Do You Log Fun Activities?

Options
Just a question...sometimes my wife and I will take our son to the Zoo or aquarium, or we'll go spend a day in Seattle walking around and looking at shops and checking out restaurants...Does anyone log these kinds of things as far as the walking goes? For instance if I go to the zoo and we spend 2 hours walking around looking at animals should I be logging 2 hours of walking?

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • feb06momma
    Options
    I spent about 3 hours at the zoo today, but I know a bit of that was stopping, waiting, etc. so I logged 1.5 hours of walking at a slow pace. I figure everything counts, even the fun stuff! :)
  • itsshadowwithane
    itsshadowwithane Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i do..i just make sure not to over-estimate calorie burns
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Its really up to you, if you think it counts as exercise then go for it. Just bear in mind that if you are not actually burning those calories and you eat them back then you are actually in surplus instead of deficit.

Logging alone does nothing for you. What happens in the real world is what counts.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    IMO, logging that kind of stuff is nitpicking
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Its really up to you, if you think it counts as exercise then go for it. Just bear in mind that if you are not actually burning those calories and you eat them back then you are actually in surplus instead of deficit.

Logging alone does nothing for you. What happens in the real world is what counts.

That whole response was confusing...
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I don't count any of it b/c I figured I always did that and it's in my activity level. Does that make sense? I only count a workout or a special thing (like say a hike with a friend) as exercise
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

she meant that you can try and trick your diary, but you can't trick your body.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    This is one thing that I really like my FitBit for. I don't have to figure out how much time I was walking or how intense it was. The FitBit automatically logs it and adjusts my MFP accordingly. Great for those grocery store trips - how far did I really walk going up and down all those aisles?
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

hahaha.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

I think it means this: If you really think that an activity can actually count as a "workout," then fine. But would you really get done gardening or bowling and be like "Whew. What an awesome workout!!" ?? Be honest with yourself as to what counts as a workout, and what is just living life.
  • lukeout007
    Options

she meant that you can try and trick your diary, but you can't trick your body.

Why would I want to trick my diary? That would be counter productive...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    THey were saying that if you log that stuff- but you didnt really burn as much as you think you did- like if you were actually walking a mile an hour instead of 2- it can bite you back.

My choice is to log that stuff- especially cause Im a pedestrian in NYC and I walk alot out of necessity- but I dont eat more- just in case.

I also log sex as 'gardening' cause it burns the same cals.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options

I agree.
    Personally? Working out IS fun. Going to the zoo with the wife and kids is all part of the joy of having a family. Making the morning coffee is kind of exciting too, but I don't log that either. But that's just me.

Why not workout BEFORE going to the zoo, then use the zoo as a way to recover?
  • lukeout007
    Options

I think it means this: If you really think that an activity can actually count as a "workout," then fine. But would you really get done gardening or bowling and be like "Whew. What an awesome workout!!" ?? Be honest with yourself as to what counts as a workout, and what is just living life.

Well up until I started exercising recently...yes. I spent 90% of my free time sitting on the couch. Walking around the zoo for several hours is (or was...haven't been in awhile) exhausting for me. Same with bowling, intense cleaning, etc.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I only count those things because I'm set to sedatary and only allotted 1200 calories a day but I only eat about a quarter of the calories back that is supposedly burned. Guess it depends on the person situation
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    why not try just enjoying fun activities! If you have to dig that deep for a calorie burn-I don't consider it EXERCISE.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    I also log sex as 'gardening' cause it burns the same cals.

Really? I created an exercise for it but have avoided logging it due to the news feed...
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't log that kind of stuff because they're things I would have done before I started this journey anyway if that makes sense. I only log actual exercise that I know I had not done if it wasn't for the lifestyle change.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I only log my actual workouts.