Monthly Food Expenses

Options

Replies

• HendersonDavid
    Options
    Around $120 per month. Feeding two Students: 1F & 1M. we only buy whey & fish oil as our supplements, We pretty much have it made cause we price match everything we buy. If something isn't on sale or cheaper for that week we just don't purchase it. This helps to provide variety and change up our foods. Sometimes we stock up on things likes blueberries and blackberries and spinach, and almost every time we price-match for chicken breasts or turkey. KD isn't an option for us.
  • BecksFit88
    Options
    Roughly $300/month in the winter, $150 in the summer (huge garden and CSA share). 2 adults, not a ton of meat
  • neo200120018
    neo200120018 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    $400 a month nz dollars (so about $200 month in US) but I do do alot of baking for work and am picky and incldes toiletries etc also a stock up person as buy fortnightly
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I spend about $100 a week on myself on just food... thats with things such a chicken etc being on sale.
    plus the cost of protein etc

Its expensive to eat healthy!!
  • figurekat
    figurekat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I spend between 400 and 500 a month for a family of six including my specialized diet. My husband and children also eat very clean. We just plan ahead well.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    We were spending about $170 a month for low quality meats and canned veggies and the like for 3 (5 on the weekends) people. Our food budget has increased to $300 this month so I am enjoying the extra cash for better foods!
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I am still totally lost how some of you have a family and can eat on what I eat alone in a month. I am with Josh and Taso when I say it's about the quality of food.

I am going to become the Food Diary Creeper now....

I'm already the food diary creeper and I don't get it. I need to learn to be thrifty I guess.
  • amoeba15
    amoeba15 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My food expenses (not counting toiletries or sales tax on food but including eating out) range from $100 - $200 a month for my daughter and myself. It's been less since I went vegan and stopped eating out. I've only spent $50 so far this month.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I spend $80 to $100 a month on groceries, depending on what coupons I can get.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Im wondering how much everyone else is spending monthly with all your food that you buy at the grocery store plus supplements.

I try to trim the fat from my spending when it comes to food but it's not easy when you go to WF's and Trader Joes.

Please share.

I know with protein I am spending about 600 bucks a month on food and thats not including beer, alcohol or dining out(which I RARELY do).

Can you guys please share?
    About $400-$450 a month for a family of 3.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    £200 a month for four of us, but if we buy treats or beer or anything we limit that by £50 so max £250.
  • ajburroughs
    ajburroughs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow, interesting to see how much people spend. We spend right around $700 a month for our family of 6--4 girls aged 2-11 but they are all very big eaters. And that includes probably a gallon or so of soy milk a week for the baby and 3-4 gallons of milk each week for the others, plus toiletries, cleaning stuff, meat every night and diapers. We usually get our produce from a produce stand-type place but that's included in that. Doesn't include our eating out though, which is around 300 a month. I guess we aren't doing as bad as I thought, lol
  • jkdarby
    jkdarby Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I spend about $150 a month for just myself. We don't have any health food or whole food stores around where I live as it is a very rural area. My grocery store choices here in town are Walmart and Save-a-Lot. The good thing is I have a very big back yard and garden most of my vegetables/fruits in the spring/summer, so that helps with the grocery bill. I love growing my own tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, broccoli, and watermelon.
  • Kymwho
    Kymwho Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I spend about $400-500 per month for a family of 4. Kids still living at home are ages 21 son and 16yr old daughter.. and they can eat! It would be around $800 if not for my coupons and comp ad, lol! I'm addicted and refuse to go grocery shopping with my list, ads and coupons in hand. On average grocery shopping trip I save anywhere from $30-60 on coupons and about $50-70 on competitors ads.
  • inr0myr
    inr0myr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    6000inr (120usd) per month for food and household stuffs (detergent, toilet papers etc). It's just my husband and I. We buy raw, organic vegetables and fresh seafoods on weekly basis. We seldom buy beef/red meat. Thank God everything is cheaper at this part of the world (India). I cook everyday for dinner and lunch will be sandwich using leftover chicken/prawn from previous dinner which I packed in lunchbox. Since I am trying to get rid of 35lbs, junk food is no longer on the shopping list. Double yeay!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Im wondering how much everyone else is spending monthly with all your food that you buy at the grocery store plus supplements.

I try to trim the fat from my spending when it comes to food but it's not easy when you go to WF's and Trader Joes.

Please share.

I know with protein I am spending about 600 bucks a month on food and thats not including beer, alcohol or dining out(which I RARELY do).

Can you guys please share?

I do about 95% of my shopping at Trader Joe's and I spend $475 on food for a family of 5 (2 adults, two young kids and a baby).
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Family of four. We usually spend $500-$600 a month. Some months less, some more, depends on the sales.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Family of 5 - we spend at least $800 a month. Probably more, we have never added it up. My son has food allergies, and just buying him a box of granola bars is $7.00. It adds up.
  • psychopiglet
    psychopiglet Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    For my sister and myself I spend around £300-£400 ($470 - $626) a month on groceries.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My family of three has a food budget of $350. I am able to make it by only shopping sales, buying meat in bulk when on sale, and wasting nothing. Leftovers are usually lunches that week. I use my crock pot a lot. Still get fresh fruits and vegetables. I sometimes use coupons, but not religiously. I don't have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods near me. My shopping consists mainly of Marsh (local to Indiana) and Kroger.

This is my strategy, too! I get meat and bulk items (cereal, canned tomatoes to make pasta sauce, frozen veggies, paper/cleaning products) at Costco and fresh veggies and my favorite protein powder at HyVee. There are a few specialty things I get from Trader Joe's, but mostly my savings comes from meal planning, bulk buying and having leftovers for lunch. My husband and I spend about $250 every month, which includes all grocery store items (food and non-food) and homebrew supplies :)