Is taking my own pancake mix too far?

Options

Replies

• JustLena75
    Options
    Yes, it's too far. Get a grip. One pancake and a sliver of pizza are not going to wreck your journey. I've worked long and hard to have a good relationship with food. There are going to be times you are going to be faced with not having 'your' food at your disposa. You cannot live in a bubble. Enjoy the party! If you are that stressed about it, maybe you should rethink even going.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    OMG you are 19..19......pancakes are about 100 cals each....a pretty young lass of 19 can dance a 100 calories off in no time...and at 19 I could think of other ways to burn a few 100 calories off too...go to your party & enjoy it...OMG I so wish i was 19 again..i would not waste one opportunity to enjoy myself.....

For some reason i really like this :smile:
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am clearly in the minority here but I truly hope you take your own pancake mix...or get new friends if they are going to find you rude for caring about what you eat! Ok, I am kidding about ditching your friends but SERIOUSLY, there is nothing rude about eating what is best for you. Honestly, any host that would make you feel bad about it is a rude host.
  • Just exercise and save enough calories so that you can enjoy some pizza & pancakes. Honestly, I wouldn't bring my own food.
  • nahralynn
    nahralynn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm on the rude side. You shouldn't expect the world to stop because you are on a diet. However, as a lifestyle you can make better choices for YOURSELF. If pizza and pancakes aren't something you want to eat at all then either don't go to the party since that is the theme, or go and have fun but eat something before hand that fits into your diet. If you don't have any serious issues with those types of food and you are just watching the calories do what others have said and eat healthily through your day and exercise and plan around that meal. Have a small piece of pizza and one or two of the smallest pancakes you can find. It is not the responsibility, friend or not, to cater to one person in the group. They are holding the party, offering the food, offering their home, and they don't need the added stress of worrying about whether the guests need vegan, low cal, gluten free, dairy free, or whatever free. It's the guests responsibility to figure out their own nutritional needs and respond accordingly. I think it's acceptable to go for the party/friends and not the food.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    , but i don't want to let food get in the way of me having a good time

I know it is tough sometimes on the weight loss journey but you are already letting food get in the way of you having a good time by feeling the need to take your own pancake mix to a party, eat in moderation and allow yourself to enjoy the food and the company.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy yourself. Assuming you don't do this all the time, it's really not even worth considering to indulge the rare times you have these things come up. If you want your friends to REALLY think you're a diet freak, bring the mix and be THAT person.
  • pf3100
    Options
    I say happiness is the most important thing in life.So LIVE W/ your food or theres. whatever makes you
    comfortable //most people don't care anyway.......
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Premake your pancakes & put them in a baggy. Then sneak them on your plate while everyone else is getting some. ;) JK...

Honestly, I dont see anything wrong with that!! Premake your batter and if yall are cooking them up @ the shing dig, then throw yours on the griddle and offer them to anyone else. Call the hostess and ask if she cares. This is no different than a recovering alcoholic requesting non-alcoholic drinks as an option, or a vegetarian asking for no meat options.

No, it's not. Parties routinely have non-alcohol selections, and being an alcoholic is not like being overweight. The OP admits she's so little overweight people tell her she doesn't need to lose. It is rude to bring your own food. You either eat what's being served or you politely say "No thanks." You don't bring your own food.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If you want your friends to REALLY think you're a diet freak, bring the mix and be THAT person.

While our posts were very different, I feel that I should have added this ^

He's absolutely right, I bring food everywhere and I am "that" person. Anyway, good luck to you!
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would take it but I would make sure I bring enough for anyone who wants some. That way it becomes more of a sharing item rather than you having something different than everyone else.

