Real Butter vs. Fake Butter

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Using "real" food is good for you no matter what it is? What a joke. Come on guys don't be stupid.

I'll just go eat all the fat that dripped off my sausages on the grill, because that's "real" food that came straight out of an animal and isn't processed! What a great idea!

Yep, your being sarcastic, but it is actually the truth of what we humans should do. Saturated fat is NOT bad and is very much needed in the body for the body to work and perform as it is expected to do.

It is common sense really. Factory or lab made vs what humans and other animals have been eating since the beginning of time.

I will take the latter.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'd rather use those sausage drippings mentioned a couple posts up than margarine or the fake butters.. if they came from my sausages anyway, that are from my pastured cattle ;)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Using "real" food is good for you no matter what it is? What a joke. Come on guys don't be stupid.

I'll just go eat all the fat that dripped off my sausages on the grill, because that's "real" food that came straight out of an animal and isn't processed! What a great idea!

I think everyone agrees that moderation is key here.

Another good tip instead of using cooking spray is get extra virgin olive oil and a good spray bottle (I have a kitchen spritzer thing from Pampered Chef) and use that to keep your eggs/whatever from sticking to the pan. Just don't use too much, one spritz is plenty.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I use EVOO spray... and never have a problem with the eggs sticking. I do use smart balance butter when necessary but that's rare.. and usually only half a serving only.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, try to avoid H2O as it's a chemical.

It has a chemical formula and everything.

It's naturally occurring. And hydrogen and oxygen are elements, not man made chemicals. What is the point of being rude and sarcastic if you're not even going to be somewhat helpful?
  • gleechick609
    Options
    All those "butter sprays" are just chemicals! Better off with the real thing!

Real butter = fat burning fat :)
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Pam spray on hot cast iron. I can cook eggs any way imaginable and as long as the cast iron skillet is heated up, it won't stick (unless you are cooking hashbrowns with the eggs. Then it will stick no matter what.)
  • steadyloser
    Options
    Hello,
    The ICBINB in the spray bottles has zero calories.
    I like the taste of it since I'm always craving salt.
    It is a little high in sodium.
    Hope this helps.
    Worstloser
  • hansoel
    hansoel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Real butter - no question.... try this, Take a small amount of butter and put in one palm, take the same amount of a fake butter and put it in the other palm, close your hands for a few minutes and look and see. The butter is absorbed by your body while the fake butter still sits like a lump of lard (plaque anyone?) Or take a tub of the fake stuff, put it on your counter and see what happens to it -- I saw one that had been sitting out for a year and had never changed.... so just imagine what it is doing in your body, organs - veins etc etc. So hands down, real butter.

Best for cooking eggs, a bit of olive oil and a little butter -- no stick and great taste.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Yep, your being sarcastic, but it is actually the truth of what we humans should do. Saturated fat is NOT bad and is very much needed in the body for the body to work and perform as it is expected to do.

It is common sense really. Factory or lab made vs what humans and other animals have been eating since the beginning of time.

I will take the latter.
    ^^^^EXACTLY.

Naysay all you want, but it's sure been working for me.

:)
    Amy
  • Pandorian
    Options
    Love the labelling system we have... it MAY have less than 5 calories per "serving" so they get to label it 0 but that doesn't mean you can use the whole container and that it'd be 0 calories... they just get wiggle room not having to report anything under 5 calories per serving
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If I use butter at all, I just use real butter. Same goes for stuff like ice cream, chocolate...go big or go home. I'd rather know what I'm eating and have to make room for some calories and fat than be eating chemicals that I can't pronounce :)

AMEN!!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to a non hydrogenated margarine such as olivio or Smart Balance which contain emulsifiers to get the butter like texture rather than hydrogenation which alters the chemical composition of the oil to make it solid at room temerature. I know we need some saturated fat, but most Americans get way too much and I try to cut it out where I can
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I don't think that's what anyone is saying here... that is such a hyperbolic statement... :-/ Personally, I too would rather know what is in my food without having to have a degree in Chemistry to know what it is... (and H2O doesn't really count as it is water and everyone knows what that is without a degree in Chemistry)... I would rather not have to ask my husband (who is very proficient in Chemistry) what everything is... and to be honest, why would I want red dye 40 in my food when fruits and vegetables can give me the same colors without the man-made chemical makeup. I mean seriously, what exactly is "natural and artifical flavor"?
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Love the labelling system we have... it MAY have less than 5 calories per "serving" so they get to label it 0 but that doesn't mean you can use the whole container and that it'd be 0 calories... they just get wiggle room not having to report anything under 5 calories per serving

