who here worries about getting older?

Options

Replies

• Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    ME! I am 25 and I suffer from a rare auto immune problem that makes me feel 60. If i feel 60 at the age of 25 what am i going to be like by the time i am 40?
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I'm not old, but I feel I haven't accomplished anything in life that would lead to success. I've always started things, then not finished them. I'm still 6 credits from my associates degree, 15 credits from one bachelors, 30 credits from a different bachelors. I really doubt I'll be picked up for reenlistment, so I'll be out of the Navy and nearly 32. I'm not looking forward to starting over and having to find a job in the cilivlian world. Times like this, I wish I'd done more in my 20's. On the other hand, at least I'm in shape and healthy.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I just worry i wasted my life being fat and by the time i am smaller i am gonna be too old to enjoy living
    Dont let your weight holdyou back in life!! have the confidance to be yourself! easier said than done i know.
    xxxxx

I was just thinking of all the 'fat' people who 'wasted' their lives.....those that continued to live an unhealthy life, and those that took drugs.

Poor Whitney Houston was thin as could be, had it all, and lost it:cry: Weight and age had nothing to do with it. Attitude and HEALTH.......mental and physical.......were the issues. (only used her name as example-NOT to start a debate PLEASE!)

I am sure if you look up the overweight singers, writers, actors/actresses, and other successful people, you will see that nothing was wasted (Jennifer Hudson became famous while big, and now is on a healthy journey. Oprah, Rosanne:laugh: ...ok she is not a good example.........
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options
    Please stop with the OMG horror of getting 'older', it is useless worrying about it because it's a fact of life :huh:
    For those of us shackled to a desk for 8 hours, work on changing it or deal with it and look at what you can do with the other hours. Nothing I had planned as a child has come to fruition and guess what I couldn't be more pleased. My plan was to be a doctor, no kids, just me and a couple of pets...Boring
    I turned 50 in January and allowed myself a moment of "what have I done with my life".
    Then I realised I have done the most important thing...I Have LIVED:happy:
    During my trip down the road called life, I discovered, I am strong, resilient and capable of dealing with life's issues. Do I get sad, angry, frustrated? You bet your *kitten* I do, BUT more than anything I get to smile and laugh every day and most importantly I get to love, nature, people, things and that includes me.
    So stop worrying about wrinkles (they're called laughter lines , the body sagging a little ( my doctor calls it the mummy tummy lol). Have I made big mistakes? Yep, Will I make more? Yep Will I learn from them? Maybe and maybe not...who cares.
    The adventure so far has been amazing, in June I head overseas by myself for another adventure woohoo
    What we are doing with our time here, should be the question, so go on get out there and LIVE, LAUGH and LOVE :flowerforyou:
    There is so much I want to do, I have no intention of heading to the pearly gates until I darn well ready :bigsmile: So with that in mind I'm thinking of 120 or 150 in years so at 50 I'm really only a kid still :wink:
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 30 in dec...waaaaah!!!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm terrified. I'm 30 in a couple of weeks which seems terrible to me.

I haven't got anywhere that I wanted, I still don't know what I want to do with my life, I'm nowhere near my goal weight and I recently had to move back in with my parents to pay off debts and save money to buy a house rather than rent but I don't really know if I want to buy, houses are so expensive here and then I'm stuck in the same place and I still don't know what to do. I feel like I think about it everyday.

Of course if I won the lottery I wouldn't be that bothered about getting older.
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When I was 25 I remember feeling a bit depressed about it - people kept telling me I'd lived 'a quarter of a century'. I had a child and I felt that my youth had gone.

However, since then... at 29 I had my second child, at 32 I went to university, at 36 I got my first degree, at 38 I changed my life round completely, got divorced and remarried, at 42 I got a postgrad, at 46 I got my doctorate, I'm 51 now and really enjoying my life.

I've now lived more than half a century and I wouldn't want to back to being 25 again. Look at the sorts of experiences you have to look forward to if you set out with a will to achieve them. You have most of your life ahead of you girl! And in my opinion, the better part of it :)

As for wrinkles and poor skin - if you eat a clean healthy diet and drink lots of water, get plenty of sleep and have a good cleansing, toning and moisturising regime (doesn't need to be expensive stuff) and eat lots of vegetables and fruits (which contain antioxidants to prevent aging) then your skin will improve.

My skin still looks great at 51 because I've done the above.

To answer your question - do I worry about it? No! Life is short and you only get one chance at it. So if you aren't living the life you want then it's in your power to change it. Good luck!
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    im 50 this year and it scares me to death how fast the last 49 years have gone, its like i blinked and my kids are grown up with kids of there own, very scarey, lol.

No way are you 50! You're so pretty

So 50+ and pretty are mutually exclusive - good to have that confirmed.

