Monthly Food Expenses

Options
JDMPWR
JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
Im wondering how much everyone else is spending monthly with all your food that you buy at the grocery store plus supplements.

I try to trim the fat from my spending when it comes to food but it's not easy when you go to WF's and Trader Joes.

Please share.

I know with protein I am spending about 600 bucks a month on food and thats not including beer, alcohol or dining out(which I RARELY do).

Can you guys please share?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I never did the math. I'm kind of afraid to. But money spent on food is money well spent
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I spend £160 on groceries each month (approx. $250).

I'd say about £120 of this is my usual food and drink, and the other £40 is for treats including better quality meat than we usually have, and occasional unhealthy foods that don't fit into my weekly shop.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I know I spend about $800 a month on groceries for a family of 4 (two kids ages 3 and 7). About $100+ of that is due to me watching other kids during the week. I plan nearly every meal though. That helps a lot. I'd spend a lot more if I didn't plan meals and go with a list. Plus that's not counting any beef, because we buy it from a local farmer 1/4 - 1/2 a cow at a time.

Sorry, that probably doesn't help you much....lol
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Married here with 3 adult children(19 and 18 twins), all males.

We spend about 1200 US dollars a month. That is before we run out of Milk, bread, Etc., mid week.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My family of three has a food budget of $350. I am able to make it by only shopping sales, buying meat in bulk when on sale, and wasting nothing. Leftovers are usually lunches that week. I use my crock pot a lot. Still get fresh fruits and vegetables. I sometimes use coupons, but not religiously. I don't have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods near me. My shopping consists mainly of Marsh (local to Indiana) and Kroger.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    As a vegan my meat bill is nothing :wink: For me alone, including protein powder, now that I'm trying to eat at maintenence+ I spend about $150 a month. Total we spend about $400 per month (including eating out once a week)

dried legumes, tofu and tempeh on sale is cheap. we do splurge on 'sausage' and some fake meat.

All of us are "in training"
    daughter is vegan, too - 12 years old, but 5'5"/130 so she eats A LOT
    husband is omni so we do buy some lunch meat and cheese but he eats vegan dinner with us 90% of the time

What also helps us is buying very little alcohol. Husband is sober and I'm a light weight :wink:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Just for myself, $800-900/month
    But that includes groceries, supplements and eating out. Nearly $600 a month on eating out. I'm single and don't have much time to cook :-(
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i probably spend about $300 a month which seems like a lot since I live alone. I think about this every time i go grocery shopping because i do eat a lot of food throughout the week. i also only shop at TJ and WF.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    about £250 a month for the two of us.

im a food snob, supermarket tart.

for the UK people, i do waitrose once a month for a stock up on unusual stuff and faves, then top up with organic veggie boxes delivered, sainsburys, asda and tesco.

i always have a full chest freezer :)
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I think it averages out to about $50/week for food and supplements. Eating out would maybe be about $25/week. Trying to cut that down for financial and health reasons.
  • mrsbastone
    mrsbastone Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    600-800 (not including if we eat out, which is rare) a month for a family of 4
  • parsnips1980
    Options
    i spend about 40-50$ a week for myself. ive found that avoiding meat seems to help, and replacing it with cheaper (and healthier!) alternatives like eggs, tofu, and canned beans. a lot of times people say produce is the culprit, but if you've got a walmart with a grocery store nearby you can get a lot for not much money. last week i was amazed when i bought one avocado, a bag of onions, one yellow pepper, a bag of little carrots, a bag of spinach, broccoli, 3 apples, 3 oranges, mushrooms, 2 tomatoes, and a can of kidney beans for 12.50$!! i was blown away.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I never did the math. I'm kind of afraid to. But money spent on food is money well spent

I started to do the math a few weeks ago. Once I broke 250 for the week, I figured it was safer to stop than to freak myself out.
    I buy quality, tasty, foods. I'm going to enjoy them instead of letting the money factor bother me.

If I factor in supplements, I'm much higher than that.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    um....like $20-30/month rsrsrs. Some months I go over and buy big things in bulk, like oatmeal, rice, beans, and things like that that I can eat over the course of a few months, so most of my grocery shopping is just buying produce and such.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have the exact dollars and cents in a spreadsheet at home, but my guesstimate would be between $500-600/month for a family of three.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    £300 a month for my partner and I - and that's with trying to keep it to a minimum! We get a lot of fresh meat though, which probably makes up a lot

I don't include protein supplements in with that, that's always separate. £40 a month for protein for both of us.
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Family of 31/2...

We spend on groceries around $400

Dining out is a entirely separate expense that probably is double our grocery bill..
  • CTK3989
    CTK3989 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a family of 4 and I spend $400 a month on groceries.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    about £250 a month for the two of us.

im a food snob, supermarket tart.

for the UK people, i do waitrose once a month for a stock up on unusual stuff and faves, then top up with organic veggie boxes delivered, sainsburys, asda and tesco.

i always have a full chest freezer :)

Oooooh, organic veggie boxes. :tongue:

I thought I was a food snob, but I've never had the money for those. In comparison to my fiance, I spend loads. I think he spends about £50 a month, and with my £160 I feel a bit greedy. :ohwell:

I'm not a 'full freezer' type, though. I buy EXACTLY what I need, so each week my freezer, fridge and cupboard are bare.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I am still totally lost how some of you have a family and can eat on what I eat alone in a month. I am with Josh and Taso when I say it's about the quality of food.

I am going to become the Food Diary Creeper now....