How bad is diet coke for me?

Options
I am confused about diet coke is it as bad as drinking regular soda? People tell me mixed things I have 1 can for dinner and 1 can for lunch ..but I also drink plenty of water..should I eliminate it out of my diet?

Replies

• nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Mmm. Everyone has their own opinion. Apparently, studies are linking aspartame to multiple health issues. I haven't read too much about it, though. I think pop is bad either way, but I do have a Diet Coke every now and again. Usually I don't drink anything but water and don't miss pop all that much.
  • whiplashy
    whiplashy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The question I've been afraid to ask! I used to only drink regular coke. Now I have one glass of diet coke a day and the rest is water. There's no way I'm giving it up.
  • Belladonna261
    Options
    Any artificial sweetners are not good for you and many people slam them. However, for now I am sticking with my diet coke as it is really helping my hunger and sweet cravings, I'll deal with the artificial sweetners when I've formed better habits with my eating!
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet drinks because of the sodium. Use Stevia to sweeten my ice and hot tea.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I used to drink diet coke all the time but I started hearing more and more negative things about it so I cut way down. I may have one once or twice a month now. I drink mainly tea instead. I have noticed that I do not crave sweets as much since I cut the diet coke down and I had heard that was related.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Only drink coke in my rum :drinker:
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've eliminated 154 pounds from my frame and I've drank diet coke pretty much each and every day doing it.......I figure the weight loss benefits pretty much even out the potential ( often talked about never proven) side effects of diet coke......
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't know one over the other I don't drink sodas at all because of the excess sodium and I retain water big time. There are lots of opinions on carbonated drinks period. In Moderation I would say to anyone consuming them.
  • CaitlinR85
    Options
    I agree with you Belladonna. One thing at a time!

I've heard so many awful things about artificial sweeteners, including actually MAKING you crave real sugar, along with links to more serious health issues.

However, one thing I know for sure is that being obese is extremely unhealthy. So, once I get my eating/exercise regime under control, maybe I'll look at alternatives to the diet coke/pepsi!
  • cavemancop
    cavemancop Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    its horrible, Im trying to give it up myself but since I used to drink it all the time I got adddicted to it. I try to drink coffee and tea instead now, and avoid everything artifical
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    This is the second thread on the same topic that I've replied to in less than an hour... so... yah... I'm repeating some info here.

Most of what you hear about diet coke is a myth. I have no idea why people turned it into a boogieman. I just googled "aspartame + metabolism" and OH WOW... it's no wonder people are terrified of the stuff... but 99% of what I saw on google was baloney.

Here's the simple truth-

Diet coke is acidic... if you drink it all the time and never brush your teeth, it could erode the enamel of your teeth.

Diet coke has caffeine in it, and caffeine can increase the acid production in your stomach. If you're prone to heart burn, it could make your heart burn worse/more frequent.

The aspartame in diet coke is metabolized into methanol, aspartic acid, and phenylalanine. Methanol is further metabolized into formaldehyde. People use this info to make aspartame seem extra scary, but concentration matters. Methanol, aspartic acid, and phenylalanine are all found in natural foods. Aspartic acid and phenylalanine are even part of us! They are molecules that are used to help make proteins and enzymes that keep us alive! So unless you're eating a ton of aspartame and over-loading your system, the compounds aren't going to hurt.

A few people are especially sensitive to aspartame for some reason. They will experience headaches, etc.. but most people don't.

And... that's about it. I'd never call diet coke a health drink, but I drink it. And if you like to drink it, then I think you should go ahead and drink it and not feel bad.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I really like Diet Coke...I usually have a cup of it once a week as a treat. I haven't experienced any problems from drinking it.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I love diet coke, but try to only have it occasionally now - the biggest risk from sodas and diet sodas alike is to your teeth. Acid/sugar erosion Is not good, therefore it's better to drink a glass or can all in one go or use a straw rather than sip it over a long period of time.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet drinks because of the sodium. Use Stevia to sweeten my ice and hot tea.

I don't drink diet soda very often, but 40mg per can (diet coke) is not all that much sodium.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    I practically breath diet sunkist/canada dry/a&w as if it were oxygen.
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    Research acesuflame potassium (or K) if you wish
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Only drink coke in my rum :drinker:

Love this post! :)
  • zebedee44
    Options
    Not sure if this helps.......................................(and it might not be true!!!! but thought it was interesting)

Water or Coke?

COKE

#1. In many states the highway patrol carries
    two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from
    the highway after a car accident.

#2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke
    and it will be gone in two days.

#3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the
    toilet bowland let the 'real thing' sit for one hour,
    then flush clean The citric acid in Coke removes
    stains from vitreous china.

#4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers:
    Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds
    Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

#5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour
    a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble
    away the corrosion.

#6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola
    to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

#7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into
    the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake.
    Thirty minutes before ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix
    with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

#8... To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke
    into the load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run
    through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen
    grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your
    windshield.

WATER

#1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
    (Likely applies to half the world population)

#2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak
    that it is mistaken for hunger.

#3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as 3%.

#4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs
    for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of
    Washington study.

#5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

#6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of
    water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain
    for up to 80% of sufferers.

#7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term
    memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on
    the computer screen or on a printed page.

#8.. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of
    colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast
    cancer by 79%., and one is 50% less likely to develop
    bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water
    you should drink every day?

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

#1 the active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid.
    It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric
    acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major
    contributor to the rising increase of osteoporosis.

#2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup! (the concentrate) the
    commercial trucks must use a hazardous Material place
    cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

#3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean
    engines of the trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a glass of water or Coke?!

:drinker:
  • ChristopherFiss
    ChristopherFiss Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero for me. The sodium isn't too bad, and it has a bit of caffeine for when I'm running down.

There are countless biased studies for and against Aspartame and Potassium sweetening, but so long as your diet soda isn't replacing your water as your go-to drink you aren't really suffering. It won't add much to your diet, nor will it be any good for you...but if it helps you avoid a regular soda, it has done its job well.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps.......................................(and it might not be true!!!! but thought it was interesting)

Water or Coke?

<snip>

Lots of misinformation there.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp