exercising so I can eat

Options

Replies

• silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is just a basic math problem...., do the math.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've used food to motivate myself to exercise before. "I want Chipotle!" Husbands response: "Did you exercise?" He knows I'll workout for Chipotle. Mmmmmmmmmm, chipotle.

I would kick my hubby's *kitten* if he said that to me lol!

But, yes I workout harder/longer if I know I'm wanting to pig out a little.
  • DeeAnna45
    Options
    Hi I had to also up my cardio so I could start losing some weight. I don't want to get into the habit of exercising so I can eat a little bit more or cheat on my die, which I was doing so I could still have my treats. You should be able to keep losing weight with your amount of calories. If you find you are not mix up
    your workout your body will adapt to the same workout and you will stop losing weight. Keep up the good work !!!!
  • my2boiz
    Options
    I'm so glad everyone else does the same thing I do!! Good to hear!
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how people eat 1200 calories a day and some still find it hard to meet that. I wish I was one of them!

It is baffling until you do actually eat 1200 calories a day...your body just get's accustomed to it. I was doing that for a bit, some days I just wasn't hungry enough to make 1200, but when I upped my calories from that I found that my hunger level adjusted, and 1200 did not cut it anymore. Call that the starvation mode at work if you want, but I don't really know why it is

Most new to MFP dont realize that setting the program up to lose 2lbs a week is folly.
    This sets 99% of the people on here below BMR and yes you do lose weight.
    2lbs a week could translate into 1lb fat and 1lb lean mass.

My advice is do the research.

Learn what BMR TDEE and your Body Fat is.

If you dont then we will see you when you post the
    "I'm on 1200 calories and lost 10lbs but nothings happening!"
    Or "How do I not be Skinny-Fat?"
    Or "Why am I now having heart issues?"

I have people on high calorie diets 5'2" and up who only work out 3 times a week losing inches of fat and no lean mass loss.
    Most of them eat 1600 to 2000 calorie diets.
    Ages from 18-65.
    Body Fat % from 15-55%

As a challenge to all of you, I would love for you to take pics of the information labels in your local supermarket that say "Averages based on a 1200 calorie diet" and post them on this thread.

Sustainable weight loss is made first in the kitchen then while you sleep.
    Everything else is secondary!

That's really interesting. I eat a lot more than most of my MFP Pals and I've had really awesome success. If I only eat 1200 cals, then that's a weird day for me. Usually I eat between 1600-1900 and I am completely transforming my body like this. I always wondered about the "based on a 2,000 cal diet" thing, too.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I need a T-shirt that says "I do cardio for ice cream".

Yes, this is me! I have to have my evening sweet. Sweets are a great motivator to exercise.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You're doing it just right! Stick with it!!
  • aweightymatter
    Options

YUP! When I ran a half-marathon last month there were some spectators holding a sign that said, "Keep running if you love dessert." Sounds about right! I love exercising, so I don't see it as "punishment" for eating or a necessary evil or anything, but I definitely love getting to eat more because of it. When I read about people who "can't possibly eat back their exercise calories" I'm like :embarassed:
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Whew!! So I am not crazy.

Yes, I admit it, I do the same thing!!
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating my exercise calories. I've lost 6 pounds in a month, and I don't eat my extra calories. I'm afraid that I'll be off, no matter how accurate I am on the counting/calculating. I've only allowed one cheat day this month. A BIG part of my problem that I had was eating NUTS and using too much EVOO in cooking. Cutting those things out really decreases my calorie intake. I should probably be eating more, but I feel satisfied. If I am truly hungry at night, I will grab a treat (or two) but I'm still under my intake 95% of the time. Maybe I shouldn't be doing this???

I always eat my calories back and I make sure I eat all my calories every day unless there's a meal out or something I know I'll need some cushion for. I exercise to eat, sorry that's how it is with me. Working out is still very inconvenient. I have three kids under 4 and they make it very difficult. Hopefully my attitude will change. Anyway, I've managed to lose 19 lbs in 50 days. Just make sure you're logging everything and use a scale.
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    This is the main reason i started to exercise!over a year in and now exerecise is an everyday habit! and not just for the cals but for the strength,tone and endurance benefits too.
  • npeters519
    npeters519 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    <
    Will do cardio for CHOCOLATE!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I also want to get in shape but feel better, but that chocolate is more motivating. I also sometimes go over a tad to force myself to workout!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

That's really interesting. I eat a lot more than most of my MFP Pals and I've had really awesome success. If I only eat 1200 cals, then that's a weird day for me. Usually I eat between 1600-1900 and I am completely transforming my body like this. I always wondered about the "based on a 2,000 cal diet" thing, too.

You wouldnt drive a car 80 mils per hour with little to no oil and gas right?
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Oh yes, this is so me.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating my exercise calories. I've lost 6 pounds in a month, and I don't eat my extra calories. I'm afraid that I'll be off, no matter how accurate I am on the counting/calculating. I've only allowed one cheat day this month. A BIG part of my problem that I had was eating NUTS and using too much EVOO in cooking. Cutting those things out really decreases my calorie intake. I should probably be eating more, but I feel satisfied. If I am truly hungry at night, I will grab a treat (or two) but I'm still under my intake 95% of the time. Maybe I shouldn't be doing this???

What's wrong with nuts?
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Lol... one of my MFP friends has a profile pic that says "Do not reward yourself with food, you are not a dog." I want to be like oh heck no!!! I work out so I can pig out on many occasions. Life would be boring without exciting food, and while I love to cook healthy options and eat well, sometimes a few slices of pizza is just what you need! I've lost 30 lbs and am still losing - I always eat my exercise calories back and I find it difficult staying under calories when I don't exercise, so sometimes I don't... meh it's life!
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Mine will read "I do cardio for wine" :drinker:
  • stephzub
    stephzub Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Haha, that's great. If I know that I have a big dinner or going out, I definitely amp up the cardio to earn some extra calories :)
    [/quote]

Way to be proactive! I am with ya!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    This is the main reason i started to exercise!over a year in and now exercise is an everyday habit! and not just for the cals but for the strength,tone and endurance benefits too.
    This^
    I started exercising so I could eat more, but now my day is missing something without it. I started with treadmill, went to elliptical and now do Jazzercise, weight training and Tai Chi regularly. I keep adding more variety to my fitness activities. When I retire, I hope to add yoga to the mix. Then, who knows?