PS - way to go caddymatt! on the threshold of a 3 digit weight loss.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Offer to bring a dish and bring a large, healthy, beautiful salad to share. I have never had anyone refuse that offer! Then have a moderate amount of which ever food you prefer and then fill up on your salad if you are still hungry. That is what I would do.
  • bigloser85_2012
    bigloser85_2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't have to cut items from your diet HOWEVER...if you feel like at this moment in your journey to a healthier you that you just can't have pizza/regular pancakes then don't. Add those things back later IF you want to add them back. You have to do what you need to do to make sure you stay on the right path. And I think that includes handling the evening however makes you feel the best about what you've eaten by the time you go home. You're the one that has to live with the guilt if you think you made bad decision so don't let any of us on here dictate what you do tonight. It's ALL ABOUT YOU and that's ok! Take what you want, eat what they have and exercise the extra calories off for the day, compensate tomorrow...you have many options but pick the option that works for you.

If this is a true friend they will completely understand and support you on your decision. I can't think of a single one of my friends that would think I was being rude or ungracious by bringing something that I felt I needed to stay on track and reach my goal. I would however do what someone else suggested and make a little extra...you never know...maybe you can motivate or inspire someone else who is having issues with health and/or weight. I make/take lots of special things for ME when I go to parties. My favorite thing to take to parties are diet soda cake/cupcakes. (Use one box of cake mix and 12 ounces of diet soda and bake as directed on the box! YUMMY!! My favorite is chocolate cake mix with Diet Coke but I've heard vanilla cake mix with Diet Cherry Sprite/7Up or Diet Orange soda is fabulous as well.) Anyway...got off track talking about sweets (imagine that)...do what makes you feel best and keeps you on track. Any friend should understand that and if they think you're being rude on ungracious maybe you should think twice about exactly what kind of friend they are to you.

Good luck with your decision. You should not feel guilty about whatever decision it is though.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Listen... If I were hosting a party and I had a friend coming over that I knew was trying to lose weight and she brought her own mix, I would say :"awesome and can I try some" Call her before and make sure its ok, tho. Good luck!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If I were hosting a party, I would have to say I would be offended if someone brought there own version of what I was preparing. I certainly wouldn't mind if someone wanted to bring, say, a veggie tray to share with the whole party. That would be different, it would be a nice gesture even if it is partly for your own benefit. But taking your own pancake mix is kind of like saying, "yours isn't good enough. I want you to cook mine." I definitely wouldn't do it, and I would not appreciate my own guests doing it either. I think you should just have a pancake or two (that is NOT going to sabotage all your work, you just might not lose that day). If you don't want her pancakes, then maybe do the veggie tray option (or something similar), but offer it as a gift for everyone to enjoy--and leave any leftovers for the hostess unless she doesn't want them.

Edit: after reading some other posts about people saying you should take it, you should also remember that if you take your own mix, SOMEONE has to cook it. And they would have to cook it separately from the regular pancakes, which means the hostess will be spending more time over the stove, and less time at her own party. I think she will certainly understand your desire to lose weight, but I also think it is important to think of her to--it is her party afterall.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Listen... If I were hosting a party and I had a friend coming over that I knew was trying to lose weight and she brought her own mix, I would say :"awesome and can I try some" Call her before and make sure its ok, tho. Good luck!

^supportive friend alert

When you find one these you have to keep them forever!!!
  • ShellBelle6
    ShellBelle6 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fun party! Pizza & Pancakes!? YUM!!! I wanna come too!!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Too farr... the point of pancake day is to use up all the consumables in the house pre-fasting for lent. So one day will not harm you, enjoy it, get it out of your system, don;t annoy your host or make anyone or yourself feel uncomfortable, eat fewer and better toppings if you're still concerned and work hard during lent.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat anything you want in moderation? And yes, taking your own mix would be a little strange........
  • dizsolvedgirl
    dizsolvedgirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Why not bring a "hostess" gift instead. A nice bowl of fresh strawberries and blueberries and some other fruit for people to sprinkle on their pancakes.

This way you are not being insulting to the hostess by bringing your own food and if you're still nibbly the berries are fairly low in calories.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: