who here worries about getting older?

Options
Cause I sure do. I'm 25 in 5 months time and i have done bugger all with my life, going from job to job. I've applied for a childcare course to start in September, but I'm not sure it's really what I want to do until I retire. My partner said I'd be good at it. But then again, what else am I gonna do! I've been thinking what do for the last 5 years. I started a make up course last year, was going to start a psychology course round about now, but cancelled it due to thinking im too dumb for it.

It's not just that what's getting me down. It's my face. I can see a lot of difference. Wrinkles appearing round the eyes. Dull grey skin. I cant go out without make up cause I look ill. I have to wear at least foundation if im popping to the shop. For work, full make up. I want to feel comfortable. My partner thinks I look better without make up. I don't know what planet he's on!

When I have kids, I don't want to pass on my insecurites to them. I was bullied at school, always being told I was ugly and it still sticks. I wish I didn't look the way I did. I look at girls in magazines and in the street, even on here, and wish I was them :(

Before I know it I'll be 35.

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    LOL

i'm 34 and my patients all the time ask me if i'm old enough to be doing my job.

guess thats what clean living does..keeps you young.
  • emmamcblain
    Options
    I'm exactly the same! Sometimes it worries me because, only being nearly 19, it's not right to be feeling unfulfilled at all, let alone all the time. D; I really don't want to get older, but there's always positives to every situation - new opportunities and experiences and all that jazz. :)
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Yes i hate being old (41) especially as the guy who just asked me out is 34 and I am worried he will find out how old I am!!!
  • chunk1691
    chunk1691 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    im 50 this year and it scares me to death how fast the last 49 years have gone, its like i blinked and my kids are grown up with kids of there own, very scarey, lol.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I do, but maybe not for the same reason.

I feel like I've done a lot with my life. I've lived through and experienced more than most my age (24), and I'm looking forward to many things in the next few years.

BUT I work a computer-based job and whilst in a few years I'll have the opportunity to be much more active, I currently sit for at least eight hours, barely moving at all. It's been on my mind lately that at 24 I'm probably well over a quarter of the way through my life, and the first quarter went by so fast and years are only seeming quicker. It does terrify me, but only because it leads to the end of my life.

I've always been an older woman stuck in a young person's body. Some would say I'm far too mature for my age, so I guess I'm kind of looking forward to reaching that age when my body fits my personality, and when others my age have settled down and started living like I have since I was a teenager.

In a few years I know I'll be happier, but for now I'm hating the office I spend eight hours of my day in, and sitting there thinking about how it's killing me slowly. In a couple of years I'll be far more active and maybe old age won't seem quite so near.
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    Since I was about five. =\

I was inconsolable the night before my twelfth birthday. =P

I wasted so much time thinking about the future.
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    I'm exactly the same! Sometimes it worries me because, only being nearly 19, it's not right to be feeling unfulfilled at all, let alone all the time. D; I really don't want to get older, but there's always positives to every situation - new opportunities and experiences and all that jazz. :)

I felt like that at your age! I said to myself I ne
    ed to do more with my life. But did I? Nope. I want to change the past but I can't grr

Emmab: go for it. You don't look your age at all!
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    im 50 this year and it scares me to death how fast the last 49 years have gone, its like i blinked and my kids are grown up with kids of there own, very scarey, lol.

No way are you 50! You're so pretty
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I am petrified. I was actually JUST having this conversation with a friend of mine. He turns 25 in a couple days and he's having a complete breakdown about it. I also had a bit of a nervous meltdown when I turned 20. It's hard thinking that you're hitting all these milestones, and what do you have to show for it?

Aging is depressing.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Well girls it's going to happen to us all- if we are lucky, so why worry?
    There's so much ,ore to life than being overly concerned about it. Get out and enjoy yourselves!!
    I had an operation go wrong a fortnight ago and they couldn't find my pulse....
    Needless to say I'm VERY HAPPY to get older....
    It beats the alternative - dying young!:wink:
  • TopazCarey
    Options
    I'm scared of getting older too. And in the gay world, 25 is basically death. So I only have a good 3 years left. lol.
  • Kymmu
    Options
    I'm scared of getting older too. And in the gay world, 25 is basically death. So I only have a good 3 years left. lol.

I think You're safe....you look like you'll age well to me!
  • TopazCarey
    Options
    There's so much ,ore to life than being overly concerned about it. Get out and enjoy yourselves!!

Omg. I'm glad you're alright. And that really puts things into perspective.

I think You're safe....you look like you'll age well to me!

Thank you! = )
  • fguillory
    Options
    I just worry i wasted my life being fat and by the time i am smaller i am gonna be too old to enjoy living
  • daniivdean
    daniivdean Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No man getting older is natural. All part of life. I am only 21 but I cannot wait to age naturally and learn more :)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    It's not the years, it's the miles.
  • hippychickuk
    hippychickuk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh I would love to be 25 again! I was so much stronger then and my back never really hurt much. I'm 43 in April this year and though it takes longer to get into shape than it did at 25, I still feel young at heart. But that's all the physical side of things.

I get what you're saying about wanting to find a direction in life and wondering how you're going to spend you're future. In the last few months, it's hit me that I've been doing what I do in my career since I was 21, that was 21 years ago! Crap! Then I think, am I really going to do this for another 21 years? Until I retire? Is this what I want to be "when I grow up?" But now what other option do I have? I can't just start over doing something else where I have no skills at all, can I? Well... maybe.. :)

It's totally normal to question where you are at in life and what you want to do with it. And guess what, you can question it again in another 5 years, and in another 10 years, and tomorrow. Get involved in something, don't worry if it's your life goal, don't worry if you're not sure if you have the skills because you will learn just through trying. Every experience is worth having. :)
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    20 years old in decimals is 18 years old in base-12. And 25 (decimal base) is 21 in base-12.
    30 is 26, 40 is 34, 50 is 42...
    http://www.unitconversion.org/unit_converter/numbers.html
    (decimal/base-12)

It does not change your biological age, but... well you realise it's just a number. It means as much as you let it.
    And it's never too late to do something great with your life.
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options

I :heart: You. :)
  • Kymmu
    Options

I :heart: You. :)

I love you too thread-stalker!!!