Do You Log Fun Activities?

Options

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I also log sex as 'gardening' cause it burns the same cals.

that's very very sad. Must really make a partner proud when you strap on that HR monitor for sex instead of just enjoying it! Wow-people never cease to amaze me!

I agree, I don't have sex and think "Man, how long was that? I wonder how many calories I've burned?!?"

ahhh a sensible person-how refreshing!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

that's very very sad. Must really make a partner proud when you strap on that HR monitor for sex instead of just enjoying it! Wow-people never cease to amaze me!

I agree, I don't have sex and think "Man, how long was that? I wonder how many calories I've burned?!?"

Exactly. I want to focus on being in the moment and the glow afterwards...not was that 5 minutes or 25 minutes?

I understand not everyone is at the same level of fitness and certain amounts of movement really do count for them. But for me and my body, I cannot log things like cleaning, walking the dogs (because it is SO stop and go), or shopping. To each their own and I'm not judging anyone's decision to count it.

I do log my dog walking because she is my nightly walking lol
  • lynniesue42
    Options
    I do not log them...I only log things I do above and beyond y normally activity level and things I do with the intent to burn calories. =) But each person is different and you should do what works best for you. =) I hope you had fun at the zoo!
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't log casual wandering around type stuff. I'm going ice skating next weekend though, so I'll be logging 4 hours of that :smile:
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Exactly. I want to focus on being in the moment and the glow afterwards...not was that 5 minutes or 25 minutes?

I understand not everyone is at the same level of fitness and certain amounts of movement really do count for them. But for me and my body, I cannot log things like cleaning, walking the dogs (because it is SO stop and go), or shopping. To each their own and I'm not judging anyone's decision to count it.

I do log my dog walking because she is my nightly walking lol

:flowerforyou:
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

ahhh a sensible person-how refreshing!

:drinker:
  • pigwidgeon82
    pigwidgeon82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i don't understand these people who say don't log it, or that it is being nitpicky.

i have my mfp set up to sedentary, so when i do extensive walking i DO log it. if you have your mfp set on something like active, then maybe it would be best to leave it off. but i have it set on sedentary. so if i go to a theme park for 5 hours, you better bet i'm logging it, because that's a lot more than i would do on an average day.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I do!

I'm set at sedentary, and therefore I log everything I do when I get my bum off the couch, lol.

I also eat back my calories. I must be doing something right, I've lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks :embarassed:

Any cleaning I do gets logged. Taking my kids for a walk to the park? Yup, logged. Today we walked around the Mall of America for 2 1/2 hours, came home, and walked/jogged to the park for 1/2 an hour. I logged 3 hours of walking today (and OMG my knees hurt and my legs are sore!).

Why can't exercise be fun?!?

If I'm primarily a sedentary person, then yes, going to the zoo and walking 5 or 10 or whatever miles is beyond what my body is used to. Now if I'm going EVERYDAY, then my body is used to that. Don't know about you, but I'm not out at the zoo for a few hours everyday... just saying.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I do if it's a long amount of time, but i also have a bodybugg. I would usually log 1/2 my time at a 2.0 mph pace even if I go to the store. I would for sure log walking for multiple hours, you did burn extra calories and need to eat some of those back
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've never understood why people use the logic that they've 'always done something' as a reason not to log. I've always walked my dogs. Unfortunately, I used to overeat to a point that rather overshot the calories I burned walking them. But I burned calories walking them before I started logging, and I still burn calories walking them now.

Whether I account for them by including them in my activity level, or whether I include them as a burn on a roughly daily basis, they need to be accounted for in my TDEE if I'm to get my deficit calculations reasonably right.

I have a friend who gained weight while running marathons. I've never heard anyone suggest she shouldn't log runs....

To the OP - I think the important thing, if you decide to log this, is not to overemphasise it, if you're eating back. The burn here won't have been significantly over resting rates.
  • jmp33
    jmp33 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I log activities with the kids. They are calories I wouldn't burn on a normal day. Same as an earlier post I always knock the time down a little because of stops.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I log fun activities if they're strenuous, like skiing, hiking or snowshoeing.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options
    for some of us here it is simply the difference between deliberate effort vs. Normal daily activity. I did not sugbest the OP not log what HE considers Fun Activity. To each his own

minimal effort=minimal results.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I dont
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

You act as if I stated that this was the ONLY exercise I do all week (or even that day for that matter). I also exercise 6 days per week on top of anything else I consider fun.

Several people seemed to have jumped to the conclusion that I'm asking if going to the zoo once a month can take place of normal diet and exercise. I'm almost sorry I asked...
  • amber47821
    Options
    I count those things for sure. I have a desk job so my activity level is set to sedentary. If I walk at the zoo, mall, outside or wherever even leasurely it is still more calories burned than my normal day. If you do a lot of stopping I account for that and try to get an average of time spent walking. Zoo? Kids? You are for sure burning more calories than you would be sitting at home.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options

You act as if I stated that this was the ONLY exercise I do all week (or even that day for that matter). I also exercise 6 days per week on top of anything else I consider fun.

Several people seemed to have jumped to the conclusion that I'm asking if going to the zoo once a month can take place of normal diet and exercise. I'm almost sorry I asked...

you are reading this through your own filter, not mine. That is evident since you only chose to quote part of my statement.

and if you are sorry you asked-lesson learned. Do what you feel is right for YOU. No one else's opinion should matter. Its YOUR journey.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

you are reading this through your own filter, not mine. That is evident since you only chose to quote part of my statement.

I'm not going to get into an arguement just because I asked for help. That's what this site is for. Stop being so rude and antagonistic to people. Seriously...
  • larat71
    Options
    I log anything that is out of my normal set of activities. So, a trip to the zoo, park, etc would be logged, but not my weekly shopping trip. I know that you do burn calories shopping, but I figure if I do, then that's just a bonus:) Hope this helps!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I don't.