Real Butter vs. Fake Butter

Options
I have been using "I Can't Believe Its Not Butter! Light" (ICBINBL) for a while now. I just wasn't into the amount of fat and cholesterol in butter. However, my mom heard Dr Oz talking about ICBINB on his show the other day and it wasn't positive. It sparked an interest in me and I started doing some research. When I hit the forums, its always the same (so I assume it will be here here too) but I figured I would toss it out there anyway. I use 1 *TEASPOON* of ICBINB to cook my eggs every morning. The serving size is a tablespoon. So im using 1/3 of that. The problem is, the eggs stick to the pan with ICBINB for whatever reason, so I also spray a bit of Pam in the pan first. Im wondering if I should just go back to using a little butter.

Also, anyone with information on ICBINB being bad, or worse than butter, that would be appreciated.

Replies

• rdmchugh
    Options
    Buy a good oil mister and a good brand of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Spray your pan and cook your eggs. You will end up using about 1/8 tsp olive oil and your eggs won't stick :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just use real butter. Fake butter has been so processed that I don't feel comfortable eating it or exposing it to high heat where whatever chemicals are in it can denature and possible turn into something bad for me. At least everything in real butter is whole, and your body can process it better. If you're not slathering everything in it, using it to cook eggs won't hurt you.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I used to use ICBINB, but I prefer the taste of real butter. I don't use it very often, so it's not a big deal to me. I do use Land O Lakes whipped butter for somethings, but I don't like it as much as stick butter.
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I typically use real butter because it's easier for your body to process since it's all natural. I only use about a tsp with my eggs regardless of what I happen to use that day (Real butter or Brummel and Brown). I'd say try heating your skillet just a touch more before adding the eggs. My number one reason for them sticking is that the pan is too cool when I add them. I let it get sizzling hot, toss in the butter and coat, then toss in the eggs.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    If I use butter at all, I just use real butter. Same goes for stuff like ice cream, chocolate...go big or go home. I'd rather know what I'm eating and have to make room for some calories and fat than be eating chemicals that I can't pronounce :)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I have been using "I Can't Believe Its Not Butter! Light" (ICBINBL) for a while now. I just wasn't into the amount of fat and cholesterol in butter. However, my mom heard Dr Oz talking about ICBINB on his show the other day and it wasn't positive. It sparked an interest in me and I started doing some research. When I hit the forums, its always the same (so I assume it will be here here too) but I figured I would toss it out there anyway. I use 1 *TEASPOON* of ICBINB to cook my eggs every morning. The serving size is a tablespoon. So im using 1/3 of that. The problem is, the eggs stick to the pan with ICBINB for whatever reason, so I also spray a bit of Pam in the pan first. Im wondering if I should just go back to using a little butter.

Also, anyone with information on ICBINB being bad, or worse than butter, that would be appreciated.

ICBINB is no different than the plastic package it comes in.....................

Real butter is just cream and salt that has been shaken or churned......................You can't get much simpler than that.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If I use butter at all, I just use real butter. Same goes for stuff like ice cream, chocolate...go big or go home. I'd rather know what I'm eating and have to make room for some calories and fat than be eating chemicals that I can't pronounce :)
    ^THIS! Using "real" food is always better for you! And really a tsp of real butter isn't going to hurt you on calories.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I like real butter. Although, I do keep earth balance around as well. It is a little more real than I can't believe it is not butter. I use the earth balance if I am trying to be vegan that day.

I recently picked up reduced fat Kerrygold butter. I don't know what they did to make it so, but the ingredients are the same as regular butter, so it is a win win.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options

Yes, this is what I am working on now, just incorporating real foods and cleaning out all the unpronounceable stuff.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I just use a little butter. I don't hardly need it, so when I do it's only a small amount every once in a while, and I use EVOO spray to spritz my pans with. I tried liking the fake butter, but all of it to me has a chemical taste.
  • I use Balade. It really tastes like butter the its half the calories. Also the list of ingredients is more on the natural side. I am not sure how available it is in most areas. I get it from Trader Joe's. Its imported from Sweden I believe.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I just think that the 'fake' version of anything can't necessarily be good for you. What chemicals are they putting in these products to make them taste like the real thing??
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Real butter here too. Margarine is so much different than it was 20 years ago. There is so much water in it now. My baking does not come out right. We don't use a lot of butter so we just use the real thing.......
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Using "real" food is good for you no matter what it is? What a joke. Come on guys don't be stupid.

I'll just go eat all the fat that dripped off my sausages on the grill, because that's "real" food that came straight out of an animal and isn't processed! What a great idea!
  • sfh0wrd
    Options

This! It's just moderation. If you prefer the taste of butter, use the butter! If you are using that small of an amount, it's not going to make a big difference. And the ingredient list on butter is SO much shorter than ICBINB!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Definitely check your cooking method, if there's spray AND butter that you're using and it's still sticking... is that something with the product you're using or are you not pre-heating the pan "fully"... I use a cast iron pan that is well seasoned and don't use any sprays or butter, and nothing sticks if it's pre-heated before adding the items to be cooked. All bets are off if it's not up to temperature though but it's cast iron... I keep the metal instruments around for that :P
  • britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love Brummel and Brown yogurt spread. It's real butter, but it's creamier.
  • MrsAmySchoener
    Options
    I don't use butter with my eggs at all.. Sometimes you just need a really good non stick pan, pay for a nice skillet and your eggs will slide out! And your eggs might not be completely done if they are not coming off the pan (Saw this on Kitchen Nightmares) :)
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, try to avoid H2O as it's a chemical.

It has a chemical formula and everything.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    USE BUTTER