Why dont more people learn martial arts?

Options

Replies

• rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Do lots of cardio.

Do strength training.

Work on flexibility.

Buy a Glock.

That about covers everything.

yupers it sure dose, altho i prefer a .45.....its big and scary..lol
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    For me it's mainly the cost. You have to buy the uniform, which isn't cheap, and then there's the monthly price. If you then add in the fact that my husband only wants to do some super obscure form of martial arts whose name I can't even remember, it then makes it even harder to do it. Here in Korea there's Tae Kwon Do everywhere but that's definitely not what he wants to do. I know he wants to put our daughter (and eventually son) into classes regardless of whether or not they like it or want to be there. Me as the mom who is in charge of the money, I don't see the sense in keeping my children in something that they don't enjoy. Yes I know it's good for them to be active and to learn how to protect themselves but it's equally as important for them to enjoy what they're doing, otherwise they're not going to give it their all or ever practice for their belt tests.
  • SoozeeQ_RN
    SoozeeQ_RN Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am starting karate lessons in about a week. My sister is taking her black belt test this month and convinced me to circuit train at her dojo. I am more comfortable at the dojo than I ever have been in any gym I have ever been to. They have taught me how to properly & safely modify the exercises for my (very beginner) fitness level. I am 44 years old and still have 125 more lbs. to lose. My doctor also thinks it is a good idea for me. I am looking forward to starting this complete "mind, body, spirit" type of training. What I really like is that I don't feel like I need to compete with the other participants, only improve myself. :wink: :heart: :happy:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the main reason: i hate having to wear a uniform.

i used to play capoeira and it was LOTS of fun, but the uniforms were expensive (like $75) and you had to wear the uniform to each class. so if i wanted to go to class a few times a week, i'd either have to do laundry multiple times a week or shell out the dough for another pair of pants.

besides that most martial arts places have a pay per class deal. that wouldnt be a problem if i didnt also LOVE lifting weights and need to pay for a gym as well. at $20 a class, if i only did 1 class a week that adds up to about the same price i'd pay for my gym membership.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    it's expensive
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'll be testing for my second degree black belt in Taekwondo this year. WOOT! I love doing it, it helps keep me flexible and strong. :)
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I never had an interest in it. I go into flight mode anyways and have never been in a physical fight. My husband took a year of it, got hallways to a black belt. He loved it, but he can't stand the head gear they wore during completions. My mans a fighter anyways, its so amazing to watch cause he can kick and move so fast, and he's only 5'4 so its a shock to most people.
  • thesmallo
    Options
    For those worried about costs and physical limitations teachers in the system below covers both. On the health and fighting spectrum it's somewhere in the middle. On the Yin and Yang spectrum also somewhere in the middle but since the arts in the system are internal the training becomes more yin...all arts ultimately become more yin and internal. Speaking of which should go to bed. Training in morning.

http://www.natsta.org/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    I was helping out my sensei in a shopping centre display last weekend, trying to bring more students to our school. When he was talking to them he made what i thought was a great point.

People learn to swim so they dont drown if they fall in the water. they do first aid courses to help people that are injured. why isnt learning martial arts to protect yourself from an attack seen as something just as important?

and lets face it. you arent around water all the time, and if you dont know how to swim, you probably wouldnt go near it anyways. but you are around people everyday. so what is more likely? being attacked in the street or drowning in the ocean?

for those of you that dont do it, i would like to hear your reasons why. this will help me (and in turn my school) bring in more students as we will be able to eliviate some of the reasoning that people have.

and if you want to lose weight (and i know you do, thats why you are here), punch "karate" into the exercise database and see what it comes up with. you will be buying those funny white pyjamas in no time.
    I can count on one hand the amount of times I (or even a family member) has been attacked...................zero. That's in 48 years. There isn't enough of a reason to spend money on it for a once a week lesson that may do nothing to save yourself from a beating. And let's face it, it's one thing to learn and practice in a dojo, and another to employ the skill in the street. Not to mention I've seen SO MANY black belts get clocked once and hit the ground. The majority of dojos don't practice taking a hit in the jaw or face.
    If taking it to lose weight and learn discipline is something someone wants to personally do, then that would be legit. But using the "self defense" argument is weak.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I dont do it because theres no place to keep my beer cold in those places j/k and I dont like the idea of walking around barefoot possibly getting other people toe jam foot fungus or tapeworms. Also its to old fashion for example why are all the secrects ALWAYS ancient chineese or Japanese or any ese's for that matter. Cant they come up with some modern day secrets hell no its like an old technology, like an outdated computer. MMA is where real modern fighting is at but not everyone likes to be punched and kicked around. My point is that your example learning to swim bit sounds more like a sales pitch to make your master rich. To each their own but there just seems like there are more practical excersises people can do and enjoy with out the paraniod mind set of getting thugged.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I do no-gi jiujitsu, dabbled a tiny bit with Mui Thai and want to do Krav Maga and Aikido - its just finding the time. Jiujitsi is a great work out but it can be intimidating to women (especially the no-gi way of sparring) - I am pretty much the only female at my gym and jiujitsu is mainly ground work. I am not sure if it helps that I am old enough to be most of the guys' mother, but all the guys I roll with are really respectful....but its pretty awkward at first.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Jujitsu is practically useless in a street fight, unless its one on one (which it usually never is). I won't rehash my previous posts (page 2), but 99% of martial arts out there is useless in a street fight capacity. Niner actually brought up a good point, most martial arts don't practice getting punched in the jaw....actually a lot of martial arts don't even allow sparing. I've been in fights and seen a lot of fights, due to being in law enforcement, and I can tell you the person who reacts first and who's attacks are the most violent is usually the winner.

