Real Butter vs. Fake Butter

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have been using "I Can't Believe Its Not Butter! Light" (ICBINBL) for a while now. I just wasn't into the amount of fat and cholesterol in butter. However, my mom heard Dr Oz talking about ICBINB on his show the other day and it wasn't positive. It sparked an interest in me and I started doing some research. When I hit the forums, its always the same (so I assume it will be here here too) but I figured I would toss it out there anyway. I use 1 *TEASPOON* of ICBINB to cook my eggs every morning. The serving size is a tablespoon. So im using 1/3 of that. The problem is, the eggs stick to the pan with ICBINB for whatever reason, so I also spray a bit of Pam in the pan first. Im wondering if I should just go back to using a little butter.

Also, anyone with information on ICBINB being bad, or worse than butter, that would be appreciated.

Natural is ALWAYS better. ALWAYS. A moderate amount of butter is not going to kill you.

However, if you don't want your eggs to stick, make sure the pan is very hot, then put a teaspoon or two (depending on pan size) of canola, flax, olive, sunflower or other healthy oil into the pan and then poor in the eggs. Make sure you keep the eggs moving around the pan as they cook.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters on using the proper pan. The butter in your eggs is for flavor, not to keep it from sticking. Use a good nonstick pan, and you can get away with a teaspoon of tasty butter flavor. :)
  • tannjam
    tannjam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    IF I use butter which isnt very often I only use real butter. Has to be better than all the stuff in maragrine
  • hkmamma
    Options
    I am focusing on clean eating I went back to real butter since I don't use much. I am going to take a page from the french women and go with quality of food and not quantity.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Olive oil is not good for cooking with, your just destroying the nutrients in it and causing it to go rancid when heat is applied.

Not quite true. Olive oil isn't good at high temperatures. Low temperatures (like eggs) are fine, and the flavenoids aren't destroyed.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    Buy a good oil mister and a good brand of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Spray your pan and cook your eggs. You will end up using about 1/8 tsp olive oil and your eggs won't stick :)

This is exactly what I do... Works great!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Using "real" food is good for you no matter what it is? What a joke. Come on guys don't be stupid.

I'll just go eat all the fat that dripped off my sausages on the grill, because that's "real" food that came straight out of an animal and isn't processed! What a great idea!

I think everyone agrees that moderation is key here.

Another good tip instead of using cooking spray is get extra virgin olive oil and a good spray bottle (I have a kitchen spritzer thing from Pampered Chef) and use that to keep your eggs/whatever from sticking to the pan. Just don't use too much, one spritz is plenty.

Olive oil is not good for cooking with, your just destroying the nutrients in it and causing it to go rancid when heat is applied.

Coconut oil, bacon / sausage drippings, butter are all more heat stable and just as healthy as olive oil.

Not sure I buy that...considering I cook almost exclusively with extra virgin olive oil...and my nutritionist recommended I cook with extra virgin olive oil...but to each their own. I've heard about using coconut oil as well.
  • butjuli
    butjuli Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, try to avoid H2O as it's a chemical.

It has a chemical formula and everything.

It's naturally occurring. And hydrogen and oxygen are elements, not man made chemicals. What is the point of being rude and sarcastic if you're not even going to be somewhat helpful?

^I agree with Meredith. Also, my chemistry degree will back me up in assuring you that the chemical H2O is perfectly safe....even though it has a chemical formula and everything.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Using "real" food is good for you no matter what it is? What a joke. Come on guys don't be stupid.

I'll just go eat all the fat that dripped off my sausages on the grill, because that's "real" food that came straight out of an animal and isn't processed! What a great idea!

Yep, your being sarcastic, but it is actually the truth of what we humans should do. Saturated fat is NOT bad and is very much needed in the body for the body to work and perform as it is expected to do.

It is common sense really. Factory or lab made vs what humans and other animals have been eating since the beginning of time.

I will take the latter.
    ^^^^EXACTLY.

Naysay all you want, but it's sure been working for me.

:)
    Amy

Yeah. I save my bacon fat and cook in that. I also cook in butter, ghee, and coconut oil.
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'd rather use those sausage drippings mentioned a couple posts up than margarine or the fake butters.. if they came from my sausages anyway, that are from my pastured cattle ;)

Those would be tasty eggs. :)

:laugh: :laugh: I was just thinking that!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Another good tip instead of using cooking spray is get extra virgin olive oil and a good spray bottle (I have a kitchen spritzer thing from Pampered Chef) and use that to keep your eggs/whatever from sticking to the pan. Just don't use too much, one spritz is plenty.

