Misinformation.

Options

Replies

• leogirl724
    Options
    It is each member's responsibility to take every piece of advice with a grain of salt.

Also, for those posting misinformation, if they knew what they were saying was false, they probably wouldn't keep saying it. I think the big problem is many of the posters giving advice only look at the OP, but never read the actual thread. That's why you have these long threads with lots of arguing, and then you have the same piece of misinformation repeated over and over, and the posters never learn the truth about what they are saying. If they simply read the thread, they would see that their beliefs are false and they wouldn't keep contributing to the misinformation.

But I think the larger issue is the misinformation all over the internet. There are too many web resources from people with MD or PhD credentials perpetuating these myths.
    EXACTLY!
  • leogirl724
    Options
    People usually post what works for them....

a successful plan will be different for each person.

I have helped girls who have the same medical condition as me by simply telling them what I do and I am well aware that what works for me, might not work for all of them...but so far so good

but I never offer advice unless asked...."how did you do it?"
  • rutkowsm
    rutkowsm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There's a very small list of things that are necessary to lose weight.
    There's a very large list of things that are personal preference for losing weight. (In this list I include medical reasons, moral reasons, individual intolerances).

Both of these are important, but focus on the necessities first and customize the personal preference aspects to give you the best adherence or most enjoyment possible out of your journey.

And don't confuse the two for yourself or others.

I've not read the entire thread, but I just had say that I love this sentiment. There's so much "it worked for me!" on the forums, and I think it's totally legitimate to want to share what worked for you because, honestly, it might be helpful for someone else because they have a similar lifestyle, eating habit, medical condition etc. But sometimes people mistake that personal preference with weight loss necessity, and that's when it gets frustrating.
  • snaggly
    snaggly Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    As an absolute newbie to fitness and weight loss, I was completely and utterly confused by all the contradictory information posted on this site :laugh: :laugh: :sad:

I got even more confused when I spoke to different personal trainers because each one had his/her own way of doing things :laugh:

BUT at the end of the day, I have learnt so much from this site and am slowly finding out what works for me long term. I mean, who the heck knew who Tom Venturo or what IF or spiking was before venturing on this site??

Thanks to all the knowledgeable members here for posting about your successes, failures and your take on all the info out there :smile:

It takes a while to sort through the B.S. Sidesteal, Acg, and Ninerbuff are really really great guys to listen to. They know their stuff and are happy to provide source information if you ask for it.

Okay, thanks for letting me know. If I start asking though, I won't stop because I know nothing about all this, lol.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Emphasis on the "personal preference" part. I'm one of those people who needs to eat frequently or I crash, no matter what I'm eating. The thought of eating only three meals a day is completely foreign to me. It's honestly difficult for me to understand how anyone could eat that way, but I do understand that, because what works for them doesn't work for me, what works for me won't necessarily work for them. I think a lot of people who post on these boards fail to see that.

Of course, then there are those who try to deny the existence of scientifically proven evolutionary functions of the human body, but that's a whole different topic.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!!!!!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Best post I've seen in a while..

Esp because I was reading a post a few days ago, that people were telling the OP you shouldn't eat so much fruit because there is a lot of sugar in fruit, and it will halt your weight loss and even make you gain weight... Um what? So not true... and when I posted that, none of them(there was like 3 people that posted that exact same statement) bothered to contradict me...

Crazy how people get to thinking how they do!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    *snip*
    (Apologies Sidesteal if I'm misinterpreting - feel free to correct)

You are exactly correct.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this, Sidesteal. Greatest post I have seen since I joined.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

This indirectly goes hand in hand with what I said about the Pb+J, and why it's so important for people to discuss the validity of information offered. The vast majority do not research so they are most likely to take information as true. Especially if the OP has abs.

Good post Acg.

There are words on this post?? I didn't noticed.. Sweet beautiful abs!! Woo Hoo!! Sorry.. couldn't resist. :laugh:
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Bumping this up, not because I wrote it, but because apparently there are plenty of others that need to see it.
  • trmecham
    Options
    I have a question about meal frequency and because I don't want misinformation, I thought I would post it in this thread. I haven't lifted competitively in ten years, but years ago the prevailing thought about meal frequency seemed to focus on the body's ability to synthesize protein--around 30 grams every two hours or so. We would eat small protein dense meals every two hours or so for positive nitrogen balance. Has that line of thinking been debunked?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have a question about meal frequency and because I don't want misinformation, I thought I would post it in this thread. I haven't lifted competitively in ten years, but years ago the prevailing thought about meal frequency seemed to focus on the body's ability to synthesize protein--around 30 grams every two hours or so. We would eat small protein dense meals every two hours or so for positive nitrogen balance. Has that line of thinking been debunked?

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • Sidesteal
    Options

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

^ Thanks Acg -- This article linked above is excellent.
  • trmecham
    Options
    Gentlemen, I am in your debt. Looks like I can sleep in a little longer because I won't have to eat twice before going to work to get my 60 grams of protein for the moring. Woo hoo!
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Gentlemen, I am in your debt. Looks like I can sleep in a little longer because I won't have to eat twice before going to work to get my 60 grams of protein for the moring. Woo hoo!

^ And you are a perfect example of why it is important to dispel myths. By removing this false requirement from your diet, you've just gained a buttload of convenience.
  • lialuck13
    Options
    A lot of fitness junk is pretty grey-area. You'll see people argue til they're blue in the face (blue in the monitor???) and post articles/facts/studies supporting both sides.

I usually trust the advice of whoever is sexier.

Never steers me wrong.

hahahaha. this. :)
  • chelsey202
    chelsey202 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great post, much appreciated info
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is should be a sticky. Even I have gotten good correct information from some of my previous misinformation that was passed on to me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Chester_1
    Chester_1 Posts: 26
    Options
    Can I add one? A pound is a pound is a pound. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound if bricks! Muscle does not weigh more than fat!!!

I'm a little confused... I completely agree that a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of bricks, and a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. Only the most stubborn people will try to argue that one pound weighs more than another pound. But, that doesn't necessarily mean feathers weigh the same as bricks. Does one cubic inch of fat weigh the same as one cubic inch of muscle? I've tried to do my research elsewhere but I'd love some input here.