17 He was almost 21
    Still married? Yes this April 36 years married
  • mandrox1
    Options
    I have been with my husband for 10 years, this summer. We lived together for 4 years, and got married when we were 21. We have been married for 3.5, and were engaged for 2.5 years before we got married. And we are still together.
  • zxaxel
    zxaxel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was 13 and she was 12 when I chased her around the school playground. We got married a week after high school, she was 18 and I was 19. We have been married 31 years this summer … 2 kids and 4 grandkids later. Not everyone gets to marry their dream girl but I did :):)
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    Together 8 yrs before getting married
    engaged Sept 8/04
    Married Dec 28/04
    Still together.
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was 33 years old when I got engaged. We knew each other four months before he proposed and we were married a little over four months later (I was still 33 as we met 9 days before my 33rd birthday but actually had our first date 5 days after my 33rd birthday). We are still together - will be ten years on June 2nd of this year. :-)
  • KitchenBabe
    Options
    How old were you when you got engaged? We were both 24, seniors in college.

How long had you been together before getting engaged? We had known each other for a year (did NOT like each other though) and then became friends for another year, dated for another year and then we got engaged. it was so important to us not to make a mistake and not to rush anything.

How old were you when you got married? We were both 25.

Are you still together (if so, for how long)? We had been married almost 20 years when he had a midlife crisis thing (no, it is NOT just a cliche) and he left me. We stayed apart for three years and he finally convinced me to file for divorce, and when I did....he realized he wanted me back. It took some work, and our divorce was only six weeks from being finalized when we pulled it all together and renewed our wedding vows in a ceremony to celebrate our 20th anniversary, which our five year old daughter just LOVED. She was the flower girl. We don't really count those years apart, and so we have been married since 1985 :)
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I knew my husband for 3 1/2 years before we started dating. We dated for 6 months before we got engaged. We were engaged for 4 months before getting married. We got married when I was 23 and he was 26 (same age as when we were engaged). We've been happily married for just over 8 years. :smile:
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Met my husband 6 months before we started dating. Dated 6 weeks before marrying. I was a few weeks from turning 25, husband was 38. We have been married nearly 15 years.. still together.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I was 17 and he was 18 when he asked me to marry him.
    We had been together for almost 2 years.
    I was 18 and he was 19 when we got married.
    We are still together. We've been together for 19 years and May 4th will be our 17th wedding anniversary.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Met husband when i was 17 ...courted for 5 months , he went away to work ...and when he came back asked me to marry him .Married at 18.. and still together after 47 yrs ...retired ...and had 4 children . Hubby 3 yrs older than me ...
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    How old were you when you got engaged? How long had you been together before getting engaged? How old were you when you got married? Are you still together (if so, for how long)? Doing some informal research for a class - answers appreciated!
    My husband and I were 18 when we got engaged, married at 19. Before engagement we were friends for 2 years and dated for 1 year. Still going strong ...married 11 and 1/2 years! :)
  • Maxingtonbear
    Maxingtonbear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Got engaged- 23 years old
    Had been together for 13 months before engagement
    Got married- 24 years old
    Still together for 9 years, married 6 1/2 years
  • Cindib13
    Cindib13 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was 18, he was 17- got together
    Both 18- got engaged
    Both 18- got married
    Together 6 months before engaged
    Married 1 month later
    Been together 16 (with a 2 yr break/divorce 2 yrs ago)

Crazy, I know.
  • Bsnell10
    Options
    Got engaged in 2007 dated for 6 years never got married....dated my husband for 2 months got pregnant...5 weeks after 1st baby second baby came along got engaged in the spring of 2009 married october 2010
  • newnormal2010
    Options

We got engaged in December 1990, when we had been together almost 2 years. I was 23 and he was 24. We'd met in January of 1989 and started dating, then I graduated from college in May of that year, and we began a very long, long-distance relationship!

We got married in October 1994, when I was 27 and he was 28. We lived in different states for all of the time in between, and this was back in the day when you had no choice but to pay for long distance calls by the minute! We waited to get married until we were finished graduate school, but thanks to my new job and his (too prestigious to turn down) internship, we didn't live together full time until August 1995! We're still happily married, now with 2 kids.

While we were engaged, and before we set the date, people used to ask us, "So when are you two going to get married?" My then-fiance always answered, "Oh, after 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first!" :wink:
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Met when I was 16 he was 17

Started dating Sept. 7, 1993 (me 18, he was 19)
    Married October 7, 1993
    Married for 18 yrs, 4 mos, and 12 days
  • groovybeenz
    groovybeenz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    We started dating when I was 16, got engaged when I was 19, got married when I was 22. Been married 6 yrs now and happy. :heart:
  • DenverKos
    Options
    Met in August 2000 - I was 25, he was 32.
    Engaged a year later in September 2011
    Married May 2002
    Will celebrate our 10 year anniversary this May
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options

1. 20 (engaged for 3 months, together for 1 year total)
    2. 1 year
    3. 21
    4. Yes, it will be almost 10 years
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    hi Kate!

let's see: marriage#1 -- engaged @ 26, married @ 27.... no longer together (married 5 years).
    marriage#2 -- engaged @ 36, married @36.....still together (5 years in March but really 10 years in Oct. together).

hope this helps! :smile: