Does it REALLY matter where calories come from?

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Only from a nutritional point of view. There are small variations in the way the body will process molecules, but in the end a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Aim for the healthiest eating that fits into your lifestyle, move around a bit, be honest with yourself and educate yourself and you will be fine.

This is exactly what my doc told me. He said you can eat 1500 calories of snickers or of clean foods and you'll lose, it's about how crappy you'll feel eating snickers...and how hungry you'll be, and sluggish...

weird. I love snickers. and after eating one ... I think, 'man, I loved eating that snickers.' I may work out for an extra 20 minutes today. that'd give me a snickers.
  • lissamok
    Options

weird. I love snickers. and after eating one ... I think, 'man, I loved eating that snickers.' I may work out for an extra 20 minutes today. that'd give me a snickers.

This made me chuckle. I should start incorporating this philosophy as well. Everything I have read so far in my research proves that a calorie is a calorie, regardless of its source. Ultimately you probably want to consume healthier foods for a healthier lifestyle, but I know many people who still eat pure junk in small portions and still lose weight. They just feel more sluggish than I do on a daily basis.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Nicely said David!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Thats absolutely wonderful! When I find people I come across on here who are informed and carry tact so that their message can be heard- I totally save them or at the very least- look forward to reading their posts when I encounter them.

But people who assume everyone that havent spoken to is a retard that has no idea what they are talking about, well, I tend to do my best not to waste energy trying to discuss things with them.

Some people love to hear what others know, some people love to share information, some people love exploring opposing sides...

and some people learn how to argue so that even if the other person's point is valid, they still want to make them look as though they cannot argue a point- so they attack grammar- or placement of sources, or want a link instead of names.

And some people just like to join a weight loss site- so they can steal before photos and make memes from those who are here trying.

I dont know which he is, and if I come across him several times and he seems to me like someone who is well informed and wants to be helpful- then awesome. If not- awesome as well- he owes me nothing.

But there are trolls on this site. And there are troll groupies.

Forgive me, but how is this remotely relevant to the content of the thread?

(I'm neither a troll nor a groupie, and found this little rant a bit bemusing.)
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I lived for twenty five years eating a loaf of white bread and a jar of peanut butter almost every day, I used to eat about a dozen donuts a week. I did not exercise, I did not drink my 8 cups of water and I was fat not mobile but I WAS DANG HAPPY!!! I lost 100 pounds and somewhere between I lost 100 pounds and now I realize that who the F**K cares if I gain weight or eat cake or a pizza weekly or just sit in front of the tube watching netflix stuffing my face with 100 calorie packs of oreos or mixed nuts and figs. Life as we know it now will change and I rather die happy then die starving because I did not enjoy food.

Saying that just like the twinkie diet I think its important to incorporate a little junk in your diet if not daily but maybe weekly. A friend of mine told me this.... Year back we would eat cake batter, sour dough, tubs of lard and weren't as fat as we are today... Could the secret to staying fit healthy and lean be in how much we move as opposed to what we eat?

If your goal is optimal nutrition good luck in that department because I think even science hasn't figured that one out.
  • lilojoke
    Options
    Life is too damn short. You could get hit by a bus, you could end up with cancer even though you do everything right, there are way too many variables. Enjoy your friggen life, eat the birthday cake, eat some ice cream, in moderation and profit. Life is WAY more fun when not orthorexic (coming from a past orthorexic). I <3 my sugary blessed life. :D

Help us all from this woman! Right on the money if you ask me!
  • Wallaby2
    Wallaby2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Yes it does matter where you calories come from. Food is fuel for your body so eating a well balanced diet full of fresh and colourful food is important.

I heard a quote recently that went something like this "The western world eats huge quantities in order to feel full yet nutritionally they are starving". That really impacted me.

All the best! :)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Calories consumed < calories burned = weight loss

weight loss =/= health

Here endeth the lesson.
  • lilojoke
    Options
    I'm not even sure what the argument is here.

Of course eating whole grain, vegetables, salads, fruits, etc., etc., etc. is healthier for you than eating pizza, french fries, donuts, burritos to some standard, but it has no effect on actual weight loss. 2000 calories of apples are the same calories as 2000 calories of pizza. Different nutrients, which some may argue are better for you, but it is still the same amount of calories. From reading some of the earlier posts, I get the impression that some are saying that if I eat 2000 calories of "clean" food, I will lose more weight than if I ate 2000 calories of whatever. There is no science backing that up and is pure speculation and nonsense.