Coconut oil, bacon / sausage drippings, butter are all more heat stable and just as healthy as olive oil.

Not sure I buy that...considering I cook almost exclusively with extra virgin olive oil...and my nutritionist recommended I cook with extra virgin olive oil...but to each their own. I've heard about using coconut oil as well.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=261

This is just one article I have read. I was advised by my Naturopathic Dr who is also certified in Nutrition and Whole Foods Nutrition. Then I started reading up about it and found she is quite right.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Extra virgin olive oil is actually bad for cooking. Not for health reasons, but because any heat applied to extra virgin olive oil kills everything that makes it extra virgin. Extra virgin is for cold food (dressings and topping foods,) for cooking, you want regular olive oil, it's got a higher smoke point and is much more stable as a cooking fat.

As for butter vs margarine, butter, always. Or bacon fat. :love:
  • dancingincircles84
    Options

It's naturally occurring. And hydrogen and oxygen are elements, not man made chemicals. What is the point of being rude and sarcastic if you're not even going to be somewhat helpful?

^I agree with Meredith. Also, my chemistry degree will back me up in assuring you that the chemical H2O is perfectly safe....even though it has a chemical formula and everything.
    Everything is made of chemicals. Essential amino acids for survival are made up of the chemicals carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen. Harmful toxins like DDT are made up of chemicals too. The word "chemicals" is so vague and misconstrued that when people use it they are not really proving anything. Triglycerides are the main components of animal fats and vegetable oils.
    However, I agree that it's better to stick to naturally occurring foods than synthetically produced foods.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Extra virgin olive oil is actually bad for cooking. Not for health reasons, but because any heat applied to extra virgin olive oil kills everything that makes it extra virgin. Extra virgin is for cold food (dressings and topping foods,) for cooking, you want regular olive oil, it's got a higher smoke point and is much more stable as a cooking fat.

As for butter vs margarine, butter, always. Or bacon fat. :love:

To add to what tigersword said..............regular olive oil and light olive oil most times have been cut with vegetable oils such as canola oil, which is another topic in itself about how rancid canola oil is.

Best bet is to cook with butter, coconut oil, bacon fat. Leave the olive oil for salad dressings or drizzling over foods after you remove them from the oven. I do this with asparagus.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    If you want a olive oil spread, buy olive oil and butter and experiment with mixing them until you get a ratio you like. Coconut oil is good too. You could mix that in as well.
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    I have been using "I Can't Believe Its Not Butter! Light" (ICBINBL) for a while now. I just wasn't into the amount of fat and cholesterol in butter. However, my mom heard Dr Oz talking about ICBINB on his show the other day and it wasn't positive. It sparked an interest in me and I started doing some research. When I hit the forums, its always the same (so I assume it will be here here too) but I figured I would toss it out there anyway. I use 1 *TEASPOON* of ICBINB to cook my eggs every morning. The serving size is a tablespoon. So im using 1/3 of that. The problem is, the eggs stick to the pan with ICBINB for whatever reason, so I also spray a bit of Pam in the pan first. Im wondering if I should just go back to using a little butter.

Also, anyone with information on ICBINB being bad, or worse than butter, that would be appreciated.

I cook my eggs in a half tablespoon of avocado oil. The fats in it are good for you and the eggs taste way better.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Everything is made of chemicals. Essential amino acids for survival are made up of the chemicals carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen. Harmful toxins like DDT are made up of chemicals too. The word "chemicals" is so vague and misconstrued that when people use it they are not really proving anything. Triglycerides are the main components of animal fats and vegetable oils.
    However, I agree that it's better to stick to naturally occurring foods than synthetically produced foods.

People know what is meant when others (like me) that say we want to live chemical free. Meaning man made stuff that obviously is not found in nature.

It is people's ignorance when they start spouting the above saying well water is made of chemicals.......H2O....blah, blah, blah. Well DUH, it is also a NATURAL chemical reaction, not something God went and made in a lab.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Use a touch of olive oil.

I love real butter. Nothing beats the taste. And, I don't have to use all that much either. However, I am hesitant to use it for frying, because I tend to burn it.
  • chergarr73
    chergarr73 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    FYI if you are using butter to keep a pan slick for eggs, always use unsalted. The salt in salted butter encourages sticking.