exercising so I can eat

Options

Replies

• daterminedfatburnerX
    Options
    i usually exercise so i can reward myself with dinner...no exercise no dinner... dinner motivates me <drool>
  • chloe42
    chloe42 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just was explaining this to a friend earlier today. If you do a little more then you can have a little more than you normally would. Without this I would have a heck of a time meeting my goals. I cant wait until the weather breaks and cycling season starts. There were days I couldn't make the difference up.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    With out exercise I get 1200 calories a day...no way I can do that, so I exercise to eat. Other than a plateau around christmas, I've been averaging a lose of about 2 lbs a week.
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I need a T-shirt that says "I do cardio for ice cream".

Meeeee too! :laugh: I thought that was why you work out????

YES!!!!
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    I exercise so that I earn a minimum of 1000 calories a day so I can EAT. I enjoy food and bigger portion sizes. I have no idea how people eat 1200 calories a day and some still find it hard to meet that. I wish I was one of them!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Meeeee too! :laugh: I thought that was why you work out????

YES!!!!
    Absolutely - my (naturally slim) sister would always comment that if I didn't eat so much I wouldn't need to workout so hard. Noooo, I workout so I CAN eat this stuff!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    What happens if you get stuck in traffic or something happens to the kids and you dont get a workout in?
    Then you are under BMR for the day?

You could just eat 20% below TDEE and lose fat.
    Maybe create a deficit by running instead of running to eat.

Oh the flaws of MFP...
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat most of my calories back; at max I leave 170 if there's no way I can shove anything else down or if I'm too tired to care. For reference, I started on January 9th of this year and have lost 12 lbs with intermittent exercise to start (i.e. lazy but getting better). And I definitely find myself squeezing in longer workouts so I can have my fruit punch or last piece of Laughing Cow cheese before bed. :P
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I purposely plan to go over in calories so I am forced to work out.... I always have it in the red 50 or so calories so I have to do something to make up for it!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how people eat 1200 calories a day and some still find it hard to meet that. I wish I was one of them!

It is baffling until you do actually eat 1200 calories a day...your body just get's accustomed to it. I was doing that for a bit, some days I just wasn't hungry enough to make 1200, but when I upped my calories from that I found that my hunger level adjusted, and 1200 did not cut it anymore. Call that the starvation mode at work if you want, but I don't really know why it is
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options

Seriously! ! Haha
  • neesey918
    Options
    Keep up the good job - you are paying attention to your calorie intake so you are able to maintain. If you weren't tracking it this way it would way to easy to go over all the time!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat so I can exercise better, but mostly I exercise so I can eat better. :drinker:
  • mom2coy
    Options
    I have a hard time eating my exercise calories. I've lost 6 pounds in a month, and I don't eat my extra calories. I'm afraid that I'll be off, no matter how accurate I am on the counting/calculating. I've only allowed one cheat day this month. A BIG part of my problem that I had was eating NUTS and using too much EVOO in cooking. Cutting those things out really decreases my calorie intake. I should probably be eating more, but I feel satisfied. If I am truly hungry at night, I will grab a treat (or two) but I'm still under my intake 95% of the time. Maybe I shouldn't be doing this???
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've used food to motivate myself to exercise before. "I want Chipotle!" Husbands response: "Did you exercise?" He knows I'll workout for Chipotle. Mmmmmmmmmm, chipotle.
  • chrisc16
    Options
    The calorie limits on MFP are from equations - they are not correct for everyone. In fact, if you do the calculations with the Mifflin st jeor equations, you'll see a difference from what MFP gives you. Seems they add in a bit of over-eat so if that you eat slightly over, you will theoretically still lose.

The Mifflin-St Jeor equations are:
    Male: BMR = 10×weight + 6.25×height - 5×age + 5
    Female: BMR = 10×weight + 6.25×height - 5×age - 161

These equations require the weight in kilograms, the height in centimeters, and the age in years. To determine your total daily calorie needs, the BMR has to be multiplied by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

* 1.200 = sedentary (little or no exercise)
    * 1.375 = lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week, approx. 590 Cal/day)
    * 1.550 = moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week, approx. 870 Cal/day)
    * 1.725 = very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week, approx. 1150 Cal/day)
    * 1.900 = extra active (very hard exercise/sports and physical job, approx. 1580 Cal/day)

Just Google for more info.
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I do cardio for hot wings!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how people eat 1200 calories a day and some still find it hard to meet that. I wish I was one of them!

It is baffling until you do actually eat 1200 calories a day...your body just get's accustomed to it. I was doing that for a bit, some days I just wasn't hungry enough to make 1200, but when I upped my calories from that I found that my hunger level adjusted, and 1200 did not cut it anymore. Call that the starvation mode at work if you want, but I don't really know why it is

Most new to MFP dont realize that setting the program up to lose 2lbs a week is folly.
    This sets 99% of the people on here below BMR and yes you do lose weight.
    2lbs a week could translate into 1lb fat and 1lb lean mass.

My advice is do the research.

Learn what BMR TDEE and your Body Fat is.

If you dont then we will see you when you post the
    "I'm on 1200 calories and lost 10lbs but nothings happening!"
    Or "How do I not be Skinny-Fat?"
    Or "Why am I now having heart issues?"

I have people on high calorie diets 5'2" and up who only work out 3 times a week losing inches of fat and no lean mass loss.
    Most of them eat 1600 to 2000 calorie diets.
    Ages from 18-65.
    Body Fat % from 15-55%

As a challenge to all of you, I would love for you to take pics of the information labels in your local supermarket that say "Averages based on a 1200 calorie diet" and post them on this thread.

Sustainable weight loss is made first in the kitchen then while you sleep.
    Everything else is secondary!
  • darlew12
    Options
    Yes, Yes, Yes Work to Eat :smile:
  • Sminett
    Options
    I exercise for chocolate and ice cream.
    17233086.png