exercising so I can eat

Options
Okay, I have been using MFP for over 2 weeks and what I have found is that I have to do about 45 minutes of cardio a day so that I keep under my calorie goal. I have lost about 2.5 pounds so far so it seems okay. Just wanting to check out there to see if there is anyone else like me out there.

My concern is that as I am not going to keep losing if I eat my additional calories.

Replies

• HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You should eat those calories yes, the deficit is built in without exercise. When you exercise you burn more calories than you would have otherwise, so eating them back will give you the exact same deficit.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Oh hell, I do that all the time. It's amazing how motivating "I can have a grilled cheese sandwich which I REALLY WANT if I burn 500 more calories" is.

As long as you're telling the truth about how many calories you're burning (guess low if there's any possibility of error), you'll have the same deficit.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I do this ALL THE TIME!! :)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have been using MFP for over 2 weeks and what I have found is that I have to do about 45 minutes of cardio a day so that I keep under my calorie goal. I have lost about 2.5 pounds so far so it seems okay. Just wanting to check out there to see if there is anyone else like me out there.

My concern is that as I am not going to keep losing if I eat my additional calories.

The whole point of MFP is to do exactly what you're doing. Well done! :flowerforyou:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Oh hell, I do that all the time. It's amazing how motivating "I can have a grilled cheese sandwich which I REALLY WANT if I burn 500 more calories" is.

As long as you're telling the truth about how many calories you're burning (guess low if there's any possibility of error), you'll have the same deficit.

Exactly. I love watching those numbers rack up and I think of all the deliciousness I can have because of it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I need a T-shirt that says "I do cardio for ice cream".
  • Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Meeeee too! :laugh: I thought that was why you work out????
  • melonyw
    Options
    If I know I am eating out or meeting friends for drinks I increase my cardio and use the extra calories so that I don't feel guilty.
  • bjmer121995
    Options
    My third week in I didn't lose my lb so the next week I did not eat back my exercise calories and ended up losing 2 lbs that week! The key is just to eat less than you are buring off to keep the scale going down, :smile:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the only reason I work out is so I can eat :laugh:
  • aksunshine
    aksunshine Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yep! Do this Every single day! In fact, must go get on my bike to burn off the grilled cheese I just ate :)
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yup I make it a rule to not eat it until I've earned it. Most of my exercise calories go to sweet stuff so not ideal but I have a sweet tooth and this is working for me . I am set to lose 1/2lb per week and only allowed 1250cals without exercise so I would feel deprived without the ability to eat more by exercising.
  • cgordon86
    Options
    I Love it!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, like today for example. I was working at home all day even though I had the day off (federal holiday), but decided I wanted to have something good for dinner - so I jumped on the treadmill for a half hour. Yup, I pretty much need to work out every day if I want to not feel deprived in the food department :)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I Love it!

Haha, that's great. If I know that I have a big dinner or going out, I definitely amp up the cardio to earn some extra calories :)
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options

Definately a big motivator for me to workout is the fact I can eat more food. Most of my exercise calories are spent on treats or higher calorie healthy foods. Helps keep this a sane lifestyle for me and not merely a "diet". Keep doing what you are doing. :smile:
  • ldalal
    ldalal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do cardio for caramel crunch cake... my fave!!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Yes. Especially if I want to get drunk I'll walk to school and home (which i do every day), go to the gym to use the elliptical, come home and do a video, then take my dog for a jog............. then smash out a fifth of Jose.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I have one that says "Will run for chocolate." :laugh:
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just rode my stationary bike for 30 mins and added some strength training so I could have pizza! Yay and I'm off to pick it up!