Does it REALLY matter where calories come from?

Options

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Mostly it does not matter. If you eat at a deficit, you should lose. If you eat excess calories, you will gain.

There is a great deal of fine tuning that can be done, but bottom line is you WILL lose weight if you eat at a deficit (note I didn't say how much of a deficit or how much you'll lose or if it will be fat or muscle or both). I also didn't mention how you'll feel or how long you can sustain the deficit/dieting thing.

All factors that can be affected by your food choices and size of your deficit.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Think so, get calories from healthy things, not sugar chocolate or fat!

Well, not all fats are bad for you and your body does need some fat. Also, dark chocolate is healthy when eatten in moderation. Also, wont make you want to go out and eat every little thing because you cut it completely out of your diet.
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    No, it can't. To "negate the deficit," sugar would have to have some kind of magical power to produce energy beyond it's caloric value.

Apparently you have never heard of the glycemic index?????
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It really does matter when I first started in Nov I will still eating some sugar and drinking diet soda and eating lots of fruit. I found out not all fruit is what it's cracked up to be. I stopped all sugar as much as I can and stopped drinking anything but water. That got me 32 pounds lost.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I'd say for weight loss it doesn't matter.

But the further you dig into fitness and nutrition, the more you realize other things come into play to achieve the health/fitness goals you're after.

The things you consume can very well affect other aspects of your life, not just your weight.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Why should certain fruits be eaten earlier in the day?

Because of the sugars and how your body burns them off. Grapes have 35g of sugar for 15, which is only a serving. Plus you don't want to spike your sugar's up before bed. They also say before yoga or stuff like that that banana's are good.

no offense but this idea of eating certain things at certain times of the day has no foundation. It doesnt matter.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    <- I eat a LOT of sugar and salt.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I suddenly put on a bunch of weight (15lbs in weeks) went back and looked and I was eating a very high fat diet. Like 48% of my cals were coming from fat. I'm working on my macros and have dropped 6 lbs by staying (or trying) to stay within.

I am going to keep working on it and see what happens in the next week and I'm thinking if the first week was an indication that it will help.

Good luck to you and stay away from the gummy bears :)
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    No, it can't. To "negate the deficit," sugar would have to have some kind of magical power to produce energy beyond it's caloric value.

What does the GI have to do with calories?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

The hypoglycemic index is for people that have a medical condition that impairs their ability to metabolize carbohydrates. I was assuming that the OP was referring to the 90% of the population that doesn't have diabetes.
  • Dahavol
    Options
    If you want a really in-depth breakdown of the answer to your question. Check out the article below. Short answer is that it does matter where the calories come from long term for overall nutrition and meal satisfaction, but from a pure thermodynamic perspective a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Note that there is a difference in the different nutrients and how much energy is expended getting energy from them, but this effect is typically negligible with regard to the overall calorie burn of the day and therefore can be mostly ignored by the main stream dieter.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/is-a-calorie-a-calorie.html
  • UponThisRock
    Options

That's why you're so fat.
  • Cindym82
    Options

OMG, don't be so rude....
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

But I'm not fat. Which was my and his point (he was joking not being rude).
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I think he was joking...since its pretty obvious she's not fat based on the pic...
  • UponThisRock
    Options

I lose a little more faith in humanity every day
  • Cindym82
    Options

Because of the sugars and how your body burns them off. Grapes have 35g of sugar for 15, which is only a serving. Plus you don't want to spike your sugar's up before bed. They also say before yoga or stuff like that that banana's are good.

no offense but this idea of eating certain things at certain times of the day has no foundation. It doesnt matter.

Maybe not to you, but to some people it does matter. I for one can't go out an eat pizza or a burger for dinner and than not expect the scale to go up the next day. Also, if I go and have too much sugar (fruits) or sodium at dinner I do gain weight from it.
  • Cindym82
    Options

I lose a little more faith in humanity every day

I apologize....my computer screwed up the pics as it loaded *damn you work firewall*
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Maybe not to you, but to some people it does matter. I for one can't go out an eat pizza or a burger for dinner and than not expect the scale to go up the next day. Also, if I go and have too much sugar (fruits) or sodium at dinner I do gain weight from it.
    Meaningless water weight. Not fat gain. Losing and/or gaining water weight isn't going to make you look any different...not unless you're already at a very low body fat.

Science says meal timing doesn't matter. Broscience says it does.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

alrighty then