What do you give up for Lent?

Options

Replies

• CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am giving up giving up.That way when I give up giving up, I won't feel like I failed when I give up on giving up what I gave up on.
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Makeup... no lip gloss, eyeline, mascara, nothing. Just chapstick
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I have decided to make a list of 40 people who have touched my life in one way or another. Each of day of Lent, I will write a letter of thanks to a person on the list for how they touched my life and I will pray for that person on that day. :smile:

This is awesome!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Ok i modified mine a little so I have several

1) no Negative talk or gossip. This is about other people, situations, job, whatever. If I hear it or am around it I'm to ignore it or try to make it more positive, but at the very least not participate

2) No snacking / eating between meals

3) wine (my favorite!)

4) go to church every sunday / pray once a day

5) do something nice for someone else, even if its just an email to say hello

Also going to do the quarter thing in a jar :)

are we able to or is there a group already to discuss this? Would be nice to be able to update and keep each other on track throughout the lenten season
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has responded to this message board. Yesterday I went back and forth, not sure if I should post it……I am so glad I did!!!!

Many of you are correct the Lenten season is about so much more then just giving up chocolate and coffee…..
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has responded to this message board. Yesterday I went back and forth, not sure if I should post it……I am so glad I did!!!!

Many of you are correct the Lenten season is about so much more then just giving up chocolate and coffee…..

I was going to post somethign if i hadnt seen yours

Also curious if anyone is doign the fasting/ abstaining rules for today and how seriously you follow them
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Suzannejl
    Options

I was going to post somethign if i hadnt seen yours

Also curious if anyone is doign the fasting/ abstaining rules for today and how seriously you follow them

I too was going to post, so thank you!

Yes, today I am fasting and abstaining. It's 3pm and I'm only at 428 calories for the day. I made a big pot of bean soup for dinner, after getting our Ashes of course! ;-)
  • taonga30
    Options
    Good for you! I think It is a good idea, I wanted to give up meat for lent , but my good friend is bringing me deer meat tomorrow what about that/ what a temptation! Cofee and sweets is also a very good idea! but my problem is I just drink cofee when I am working nights! Might try to give it up and trust the Lord will give me strength when I work at night.
  • flong1975
    Options
    I do really well with watching my calories all week BUT then the weekends happen... BEER. That's my sabotaging agent... So I am giving that up. So, I am happily searching the internet for low calorie cocktails to replace it with... I can have just 1 cocktail with dinner and that's it where with beer I will have 2-3 and not think twice.
  • katmmcd
    katmmcd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm just planning to track every bite that I eat and every bit of exercise for the 40 days of Lent. I haven't been the best at tracking in the past....but I'm committed to doing it for this time period....and will hopefully make it a habit beyond Lent.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    This year I have decided to give up Lent for Lent.

Haha! I agree with this one. As I've grown up more independent from my family, I seemed to have become a little less religious. Although, they say instead of giving up something you can do something instead, so maybe I'll do that, like at least go for a 10 minute walk or something every day.
  • taonga30
    Options
    Our church did a 30 day fast from 15 th jan- to 14th feb. and I had joined and finished,
  • Kina7381
    Kina7381 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up rice =/

I love it so much!
  • msespresso
    msespresso Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have decided to give up soda and alcohol. With so many people in the world that don't have clean drinking water, I want to appreciate every drop I have. It's a sacrifice that ALSO keeps me aware of others in the world.

This is what I've been thinking... I've tossed a lot of other ideas around, but I think soda and alcohol will be my final decision. I should have decided before Lent started, but... whatever.

I'm not Catholic, but have given something up for Lent for the past few years... one year it was my Facebook games, then I decided to give them up forever :)
  • sweetmelissa222
    sweetmelissa222 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up anything for Lent, but I am going to run 2-3 times a week and I singed up for some extra volunteer shifts.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I are giving up all meat: red or white.

This means she will have to learn to eat fish!! lol

Jeannie
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I have decided to make a list of 40 people who have touched my life in one way or another. Each of day of Lent, I will write a letter of thanks to a person on the list for how they touched my life and I will pray for that person on that day. :smile:

What a wonderful idea!

Jeannie
  • jenniejoy07
    jenniejoy07 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This year I have decided to give up Lent for Lent.

You are supposed to give up something you love.
  • sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Options
    I am giving up nail biting. Thought it was about time at 36 years old... :)

I am 34 and my new year's resolution was to stop biting my nails. I would argue that this is harder than giving up any substance because what you are trying to give up is literally ALWAYS at your finger tips! But it's not impossible and I have done pretty well with it (I actually have nails now)! I chew a lot of gum and play with my hair more. Hope you are able to find healthy alternatives. Best wishes!!

Thank you! I have given up biting my nails plenty of times but always fall back into that nasty little habit again. My daughter is doing it with me this time so hopefully I'll do it!