Misinformation.

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused... I completely agree that a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of bricks, and a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. Only the most stubborn people will try to argue that one pound weighs more than another pound. But, that doesn't necessarily mean feathers weigh the same as bricks. Does one cubic inch of fat weigh the same as one cubic inch of muscle? I've tried to do my research elsewhere but I'd love some input here.
    Muscle, by equal VOLUME, will ALWAYS weigh more than fat......................................except in space where they are equal in weight.

Yep, gonna keep confusing you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Chester_1
    Chester_1 Posts: 26
    Options
    Muscle, by equal VOLUME, will ALWAYS weigh more than fat......................................except in space where they are equal in weight.

That's what I had thought. So if I were to stay the exact same size but, through some Wolverine-style experimental surgery, replace all the fat with muscle I would weigh more, right?. Unless I went to space which, as far as I've been able to tell, is the only instant weight loss solution ;)
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused... I completely agree that a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of bricks, and a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. Only the most stubborn people will try to argue that one pound weighs more than another pound. But, that doesn't necessarily mean feathers weigh the same as bricks. Does one cubic inch of fat weigh the same as one cubic inch of muscle? I've tried to do my research elsewhere but I'd love some input here.

IDEA Fitness member
    Yes, but it will still have more mass than an equal sized chunk of fat in space. If you put a 1 cubic foot chunk of muscle and a 1 cubic 1foot chunk of fat in space then put a marble at equal distance between the two, the marble will slowly gravitate toward the muscle.
  • gaylecw
    gaylecw Posts: 34
    Options
    Love love this!!!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Yes, but it will still have more mass than an equal sized chunk of fat in space. If you put a 1 cubic foot chunk of muscle and a 1 cubic 1foot chunk of fat in space then put a marble at equal distance between the two, the marble will slowly gravitate toward the muscle.

Very very slowly...
  • kimbly71
    kimbly71 Posts: 188
    Options
    Intelligent and thought provoking! Thank you for posting this. :)
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Much needed bump today.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Much needed bump today.

We should bump this every day.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bravo!
  • mishmash81
    Options
    Well said, I am one of those people that do not post often - but read to learn more to make sure I'm on the "right track". Thanks for posting, you have brought my stress levels down hehe
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A lot of fitness junk is pretty grey-area. You'll see people argue til they're blue in the face (blue in the monitor???) and post articles/facts/studies supporting both sides.

I usually trust the advice of whoever is sexier.

Never steers me wrong.

LOL... At the beginning of the response I was thinking "like politics and religion". Then I saw the second to last statement and lost it. Too funny. But on a serious note- I agree with misinformation being a bad thing, and I try not to reply to questions that I know absolutely nothing about.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'd like to talk about something.

Often times on the forums, we'll see someone post what looks like a helpful post full of dieting information. If the information is faulty, some people will reply with the intent to correct it in the hopes that too many people don't buy into the bad information.

Then a bunch of people will get upset with the guy or gal who is trying to correct the person, saying "Stop hating" or "Stop being so negative!". (Sometimes people do post rude replies but it seems like any disagreement is arbitrarily viewed as negative as of late).

Misinformation is bad.

I will give you a few examples to attempt to explain why:

Let's look at meal frequency, which would fall into the personal preference category. Does meal frequency matter?

It might matter for behavioral reasons and it might matter for performance reasons and if it leads to better gym performance it could minimally effect expenditure. But it DOES NOT effect metabolism and if someone says this gem:

"It's very important to eat every 3 hours so that your metabolism keeps burning. If you skip a meal your metabolism will slow down and your body will actually STORE FAT. So please make sure to eat every 3 hours". (<--- this claim is entirely false)

...this is problematic because people who DON'T currently eat frequently might think "Crap, I'm doing it wrong. I'm going to have to fix this". Now they're going to reschedule what could be an eating pattern that works very well for them based on the bad information that increasing their frequency will increase metabolic rate. Additionally, they'll have to eat smaller meals (because they would obviously keep kcals/macros constant) which would probably have a negative effect on adherence/satiety.

Is eating frequently arbitrarily bad? No. It's personal preference. But convincing someone that it's metabolically relevant is BAD, because this convinces them that they must follow this advice.

Lets look at a different example from a recent thread:

"You shouldn't combine carbs and fats in the same meal because it will cause your body to store fat!"

This was recently posted in a topic and not only is it completely bogus and not supported by anything, but the end result was (literally) that someone replied with:

"Thanks so much for this, I'm going to stop eating PB+J sandwiches".

So someone comes on here and posts something completely false and out of fear, another person eliminates something they enjoy from their diet. Now, for all we know someone else is reading that post and not replying, because they're in the kitchen stressed out over how they're going to re-arrange every meal in their day so that the carb sources aren't ever eaten with fat.

This is not a good thing.

There's a very small list of things that are necessary to lose weight.
    There's a very large list of things that are personal preference for losing weight. (In this list I include medical reasons, moral reasons, individual intolerances).

Both of these are important, but focus on the necessities first and customize the personal preference aspects to give you the best adherence or most enjoyment possible out of your journey.

And don't confuse the two for yourself or others.

/end rant.

This is the only "misinformation" rant I've ever read that doesn't contain.......well......different misinformation.

A good practical lesson in keeping your rants short and to the point.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Maybe cause the marble is paleo?

IDEA Fitness member
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is should be a sticky. Even I have gotten good correct information from some of my previous misinformation that was passed on to me.

IDEA Fitness member

Yep. I remember that thread. It was deleted shortly after you admitted that you may have been misinformed.

Clearly that type of behavior is not allowed here.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is should be a sticky. Even I have gotten good correct information from some of my previous misinformation that was passed on to me.

IDEA Fitness member

Yep. I remember that thread. It was deleted shortly after you admitted that you may have been misinformed.

^ Was that the one about running vs walking and energy expenditures?
  • talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    great post bro,
    I really loved it! thanks for the information.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

^ Was that the one about running vs walking and energy expenditures?
    Yep. That was the one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Niner -I am intrigued. I may have unwitingly been using some of that broscience with respect to running v walking . What was the conclusion?