Different foods may make you fuller but 2000 calories is 2000 calories there are no magically foods!
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body what work well for someone may not work well for someone else. I do believe that sodium destoy many good intentions. As to sugar i eat cookies on a regular basis and it has not impede my weght lost. In fact i reach my goal and decided to lose 25 more and reach that goal. But exercising and eating food that is fill with nutriention is the key to a healthy lifestyle. Drink your water and exercise and you will be in the best shape of your life in no time at all. .
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Calories consumed < calories burned = weight loss

weight loss =/= health

Here endeth the lesson.
    Many people seem to miss this point.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    Thats absolutely wonderful! When I find people I come across on here who are informed and carry tact so that their message can be heard- I totally save them or at the very least- look forward to reading their posts when I encounter them.

But people who assume everyone that havent spoken to is a retard that has no idea what they are talking about, well, I tend to do my best not to waste energy trying to discuss things with them.

and I tend to completely ignore anyone who decides to use the bolded term. please read this link ... and please choose a new word to insult people with.

http://phoebeholmes.com/2011/12/23/being-retarded/
  • lilojoke
    Options
    Hi!

Yes it does matter where you calories come from. Food is fuel for your body so eating a well balanced diet full of fresh and colourful food is important.

I heard a quote recently that went something like this "The western world eats huge quantities in order to feel full yet nutritionally they are starving". That really impacted me.

All the best! :)

Very true and well said. From a nutritional stand point it does matter but from a scientific point it really doesn't matter.

Sometimes I think we are getting fatter because we worry so dang much on what to eat then how much we move.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

and I tend to completely ignore anyone who decides to use the bolded term. please read this link ... and please choose a new word to insult people with.

Oh man...this thread is officially doomed. The last thing we need is to start that arguement as well.
  • dawnwalraven
    Options
    This is the most sensible thing Ive read on here so far!
  • dawnwalraven
    Options

Why should certain fruits be eaten earlier in the day?

Because of the sugars and how your body burns them off. Grapes have 35g of sugar for 15, which is only a serving. Plus you don't want to spike your sugar's up before bed. They also say before yoga or stuff like that that banana's are good.

no offense but this idea of eating certain things at certain times of the day has no foundation. It doesnt matter.

Maybe not to you, but to some people it does matter. I for one can't go out an eat pizza or a burger for dinner and than not expect the scale to go up the next day. Also, if I go and have too much sugar (fruits) or sodium at dinner I do gain weight from it.
    If you eat out anywhere, it's likely you are consuming a bunch of sodium, which is likely going to cause your body to retain water - at least until the next morning. So I don't dispute your claim that if you go out for a pizza or burger, you will see a "weight gain" the next day.

But I'm not convinced that isn't water weight. If you consumed at your calorie goal (assuming you are set to lose weight) and ONLY ate burgers and pizza, you would see a weight loss over the course of a week. Unless you have dietary/nutritional/biological exceptions, this is how it would play out for everyone else too. You probably won't feel great if all you consumed was burgers fries and pizza. But you could lose weight.

And before anyone jumps in with "Why not lose weight in a healthy way?" or "My Members Only jacket still rocks!" understand that the reason many of us debunk these food myths is actually to be helpful. Too many people freak out because they ate a burger or ate pizza - or are so worried, they deny themselves food they love. And for some, their diet becomes so restrictive, they are set up for failure.

Telling someone it's fine to eat pizza once in awhile is not promoting unhealthy weight loss. It's addressing our crazy obsessive monkey brains and promoting a reasonable weight loss plan. It's OK to eat "bad" foods sometimes. Some people do great eating only sparkling clean shiny pure food. Some people can eat burgers and fries IN MODERATION and still have a relatively healthy diet over the course of a week - and lose weight.
  • audreyray
    Options
    Why can't I get weight training to calulate any calorie loss???? Very frustrating.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating just junk food, but the body burns healthy food twice as quickly...

so...maybe you can eat 2,500 calories of fruits/veges daily (o_o) and lose weight still...
    but eat 2,500 calories of junk food and gain.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

Oh man...this thread is officially doomed. The last thing we need is to start that arguement as well.

and, luke, if you think there's actually an argument there? you're in the ignored camp, too. it's pretty cut and dried. might as well throw out racial epithets if you think it's ok.

and argument has only one 'e.' just sayin.