Now being fit and confident is more important than knowing any type of self defense. If you study victimology, most victims are chosen due to their outward appearance and body language. Even if you're a female, 5'1" and 90lbs, if you carry yourself well you're less likely to be attacked than a 5'10", 200lb, male who looks sloppy and unconfident. Criminals pick on the easiest prey, and if you look like easy prey, you'll be attacked. Now will that prevent all attacks? No, because your lifestyle plays a large part. If you hang out in an urban area at 2:00am on a regular basis, go to bars, clubs, or a soccer game in a foreign country, you're putting yourself more at risk of an attack.

A side story, there is a famous interview with a cop killer who actually left home one day with the goal to kill a cop. The guy actually stalked 3 different cops, passing over two before he finally found a victim. The reason he chose his final victim? He was sloppy, boots unpolished, overweight, and an overall unkempt appearance. The other two officers looked fit, hair was neat and they were clean shaven, polished boots, and impecable uniforms. He picked his victim because he knew he could take him. Your outward appearance plays the largest role in any attack.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I can tell you the person who reacts first and who's attacks are the most violent is usually the winner.

Too true...

My Muay Thai instructor drills it into us that we've basically got one chance. (And also, don't kick.)

But best defense is avoidance...
  • mamaparks87
    mamaparks87 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to take martial arts but shy away from it for a few reasons...
    1. I feel like everyone already knows everyone else there (my sister took it and when I would go sit no one talked to me but rather already had cliques)
    2. I am far too self conscious to yell as I punch or kick, much less actually spar.

I realize this is a personality flaw of mine. My self consciousness holds me back from any group activity that may be physical.
  • thesmallo
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind is unlike other physical activities MA ideally requires and lots and lots of time. Sure one can practice MA as just another hobby but to get the most out of the arts it should be a lifestyle that requires hours of practice. For example between class today and my own practice I put in almost three hours -- but doesn't feel nearly enough -- and that's on weekends. During the week I'm lucky if I can get an hour or two.
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Seriously though, would love to try some Krav Maga!

I LOVE Krav Maga! Have been training for about a year and it's amazing! :-)

The only thing I would say about why people *wouldn't* take Krav Maga is that it is very intense and some people a) don't think they should need to build up their cardio (which you do, as you get exhausted in a street fight and then some guy's three friends are coming around the corner and you need to fight them next) and/or b) aren't comfortable going full steam with attacks/defenses and kicking and punching other people (with pads, of course) - this is especially true for new people, some get intimidated (especially women - not everyone, of course, just as a generalization).

Me? I'll never beat a huge guy with strength, but with good technique, speed, and aggressiveness, I stand a fighting chance!

I really like that the situations are realistic and train you for things that happen in the real world.
  • thesmallo
    Options
    Seriously though, would love to try some Krav Maga!

I LOVE Krav Maga! Have been training for about a year and it's amazing! :-)

The only thing I would say about why people *wouldn't* take Krav Maga is that it is very intense and some people a) don't think they should need to build up their cardio (which you do, as you get exhausted in a street fight and then some guy's three friends are coming around the corner and you need to fight them next) and/or b) aren't comfortable going full steam with attacks/defenses and kicking and punching other people (with pads, of course) - this is especially true for new people, some get intimidated (especially women - not everyone, of course, just as a generalization).

Me? I'll never beat a huge guy with strength, but with good technique, speed, and aggressiveness, I stand a fighting chance!

I really like that the situations are realistic and train you for things that happen in the real world.

Speaking of which on a Krav episode of "Human Weapon" one of the hosts an MMA fighter was told by his teacher -- "you're a very good ring fighter but you know nothing about self-defense."
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    I enjoy kickboxing rather than karate, but like a lot of people said, martial arts is pretty expensive. I just enjoy doing the kickboxing videos on Exercise TV, which is free :)
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It's SO expensive! I barely have enough money for things that HAVE to get done this year. And, I'm pretty uncoordinated. I can barely walk and talk at the same time. Clumsy should have been my first name. I personally also have a very big self conscious attitude. It usually only comes out to play when I am face to face with a stranger, but I always feel like people are staring. BUT...I have to say...it is pretty cool when you see two people who really know what they are doing sparring.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't because it's expensive.:frown:

This, unfortunately. I tried Kendo for a while, but couldn't advance into the real practice because I couldn't afford the kit or membership anymore.