All u successful people: What are your top 3 tips for weight

Options
My weight loss has been very slow and inconsistent; with many gains, loses and weeks with neither. This last week has been particulary rough and I feel like I don't even know where to go from here or what the right choices are anymore. As a result, I found myself asking, "What are the people losing weight doing that I am not?" I would love to hear from all of you who are having success and are losing those pounds and inches. What are the top 3-5 things you have done to achieve successful and healthy weight loss?

Thanks everyone!!

Replies

• NINAjustdoit
    NINAjustdoit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    :)
  • shahendrickson
    shahendrickson Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1. No fast food.
    2. Exercise.
    3. Keep food diary.
    4. Be patient.
    5. Stay positive.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    bump
  • htalexander
    Options
    bump
  • journeytoahealthy51
    Options
    1. Log everything that goes in your mouth. Only lying to yourself if you don't.
    2. Exercise at least 30 minutes at least 5 days a week. It will become habit after a while.
    3. Eat your exercise calories. You earned that extra food:)
    4. Don't let one bad day/meal/week derail you.
    5. Do this for you, and only you. You are worth it.
  • amandasue1107
    amandasue1107 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    1. Log everything that goes in your mouth. Only lying to yourself if you don't.
    2. Exercise at least 30 minutes at least 5 days a week. It will become habit after a while.
    3. Eat your exercise calories. You earned that extra food:)
    4. Don't let one bad day/meal/week derail you.
    5. Do this for you, and only you. You are worth it.

These are great! I am learning to eat completely different than I was before. It's crazy how much sodium and calories I was intaking before!
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    1. Eat (Seriously....I won't do 1200 calories)
    2. Move (Exercise at least 5 times a week and keep pushing your limits)
    3. Log (It'a amazing how much a bite here and there adds up)
  • CaitlinR85
    Options
    Good advice TammyE2011. I'm taking it on board :)
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    1. Log everything - that means EVERYTHING - and be honest about it.
    2. Eat your exercise calories - at least half of them.
    3. Strength train - you can increase your resting metabolism and look better!
    4. Get more protein - the MFP guidelines for protein are too low I think. I try to get close to 100g a day, especially with exercise your body will thank you.
    5. Drink more water - I feel better and look better and perform better when I'm hydrated.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    1. Weigh & measure everything that goes in your mouth. Portion size is key & can be deceiving.
    2. Log everything faithfully.
    3. Exercise 5-6 days/week; 45-60 minutes of cardio & 2-3 days of strength training /week; HIIT is best
    4. High protein/high fiber; it IS about more than just calories; it's about WHAT you're eating as well
    5. Be committed & persistent; one day at a time & you will develop healthy habits

Good luck! Friend me if you'd like. I will try to help you any way I can. :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    1. STOP paying so much attention to the scale and set yourself some non-scale (non-pant size) goals. Ideally, these should be fitness goals.
    2. Make a list of why you want to drop this weight and what you hope to accomplish once you do and tape it to your vanity mirror.
    3. NEVER ever EVER EVER believe you can't do this. NOT ONCE.
  • WheyStrong
    WheyStrong Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    1. Find a way to stay motivated - Watch inspirational youtube videos, join other fitness sites, surround yourself with people with the same goals, etc......

2. Make the right choice - Every day you are faced with choices where one will lead you to your goal or farther from it. I always tell myself, "for once in your life, man the F up and make the right choice!"

3. Knowledge is key - Informing yourself on how to properly lose weight is the best thing you can do for yourself. Don't base your weight loss attempts on "what other people say" or "I saw this on tv or read it in an article" Really educate yourself properly on the aspects of losing weight or whatever your goals are.

Good luck on your 2012 goals!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    1. Eat enough
    2. Lots of protein and fiber
    3. Lift heavy
  • journeytoahealthy51
    Options
    I NEVER exercised before mfp. Now I run 5 days almost every week. I do allow myself at least one day a week of being a slug:)
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    1. Drown yourself in water..drink over 12 glasses daily!
    2. You must get the body moving @ minimum 4-5 x weekly!! Do minute 30 mins of Cardio and add some resistance training!
    3. Find out how many calories YOUR body needs to lose...too little or too many can cause adverse effects on your weight loss. For example..I must stay within 1300-1500 in order to loss on non exercise days.
    4. Cook your own food...avoid fast food.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    1. Water
    2. Strength training
    3. Log all your food (even the stuff you don't want to admit to)
    4. Watch sodium and potassium and at least try to even them out. If you get too much sodium, get just as much potassium.
    5. Vitamins... I use B-complex (heavy on B6 and B12) and a calcium/magnesium blend with a 2 to 1 ratio
  • emeralds5668
    Options
    My weight loss has been very slow and inconsistent; with many gains, loses and weeks with neither. This last week has been particulary rough and I feel like I don't even know where to go from here or what the right choices are anymore. As a result, I found myself asking, "What are the people losing weight doing that I am not?" I would love to hear from all of you who are having success and are losing those pounds and inches. What are the top 3-5 things you have done to achieve successful and healthy weight loss?

Thanks everyone!!

mine would be to eat smaller portions more often.

excersize as often as possible...hiit is what has worked for me

get plenty of sleep and water.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    2. Make the right choice - Every day you are faced with choices where one will lead you to your goal or farther from it. I always tell myself, "for once in your life, man the F up and make the right choice!"

3. Knowledge is key - Informing yourself on how to properly lose weight is the best thing you can do for yourself. Don't base your weight loss attempts on "what other people say" or "I saw this on tv or read it in an article" Really educate yourself properly on the aspects of losing weight or whatever your goals are.

Good luck on your 2012 goals!

BEST ADVICE!!!
  • notsoskinnyminnie
    notsoskinnyminnie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    3. NEVER ever EVER EVER believe you can't do this. NOT ONCE.

Elizabeth_C34 - This is great to remember. The mental aspect of a healthy lifestyle is just as important as the physical aspects.

If I'm having a rough day or didn't meet a calorie/fitness goal, I sometimes start to feel frustrated about how I'm not doing so well on that day... but then I remember that it's not about just that day, it's about my entire life, and I'm not quitting. So one rough day won't ruin everything. Heck, a month of rough days wouldn't. Because I'm. Not. Stopping.

So there, doubts. Neener. :tongue: