All u successful people: What are your top 3 tips for weight

Options

Replies

• vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I am loving all the tips! Thank you and keep them coming!! :)

One of my concerns is the amount of calories I eat. I am eating 1400 a day, and exercising 3-5 days a week (45-60min). Am I not eating enough? I am thinking about bumping my calolries to 1600.

Could be - I am 5'6" and I was working out the same as you eating only 1300 cals (plus my exercise cals).. Then I plateaued. So after a lot of thinking, I bumped them up to 1600 (eating exercise cals still) and I lost again until I was at my goal. Now my metabolism is quite high and I have to eat 1700 - 1800 to maintain.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything at all 2 days out of 7 each week.

Yeah, that'll work. Just like anorexia, doin' drugs and smoking :huh:

Don't listen to this nonsense.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

It does work, and there's nothing unhealthy about it - I would not compare it to anorexia, drugs or smoking. It is called Intermittent Fasting, I would do the research before declaring it nonsense.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Lift weights 3 times per week with professionally designed full body routine
    Eat high protein diet consisting of 1g per lb of lean body mass
    Reduce calories to lose 1% body weight per week

\\Bonus tip:
    (Buy a food scale and measure all SOLIDS if you aren't getting the desired results)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    1. find exercise you love and look forward to doing
    2. lift heavy and brag about it. flex, too.
    3. eat plenty to fuel your body properly, but eat less than you did when you were fat!
    4. write it all down, the good, the bad, the ugly. stay accountable and mindful.
    5. find LOTS of non scale ways to measure progress: measure, bf%, how clothes fit, races accomplished, new classes tried, boyfriends you beat at arm wrestling, etc.

This is AWESOME. Especially number 5. It's taken me a long time to wrap my head around the fact that the scale is NOT the be-all end-all...
  • Elzecat
    Options
    1) Expect results IMMEDIATELY. Try to select a goal in the near future like a hot date a week or two from now, and begin dieting immediately to slim up for that date.

2) Don't bother with minimum calorie suggestions, it's best to eat as little as possible (maybe stick to just diet sodas, and remember chips are fine as long as you stop before you finish the whole bag) and jump right into working out. It's a silly myth that you need to ease into exercise. Your body will thank you.

3) If all else fails, post here demanding to know why it's been eight days and you've only lost four pounds, threaten to give up out of despair.

slightly funny, but I think the OP was actually looking for real tips...:huh:
  • Elzecat
    Options

It does work, and there's nothing unhealthy about it - I would not compare it to anorexia, drugs or smoking. It is called Intermittent Fasting, I would do the research before declaring it nonsense.

I don't have any desire to fast for 2 days out of 7, but I know people who use intermittent fasting techniques--it works for some people...however...just a suggestion for the future--when you're giving that kind of advice to someone who is obviously new to MFP like the OP, you might want to preface your post with "I do Intermittent Fasting." and then explain it a bit or post a link to where they could learn more about whether it is right for them...just telling someone you don't eat is going to raise a lot of eyebrows like this :huh:
  • NINAjustdoit
    NINAjustdoit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am loving all the tips! Thank you and keep them coming!! :)

One of my concerns is the amount of calories I eat. I am eating 1400 a day, and exercising 3-5 days a week (45-60min). Am I not eating enough? I am thinking about bumping my calolries to 1600.

How much do you weigh, and what is your height?

I am 166lbs and 5'8''
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Since you are Moderatetely Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week), Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is 2389.48 calories per day. If you are trying to lose 1 lb per week, then you would cut 3500 calories per week from your diet, or 500 per day. That puts you at 1889 calories per day. I would only eat back exercise calories that exceed 240 minutes per week
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

What she said. IF is a real thing, and work for some people. I just tried it last week. Fasted for 17 hours. Planning on trying it once ever week to ten days.
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options

I've done this in the past when I was in my teens. I have to tell you that this probably has contributed to my slow weight loss now. I still have a hard time eating and it stalls weight loss and slows your metabolism. Now it might not be true for everyone, but if you want to become weight loss resistant in the future, do this.No matter whom I've spoken to, personal trainers, doctors, weight loss experts, guys in the weight room, they've all said this, "Think of your body as an engine. If you have no fuel for the engine it won't work. It will shut down. If you have no oil in the it either, it will eventually have problems in the future, if not immediately."

I've done every diet under the sun in the last 25 years, expect for the South Beach and prepackaged food diets. Everyone does say eat, but eat the right stuff.

Remember, you can find research and media to back up any outlandish plan or idea.

For successful weight loss and maintenance, (I'm back here after deep depression during the holidays and making chocolate and pumpkin pie my only food groups for six weeks :cry: )

1. Make a nutritional lifestyle change. Don't get sucked into diets. You will gain weight later!
    2. No processed foods. My seven year old and I say, "If God didn't put it on the earth like that, don't eat it." Cut processed sugar out of your diet.
    3. Make a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet or fitness plan. Make the health club part of your life (if you can).
    4. Drink water like mad!
    5. As food as a fuel, look at the value of the food. What is it rich in?

Frankly I have a great deal of fun with this. It's time consuming and can be expensive if you're not smart. I make my own crackers out of flax, my own bread and muffins out of whey and soy. I make chips out of kelp. It's an entirely new way of treating food. Hey, good dark chocolate has it's uses too!

:flowerforyou:

Good luck to you!
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    1. Eat REAL food. Eat food its most natural state. Think nutrient density instead of calories.
    2. Eat sufficiently. Food is fuel. It's not love, it's not a friend, it's not your enemy.
    3. Drink your water.

Know that you're worthy of the healthiest body you can achieve :)
  • anamita3
    Options
    1. Find the right motivation for you. For example, you could put on shorts and a small shirt and dance in front of a mirror. You will be disgusted by all the moving flab, but you will also be able to see the lines of what your body could look like.

2. It's cheating, and not super-healthy, but slimfast shakes are very convenient. Get the mix and use almond milk and it comes out to 180 calories a meal.

3. Figure out your habits and adjust. My boyfriend requires about 1,000 calories more than me. When we eat together is my biggest calorie intake, so I eat very lightly until I am with him.

4. Excercise. It really does make a huge difference. Biking is the easiest thing to do repeatedly.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Log everything! Even when you've been bad or fallen off the wagon. It is the writing down that makes you accountable and prevents you from doing it again.

Make it a lifestyle not a diet. Don't think that in a few month's time you'll be able to eat what and how much of what you want because the 'diet is over'. As you get smaller so does your BMR (and sadly calorie burn from cardio) and this only means you can eat less. However you learn what you can eat in abundance and that with exercise that you can earn calories to eat anything you fancy.

Exercise 6 days a week (even if it's just walking for 30 minutes) As someone said before it becomes a habit. I NEVER thought I would be one of those 'gym-goers' and now I find if I miss a day doing any exercise I get cranky because I miss it!

x
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    And....log everything...absolutely everything...Food, exercise. I bought a food scale to keep me clear on what I'm eating. I don't want the wool pulled over my eyes. I need to see the truth. People's biggest pitfall is that they think that they're having only an ounce of something and it's really 2 or 3 ounces.

I couldn't agree more.
  • happyjoyousfree1
    happyjoyousfree1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

This advice is idiotic!
  • candie33
    candie33 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CHANINE111
    CHANINE111 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    - NO OR LITTLE CARBS
    - DONT GET HUNGRY OR STARVE YOURSELF
    - 8 MEALS A DAY
    - EXERCISE HARD
    - GET A GYM PARTNER
    - PEOPLE TO MOTIVATE YOU
    - TO WORK FOR SOMETHING - LIKE A COMP
    - PICS AND VIDEOS
    - DONT GIVE UP!!!
  • sweetendeavor
    sweetendeavor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    While it's important to count calories, it really matters WHAT you're eating. If you think about it, you could be eating junk food all day but staying within your suggested calorie intake. Try to eat things that are as close to their natural form as possible. Eat a lot of veggies and fruits (more veggies than fruits), grains, and protein. If you can't identify the source of what you're eating, don't eat it. Avoid things that can't spoil or come in a box.