Misinformation.

Options

Replies

• meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    A thread worth reading AND replying to. You, sir, are the bee's knees. :)

One day I hope to meet you and Crystal and the three of us will go to a buffet.

Belly up!!! Just get me a bib and I'll be good. Hah!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I wish more people would understand that correcting "misinformation" is NOT a personal attack.
  • DaveMXF
    Options
    Great title, there is plenty of misunderstood misinformation in this whole thred.
    My .02
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Great title, there is plenty of misunderstood misinformation in this whole thred.
    My .02

You are welcome to point it if you would like.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Sidesteal you were my MFP hero! Such a true post.

And I want to be invited to the buffet. Lol
  • I1ahunt
    Options
    This is maybe the most insightful, accurate thread I have read in the short time I have been here.....the only addition I would make to what you have said, is that what works for one does not necessarily work for all...listen to YOUR body, YOUR doctor and YOUR PT.....there are way to many self appointed experts spouting half truths and tendencies as if they were some sort of health gospel.
  • peaceinside
    Options
    Love your "Rant" great reminder to some and keeping perspective for all!
    Peace! :flowerforyou:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Agreed! If what you're doing works for you, keep doing it. Once it stops working (if it stops working), THEN readjust.
  • mrh1227
    Options
    I agree that everybody should take every bit of information with a grain of salt, but not necessarily because something might be misinformation. What people forget is that we are all unique, and that there is no one universal rule for fitness and dieting. Part of the journey is to figure out what personal preferences work for you. There is so much research out there that people will be able find articles and posts that support their argument and ground someone else's argument. But in the end, it all comes down to one thing:

FIND OUT WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. There are so many factors out there that you may not be thinking of that may make a particular method work better or worse for you than someone else. Someone else's personal preference won't always match yours. I'll tell you right now that I am someone who eats every 2-3 hours. This is my personal preference based on my schedule and regular eating patterns (when I was out of shape I found myself eating very often anyway, so its a comfortable habit for me). So when you get new advice, ask for more information about it, make sure the person understands the information themselves, and research how it affects people similar in goals and structure to you. Better yet, go see a doctor and have him give you more specifics and recommendations so you can get the right strategy. Once you have all this information, FIND OUT WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options
    Sidesteal as well as several other people whom are in agreement, are some of my favorite friends as well as being vastly informed individuals. Sidesteal, well done on taking the time to post.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the awesome post, SS. Needs to be seen by more people. I hate to see lost lambs lead even further astray...
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I just ate a pb&j before reading this.
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This would have been helpful this past weekend. Thanks for sharing.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yessssss.

Honestly, people should never believe anything they read on the internet. Unfortunately, most people do. What ever happened to "before starting any weight loss program, speak to your doctor to find out what's healthy for you?"

This forum is absolutely NOT for people to come on here and get medical advice. In fact, I think the whole forum aspect is doing more harm than good. I mean, ok, it's great to get to know people who are losing weight too, but somewhere along the line, there comes a point where someone's going to say something completely false and all the people who don't possess critical thinking skills aren't going to investigate someone's bs claims and then get hurt along the way.
  • Mateo1985
    Options
    Great post!!!
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    This is possibly my most favorite topic here ever

A damn good rant without being too long

Being someone that got told what I was doing was a waste of time has made it even better, coz what i was doing wasn't a waste of time.

So ner!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    I wanted to reply earlier. Wonderful post getting down to the core of what often happens here.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    "As long as muscle and liver glycogen stores are not completely filled, the body is able to store or burn off excess dietary carbohydrates. Of course this process occurs at the expense of limiting fat burning, meaning that any dietary fat which is
    ingested with a high carbohydrate intake is stored as fat."-Lyle Mcdonald (page 22 out of The Ketogenic diet).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html

Specifically in the commentary section:

Lars on March 27th, 2010 4:03 pm

Does this mean it might be optimal for preventing fat storage to never eat fat and carbs in the same meal?

For example,

meal 1:
    fat and protein

meal 2:
    carbs and protein

..?
    lylemcd on March 27th, 2010 7:00 pm

Per meal, no, it doesn't matter. What matters is macro nutrient ratios for the day. I wrote a post about this about an hour ago. You don't think body composition is effected by macro nutrient ratios assuming the same number of calories are consumed?

Macronutrient intake absolutely matters, but the reply you made and the discussion you are quoting is about macronutrient combination per meal, not per day. Per meal is irrelevant.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Let's look at meal frequency, which would fall into the personal preference category. Does meal frequency matter?

It might matter for behavioral reasons and it might matter for performance reasons and if it leads to better gym performance it could minimally effect expenditure. But it DOES NOT effect metabolism

So if I should have 2400 calories per day, I could just eat 16800 calories on Monday mornings and skip eating the other 6 days? Is that how metabolism works? What is the minimum frequency for meals? I don't want to read misinformation, and you're the expert on it, so please clear this up for me.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Love this post,to bad it wont change a thing lol.

It cracks me up with how often people throw around the negitive,and rude around here. I am convinced these people must never leave the house or open a dictonary to have an true idea of what those words mean.