It's actually .5 calories, not 5 calories
  • Pandorian
    Options
    As per the FDA it's 5
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/FoodLabelingGuide/ucm064894.htm

N7. When the caloric value for a serving of a food is less than 5 calories, can the actual caloric value be declared?

Answer: The caloric value of a product containing less than 5 calories may be expressed as zero or to the nearest 5 calorie increment (i.e., zero or 5 depending on the level). Foods with less than 5 calories meet the definition of “calorie free” and any differences are dietarily insignificant. 21 CFR 101.9(c)(1)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Real butter is the way to go! Below is copied from http://bodyecology.com/articles/benefits_of_real_butter.php

And why would I be so insistent that you eat butter? Take a look at the long list of the benefits you receive when you include it in your diet:8
    1.Butter is rich in the most easily absorbable form of Vitamin A necessary for thyroid and adrenal health.
    2.Contains lauric acid, important in treating fungal infections and candida.
    3.Contains lecithin, essential for cholesterol metabolism.
    4.Contains anti-oxidants that protect against free radical damage.
    5.Has anti-oxidants that protect against weakening arteries.
    6.Is a great source of Vitamins E and K.
    7.Is a very rich source of the vital mineral selenium.
    8.Saturated fats in butter have strong anti-tumor and anti-cancer properties.
    9.Butter contains conjugated linoleic acid, which is a potent anti-cancer agent, muscle builder, and immunity booster
    10.Vitamin D found in butter is essential to absorption of calcium.
    11.Protects against tooth decay.
    12.Is your only source of an anti-stiffness factor, which protects against calcification of the joints.
    13.Anti-stiffness factor in butter also prevents hardening of the arteries, cataracts, and calcification of the pineal gland.
    14.Is a source of Activator X, which helps your body absorb minerals.
    15.Is a source of iodine in highly absorbable form.
    16.May promote fertility in women.9
    17.Is a source of quick energy, and is not stored in our bodies adipose tissue.
    18.Cholesterol found in butterfat is essential to children's brain and nervous system development.
    19.Contains Arachidonic Acid (AA) which plays a role in brain function and is a vital component of cell membranes.
    20.Protects against gastrointestinal infections in the very young or the elderly.

Butter has been wrongly demoized for a long time. That it is not healthy for you is total myth. Additionally on the saturated fat front, there have been multiple studies, including the prestigious Framingham Heart Study, sponsored by the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, that have shown there to be no link between dietary saturated fat and serum cholesterol in the absence of other mitigating factors such as obesity and high triglycerides from excessive intake of carbohydrates far above the daily requirment for glycogen stores.

Plain and simple, butter is a good fat. Use it without worry.
  • Pandorian
    Options
    from the same "info sheet" though FAT does have a 0.5g limit.. if it has less than 0.5 it can be reported as 0...
    N12. The total fat content for a serving of my product is 0.1 g. How should I declare fat and calories from fat?

Answer: Because it is present at a level below 0.5 g, the level of fat is expressed as 0 g. Calories from fat would also be expressed as zero. 21 CFR 101.9(c)(1)(i), 21 CFR 101.9(c)(2)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I'd rather use those sausage drippings mentioned a couple posts up than margarine or the fake butters.. if they came from my sausages anyway, that are from my pastured cattle ;)

Those would be tasty eggs. :)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I think everyone agrees that moderation is key here.

Another good tip instead of using cooking spray is get extra virgin olive oil and a good spray bottle (I have a kitchen spritzer thing from Pampered Chef) and use that to keep your eggs/whatever from sticking to the pan. Just don't use too much, one spritz is plenty.

Olive oil is not good for cooking with, your just destroying the nutrients in it and causing it to go rancid when heat is applied.

Coconut oil, bacon / sausage drippings, butter are all more heat stable and just as healthy as olive oil.