Giving up anything for Lent that will help you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• SailorStarMaker
    Options
    I'm giving up all sweets - cake, ice cream, candy, the works. I've realized I really depend on sugary, fatty treats as a pick-me-up, and it's become impossible for me to resist them. I hate the idea of being dependent on substance, so I'm giving them up to practice refusing treats. Maybe after lent I'll have treats sometimes, but hopefully this will break my habit of daily indulgence!

I actually decided to do this before I realized lent was coming up. It just sort of turned out lent and my resolution coincided haha. Weird?
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic but I'm happily giving up fat ...my fat ... and whatever excuses I have left in me. . :D
  • tpot74
    tpot74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I gave up fried foods..love chicken wings from Outback and some waffle fries from Chick fil a
  • caitles14
    Options
    french fries!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I gave up bread and related products (pasta, bagels, that sort of thing), all yogurt other than plain nonfat Greek yogurt, and all junk food/sweets (with the exception of my daily square of dark chocolate).
  • ladynellington
    Options
    I've decided to give up bread, including cakes, cookies and biscuits, doughnuts and all the other forms of wheaty goodness. I'm allowing myself one portion of pasta and one portion of noodles a week just to make family meals a little easier.

On day 5 right now, and feeling fantastic - I have so much more energy!
  • khaapala
    khaapala Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For lent I gave up friends that don't support my weight loss journey. That should take off 100s of pounds of dead weight I have been carrying around with me! I'm 100% serious anyone want to give me a high five or an atta girl?

For sure you get an "ATTA GIRL!" I haven't yet figured out how to get rid of my husband though who insists on eating cookies and ice cream in front of me. To his credit, he did give up the ice cream for Lent, but those cookies..... :laugh:
  • scorepiyo
    scorepiyo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I gave up meat and its going pretty good so far.....if anyone out there is looking for new friends, friend me, I need some fresh motivation!
  • emmamcblain
    Options
    I gave up chocolate, butter, ketchup, orange juice, ham and any food that I haven't made myself.

Ambitious or plain crazy? You decide.
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    Wine
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My cheating husband. I'm on the infidelity diet. Really works.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options

@ryansgram, I was really thinking I would give up gluten and beer to lose a few pounds, but you took off about 180 pounds in one fell swoop. Impressive.
  • lauriejayne813
    lauriejayne813 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Since you asked, I have decided not to give up something but to give something back to God. You see, I hate to exercise but I have been mis-using this body he has given me. In order to be a good steward of this blessing I have decided to give God my time and to heal his gift. I am exercising 3-5 times a week and staying on my diet. This is a great effort for me, but not as great as what he did to save my life.
  • kbitikofer
    kbitikofer Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not catholic, but I'm giving up soda and all fast food. Hopefully it'll help some.
  • smsavoy
    smsavoy Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I actually gave up a couple of things this lent season. Any sweets that start with the letter "C" for start, (cookies, candy, chocolate) and pasta. I love Pasta and gave it up a couple of years ago and lost almost 30 pounds just by cutting it out of my life. I use to eat it almost every day.

Good luck to everyone that is given up something.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    booze!
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I gave up playing video games on my "off" days of working out. It forces me to be more active and find something else to do. I'm going to actually add more days to workout since I'm not going to be sitting on the couch anymore.
  • Taitiant
    Options

@ryansgram, I was really thinking I would give up gluten and beer to lose a few pounds, but you took off about 180 pounds in one fell swoop. Impressive.

:noway: :heart: OUCH
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
  • beeka2ked
    beeka2ked Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I too am doing the Daniel fast. Although its a 21 day fast Im praying for strength to continue it throughout Lenten season.