How bad is diet coke for me?

Options

Replies

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I have heard that there is a link of aspartame to fat storing....and of course other medical issues.
    I think anything in excess is no good. Diet coke should be treated as a treat. I would just drink water. Diet or not diet it is all junk.
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    i always have at least one can of diet juice a day, sometimes 3 or 4,
    calorie wise its not too bad but im sure there will be someoene who has or will post all the bad things about it..... BUT it wont stop me drinking it. lol
    think a can of diet coke is 3 cals per can..... suits me
  • zebedee44
    Options
    Not sure if this helps.......................................(and it might not be true!!!! but thought it was interesting)

Water or Coke?

<snip>

Lots of misinformation there.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

Good shout! I stand corrected :happy:
  • fmw123
    fmw123 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I expect it's OK when it forms part of a balanced diet!
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is fine for a couple reasons - #1 you enjoy ingesting chemicals instead of real food and #2 you don't mind corroding your tooth enamel.

Just look at the ingredients of the Diet Coke. Do you really want to put that stuff inside your temple?

"The erosive potential of colas is 10 times that of fruit juices in just the first three minutes of drinking, a study last year showed."
    http://www.livescience.com/7198-acids-popular-sodas-erode-tooth-enamel.html
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I might just rephrase your question slightly: how good is Diet Coke for you? That's why I stopped drinking it. It's not so much that it's evil, but it certainly isn't doing anything particularly good for you.
  • kittybitz79
    Options
    Didn't Mythbuster have an episode to debunk coke myths ... there was a lot about the myths and facts were different.
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am confused about diet coke is it as bad as drinking regular soda? People tell me mixed things I have 1 can for dinner and 1 can for lunch ..but I also drink plenty of water..should I eliminate it out of my diet?

Personally, I would eliminate it from my diet and stick to water but that's just me! I am sure that it is just as bad as regular soda in some other way besides calories. If you can't do it cold turkey, try to drop down to one a day then maybe half a can then to none. Good luck :)
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I might just rephrase your question slightly: how good is Diet Coke for you? That's why I stopped drinking it. It's not so much that it's evil, but it certainly isn't doing anything particularly good for you.

I like this train of thought! Helps you choose to right things to put into your body rather then justify if things that are "less bad" OK to put into your body. I will start using this for other things :)

I guess I have been thinking this way in some way since I recently decided to try to stay away from Pringles even if they are "light" I rather put something natural in my body like almonds :)
  • Another controversial issue so I'll just skip reading all the replies and add my own .02. Nope. Drinking tons of it. Bad. Drinking some here or there along with lots of water, fresh fruits, veggies, nope. I don't believe in cutting anything out completely that you enjoy. Just don't chug it by the 2 liters.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've lost 51 lbs and drank diet soda the whole time!
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is linked to many health problems. It is very rare that I will eat or drink anything containing aspartame. That includes most "diet", "light" or "sugar free" foods and drinks. One less health issue I'd like to worry about!
  • sklivvz
    sklivvz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here is some scientifically valid information on diet colas and aspartame. All answer provide direct links to peer-reviewed studies, so there's no hearsay or speculation.

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/search?q=aspartame

In short, there's nothing majorly wrong with either diet sodas or aspartame.
  • sammycool1986
    sammycool1986 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love diet coke and aspartsame is in most diet or sugar free foods. I'm diabetic so can't really avoid aspartame at all. SO i'm just buggered :)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    "The erosive potential of colas is 10 times that of fruit juices in just the first three minutes of drinking, a study last year showed."
    http://www.livescience.com/7198-acids-popular-sodas-erode-tooth-enamel.html

Interesting study. However, most people don't leave their teeth immersed in soda, as was done for the study. Good dental hygiene is important.

They also mention citric acid as the most erosive acid in soft drinks. Oranges and lemons are fruits are high in citric acid. Should we stop eating those?
  • michellef216
    Options
    when i started my "lifestyle change" i switched to diet pepsi & pepsi max. Then i heard it was worse for you then regular so i stopped drinking it. The first day i had withdraw i think because i had a severe headache. But i'm was fine the next and that week i lost 6 lbs!!! Even though there was no calories or sugar in the pop i was drinking, i think it has something that makes you gain weight.I still occasionally have a can of pepsi max but not 6 a day, not even 1 a week.
  • saraht23
    Options
    I love, love, LOVE soda/coke/pop (whichever name you prefer) :) but this helped convince me to replace my Diet Dr. Pepper w/ water:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2oUpSc/www.rodale.com/facts-about-soda?cm_mmc=ETNTNL-_-800538-_-02042012-_-dek

I used to have 1 per day. Now I try to limit myself to 1 or 2 a week. I'd like to give them up all together, to be honest.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I only use diet coke to remove rust from my motorcycle (it works). A guy I use to work with use to drink 2 diet coke a day and ended up in the hospital because it ate the lining in his stomach (crazy). Mom was rushed to the hospital because her heart was bad and the hospital said it was because she drank so much pepsi. She stopped and lost weight but started drinking it again and gained more back. My bf blames pepsi a bit for his weight gain. Every time he cuts it out he looses (pretty sure it has something to do with what food goes good with pepsi too). I use to drink a lot of rootbeer and taking this out of my diet and not changing anything else made me drop weight but more noticably my tummy went flatter.

With that said, its not healthy obviously but you can still loose weight and drink it
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I drink diet Coke with Splenda. I have cut back to one per day and plan to cut back more.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    In moderation its not bad for you at all.