Is taking my own pancake mix too far?

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    I go out plenty and don't eat at all.

98% of my social outings involve everyone drinking, yet I've only drank twice in about 3 months.

Sometimes being sexier takes priority to vices.
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    As a person that has to take her own food everywhere due to allergies. I suggest you do what you feel comfortable with. I would love to just go and be a part of the crowd and eat what everyone else is but I can't. If you really feel this strong about it then make up some pancakes and eat them there. I would not take my own batter I would do the pre-made pancakes. Alot of my friends will actually ask me to make up my own foods with my ingredients so they do not have to stress over what I can and cannot have. Talk to the party host, explain what you want to do and why. If they are truly your friend and care about you they will not have a problem. Those that have had a problem with my issues just never invite me back. Honestly I prefer that, if they cannot care about my health then they are not healthy for me. :wink:
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    If I were the hostess, I'd actually have you tell me the ingredients and I would make them for everyone but that is just me. I always serve healthy options at my parties, but my family is pretty split with healthy options. My brother and his wife and mother are both very health-concious so understand and there is always healthy options at family dinners. My two sisters on the other hand both struggle with healthy eating, and the youngest is the worst.

This weekend, the youngest had my neice's birthday party this past weekend, and while I didn't expect her to have a low-cal or sugar-free ice cream available, I thought she would at least understand why I passed on the 230 calorie cupcake and had a half portion of the 130 calorie per 1/2 cup ice cream. I figured a half a serving of ice cream meant I was still celebrating while meeting my macros. She threw a bloody fit!! Even went so far as to put a cupcake on my plate insisting I eat it. I politely declined, and she got even more defensive to the point that she put four cupcakes on a plate to send home for my daughter and I. When I told her we don't want them, she got even more huffy. It was very akward, and I felt that she could have at least been supportive. I think that it is her own emotional eating issues at play as she went from a size 8 in high school to now weighing in excess of 350 lbs. Watching me get thinner has really triggered some issues for her.

Anyhoo...sorry to hijack the thread. My point is some people will be supportive, some won't. Find out which way your friend is and try to work around the macros. Maybe offer to bring a huge delicious salad that you can fill up on then have one pancake or peice of pizza? If you are trying to avoid bread products, just eat the toppings...that's what I do.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 729 Member
    Listen... If I were hosting a party and I had a friend coming over that I knew was trying to lose weight and she brought her own mix, I would say :"awesome and can I try some" Call her before and make sure its ok, tho. Good luck!

This is my attitude as well. When I host dinner parties, I always ask people if they have any allergies, etc. I would feel bad as a host not having something that everyone could enjoy. If my friend called and told me they had a pancake mix they wanted to bring, I would be like "okay, just let me know how it needs to be prepared". It wouldn't take that much longer as the hostess to prepare a pre-made mix.

This is just me, however. I think it wise to call your friend and have a chat about it. That way your not just springing it on her when you arrive.

Good luck!
  • zebraspots2069
    zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
    ENJOY the pancakes...dont use syrup!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    If it's that much of an issue, maybe you shouldn't go! I know that sounds rude, but your obsessing over this is equally rude. Get over it, and have some fun!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 811 Member
    Agreed!!
    I find it sad when I read the words "hopefully I don't eat any pizza." :sad:

I can't fathom restricting any food from my life, it's just sad.
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    I think our task is to find a relationship with food that is healthy and can be maintained the majority of the time for life. Unless you are going to tote around your own pancake batter for life, I think this is one of those opportunities presented to us where we can show ourselves that we can enjoy anything in moderation and its not the end of the world. We didn't get fat from special occasions. I know I personally made every day a special occasion and that was the problem. If you had some sort of true food allergy. I'd say do it but otherwise go and enjoy.
  • I find it sad when I read the words "hopefully I don't eat any pizza." :sad:

I can't fathom restricting any food from my life, it's just sad.

Agreed.
    It's like, just eat healthier the rest of the day/week and workout harder to burn off more calories before going to the party; then go ahead and eat the pizza and pancakes. Otherwise you're going to have this problem all the time. Either you'll quit going to parties or you'll be the weird girl who obsesses about bringing her own food every time.
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    I would eat their pancakes but bring my own syrup. The syrup is where the majority of the calories come from. I found syrup that is sugar free and only 5 calories for a 1/4 cup. You need to live a little!!!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 567 Member
    Sorry..just eat the damn pancakes!!
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    I would say call the hostess and tell her that you are really trying to watch what you eat and ask her if she would mind if you brought your own mix and tell her you could bring extra in case other people wanted a lower calorie option. Who knows she may think that is a fabulous idea...
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    I see no problem with bringing your own food to a party, as long as you bring enough to share it with others.
    When I saw a person bring her own diet food to a party and enjoying it alone, it felt weird.
    But I do not see much difference between pancake recipes. If you can eat 3 low calorie pancakes, then perhaps you can eat 2 regular calorie pancakes. This solution can make it easier for everybody. Just don't put any syrop on those pancakes!
  • Just enjoy yourself the last thing you want is your friends thinking your being a funny wotsit and they must be fat or pigs for eating "full fat" so to speak lol. Enjoy yourself, have fun have a blow out - hey hun it's only 1 week out of the rest of your life even if you put on a little at the end of the week is 1 week of fun and enjoying yourself really gonna set you back that badly?

And if you really feel that thing just limit what you eat hun. :happy:
  • missdabby
    missdabby Posts: 46 Member
    I always bring my own stuff to my friends gatherings. They know me and just laugh at me. It's all good though. I'm at my goal and that's how I got there. :)

I agree with you...this is what I do too : )

1610854.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Sorry..just eat the damn pancakes!!

This might just be my new sig!
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Unless you have a food allergy, it's rude to bring your own mix of whatever the hostess is making. I would just eat a pancake or two, but instead of syrup (which is actually where the majority of the calories and sugar come from), I would offer to make a warm fruit topping for the pancakes and share with the rest of the guests.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    I'm changing my answer to, show up in a bikini, and everyone'll be too distracted to care wtf you do.

Then everyone wins.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    ...the last thing you want is your friends thinking your being a funny wotsit and they must be fat or pigs for eating "full fat" so to speak ...

This is exactly correct. Not eating the host's food is saying "it's not good enough." No one said you have to make a pig of yourself.

I am saddened by the number of people who prioritize themselves over others here. Social graces are clearly a lost art. Cutting a couple calories for yourself is waaaaay more important than having good manners.

*face palm*