Why dont more people learn martial arts?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    $$$$$

I love self defense and martial art classes. I seem to be (according to my instructors) a natural at them. But they are so costly. Got to take a few classes basic self defense classes "for free" in college (part of my required courses, so tuition covered it) and some free TaeKwonDo lessons while I've been here in Korea. Loved them both. But until I make a LOT more money, the closest I'm going to get is some TaeBo off of Youtube :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sixela0827
    Options
    i had no idea that MA was one of the more expensive activities out there! we put our daughters in TKD just because it was so cheap! we pay 25$ canadian a year for membership, (nine months a year, three 2 hour classes a week) paid 20$ for the pjs, and 40$ for each test. I have to say i feel really blessed that we have our school! I'm so impressed with our TKD school that my husband and i are joining nest year with our girls! (one of which won the best first year student trophy , sorry had to brag)
    i agree with the OP, it was very important to me that my girls have at least SOME idea of how to properly throw a punch, people always say how useless MA is in a street fight, but ...its better than no knowing anything, imho.
  • dixeyk
    dixeyk Posts: 20
    Options
    Is it any more expensive than a gym? I pay more for gym membership than I do for my martial arts classes. I've been at it now for almost 20 years and you just have to find the right teacher. There are big schools then there are just small groups or individual teachers that have much to teach and will do it for very little money (or free). There is a lot to learn form the martial arts and the "fighting" is just a small part of it. In fact, the longer yo do it the less and less it is about fighting.

If you're just beginning I suggest Tai Chi or Qi Gong (its not all old ladies in the park). Chen Tai Chi is the most martial and vigorous but there is much to learn from any form. Its also a terrific way to start study in a low impact way. In my younger days I trained heavily in Aikido and Japanese sword (Aikido BTW is NOT low impact) but today I study XinYi and Tai Chi and find it to be both a great workout and a lot of fun. Also 45 minutes of martial arts practiced at a vigorous pace burns about 600 calories.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Jujitsu is practically useless in a street fight, unless its one on one (which it usually never is). I won't rehash my previous posts (page 2), but 99% of martial arts out there is useless in a street fight capacity. Niner actually brought up a good point, most martial arts don't practice getting punched in the jaw....actually a lot of martial arts don't even allow sparing. I've been in fights and seen a lot of fights, due to being in law enforcement, and I can tell you the person who reacts first and who's attacks are the most violent is usually the winner.

Now being fit and confident is more important than knowing any type of self defense. If you study victimology, most victims are chosen due to their outward appearance and body language. Even if you're a female, 5'1" and 90lbs, if you carry yourself well you're less likely to be attacked than a 5'10", 200lb, male who looks sloppy and unconfident. Criminals pick on the easiest prey, and if you look like easy prey, you'll be attacked. Now will that prevent all attacks? No, because your lifestyle plays a large part. If you hang out in an urban area at 2:00am on a regular basis, go to bars, clubs, or a soccer game in a foreign country, you're putting yourself more at risk of an attack.

A side story, there is a famous interview with a cop killer who actually left home one day with the goal to kill a cop. The guy actually stalked 3 different cops, passing over two before he finally found a victim. The reason he chose his final victim? He was sloppy, boots unpolished, overweight, and an overall unkempt appearance. The other two officers looked fit, hair was neat and they were clean shaven, polished boots, and impecable uniforms. He picked his victim because he knew he could take him. Your outward appearance plays the largest role in any attack.

I am assuming that your comment re jujitsu is in response to my post - if not, apologies. But where in my post did I say I did it for self defence?
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    it's hard to work it into my schedule and budget. the self defense thing is not a problem. I've been jumped several times and always seem to come out on top. I have a lot of self defense training through various jobs where being attacked was common. I want to get my son into it soon, just trying to workout a schedule that will allow it. maybe when my wife gets out of school.
  • glittermouse
    Options
    Now being fit and confident is more important than knowing any type of self defense. If you study victimology, most victims are chosen due to their outward appearance and body language. Even if you're a female, 5'1" and 90lbs, if you carry yourself well you're less likely to be attacked than a 5'10", 200lb, male who looks sloppy and unconfident. Criminals pick on the easiest prey, and if you look like easy prey, you'll be attacked

A side story, there is a famous interview with a cop killer who actually left home one day with the goal to kill a cop. The guy actually stalked 3 different cops, passing over two before he finally found a victim. The reason he chose his final victim? He was sloppy, boots unpolished, overweight, and an overall unkempt appearance. The other two officers looked fit, hair was neat and they were clean shaven, polished boots, and impecable uniforms. He picked his victim because he knew he could take him. Your outward appearance plays the largest role in any attack.

EXACTLY.

I live my life by this rule.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    1. I feel like everyone already knows everyone else there (my sister took it and when I would go sit no one talked to me but rather already had cliques)

You visited some pretty rude places it seems.

I know at any of the places I've visited, if there's an observer sensei will go talk to them partway during the class, ask if they have questions, explain what's going on, etc.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Why don't you learn to sew, garden, write a proper essay, do double-dutch, and make souffle?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Now being fit and confident is more important than knowing any type of self defense. If you study victimology, most victims are chosen due to their outward appearance and body language. Even if you're a female, 5'1" and 90lbs, if you carry yourself well you're less likely to be attacked than a 5'10", 200lb, male who looks sloppy and unconfident. Criminals pick on the easiest prey, and if you look like easy prey, you'll be attacked. Now will that prevent all attacks? No, because your lifestyle plays a large part. If you hang out in an urban area at 2:00am on a regular basis, go to bars, clubs, or a soccer game in a foreign country, you're putting yourself more at risk of an attack.

This is 100% true.

But I have to say I've become a lot *more* fit and confident since I started Aikido. Does it mean it's directly applicable? Probably not. But I carry myself better, my confidence and awareness are all better, and my fat% is a lot lower.
  • kwehrheim
    Options
    I live in the middle of nowhere, and there are no schools around that teach the styles I'm interested in learning (Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu)... which will not help you in any way to figure out how to bring in new students.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    I seem to be (according to my instructors) a natural at them.
    Classic soft sell technique. Kinda like a sales person at a dress shop saying "that looks really good on you."

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

This is 100% true.

But I have to say I've become a lot *more* fit and confident since I started Aikido. Does it mean it's directly applicable? Probably not. But I carry myself better, my confidence and awareness are all better, and my fat% is a lot lower.

this makes sense, I've never thought of it that way but the time I got jumped I looked like a homeless guy. I had an old over sized hoodie with sewn up rips on it, and a pair of old jeans. those poor little gang bangers didn't know what they were getting themselves into.
  • glittermouse
    Options
    I seem to be (according to my instructors) a natural at them.
    Classic soft sell technique. Kinda like a sales person at a dress shop saying "that looks really good on you."

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

bwahahahaaa. Probably true in most cases. I wasn't paying the instructors and they weren't offering or trying to push lessons or classes. And just like a clerk in a clothing store, I know when something looks good on me and when something looks good on me. ;)
  • arleylange
    Options
    Cost and time. The places around here charge $100+ a month. And the only time I have to work out is early morning, and maybe at some point during the day when my older children are at school. Evenings are the only times there are classes, and that does not work for me at all.

That said, in the past i have studied judo, shotokan karate, kung fu, krav maga, tae kwon do, and if it counts at all, kickboxing. Loved it, miss it, not a good time in my life to continue.