I'd better make the most of the next year then..:sad:

actually for me it's a big no to worrying about it at the moment... when I was 25 i was a bit of a directionless mess, convinced that appearances were everything, unable to look beneath the superficial and constantly involved in dramatic self destructive behaviour...

there are some things that are wonderful about the passage of time... I am happy (most of the time ;) and fulfilled in so many ways now... the only thing that worries me is not physically being able to do things at some point or losing my memories... every day that I'm fit and healthy and happy is a winner! :flowerforyou:
  • FauxNinja
    Options
    I don't imagine anybody wants to grow older, but considering the alternative, I will be thankful.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i haven't done much, job wise in my time on this planet. but, i feel like i've done a lot WITH my life. so, i guess it just depends on how you look at things.

i've lived a pretty clean life too. i've in my mid 30s now. and most people who know me, and meet me, assume i'm barely 30. very few people know my real age, LOL!

get older is a part of living. it happens, but you don't have to be OLD. does that make sense?? i'm still as impulsive and silly as i was in college, i'm just SMARTER about it. and i still laugh all the time and find stupid stuff funny. i make sure that no matter my age, that my heart and mind are still young!!! and fitness helps keep the body young too. my kids request all sorts of crazy things of me, like cart wheels, and being tossed in the air. i always make sure i can keep up with THEM!!

you have to get older, so, embrace it. but, put your mind to not BEING old :-)
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i met my ex husband at 19, married at 24, had babies 25-33 ( 5 of them) separated at 33 and at 36 i'm divorced, with 5 small kids, on my own. and to completely honest, it's not bad. there are so few GOOD men out there. i think often women settle because we think that's as good as it's gonna get. or out of fear of being alone. and sometimes alone is soooo nice compared to the alternative!!!

it's completely " hindsight is 20/20." i really enjoy being single. have been for almost 3 yrs now. i fill up all of my alone time with fun things to do. i don't sit and wait or waste time, or pout, or wish i was meeting a man. i get out and DO STUFF!!! even if i have to do it alone. it's quite awesome. i work out a lot, since i have the time, LOL. and i'm loving that. i have a gym membership to an awesome gym with tons of stuff, like a spa. so i get my hair done, mani/ pedis, facials, massages, etc. i swim and hang out in the hot tub. sometimes i feel like ice skating, so i go. or i want to see a movie, so i go ( though usually i do call a girlfriend for this). i do girls' nights. and since i'm not planning or attempting to meet or impress anyone i can totally be myself and have a great time. this past weekend we did girls' night at a bar. out of the 4 of us, i was the only single one. we weren't there to meet anyone or anything even close. but, the manager ended up sitting with us for the majority of the time we were there. so, i got to have a random chat with a guy from ireland.

life is what YOU make it!!! go out and grab it by the balls ;-) you can do it! you could wake up at 40 alone, but it might be YOUR choice, and you might have lived an amazing life in those 19 years :-)

I'm 21 years old, and am terrified that I am starting to approach the age of settling down, and there is no husband in sight -.-
    I worry that I'm gonna wake up 1 day in my forties, alone
  • dubw
    dubw Posts: 429
    Options
    My motto: I want to die young, at a very old age.

I had a wonderful career and many memories to look back upon, raised 4 great kids. Now, I am in my 60s and having the time of my life. I work for a health club 3 days a week for chump change, do a bunch of volunteer work, teach one college class, and take a couple of classes myself - being older is a ball. I'm smarter, free-er, and have the time to do what I want to do. I don't have to prove anything to anyone - indeed, my wish is to be struck dead by falling space junk while jogging .... on my 90th. birthday.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I would like to simply say you are absolutely beautiful.

I dont know what the insecure bullies saw but you are not ugly by any means.

As for getting older- it happens but it happens a bit easier if you can try to plan the journey. WOuld I want to be 25 again (I'm 48)? In some ways yes but in some no- in any event I cant bring the clock back so I am experiencing life as much as I can. Part of that is getting rid of this 125 pounds that turned me into a no energy housebound grump- all of that has turned around for me :) You too can have a great ride in life if you stop worrying about a wrinkle here or there.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    What's the alternative?
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I don't know.. I feel that things get better and better as the years go on and I'm enjoying life so much more. However, I'm starting to get the laugh lines around my mouth and creases on my forehead.. that ain't cool. I still feel the same as I did when I was 18, just picked up more responsibility along the way. When I hangout with my girlfirends that I've had since 3rd grade, we always joke about thinking that high school was supposed to be our "best days", and are thrilled that it wasn't the case at all.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about getting older and enjoy life... There are a lot of people out there that are worse off than you.....Maybe it''s the worrying that is making you look older... I am 56 and I don't worry about things like that. I color my hair to get rid of the gray because I am not "OLD".. My body may be 56 but I am not. I am the grandmother of 2, ages 2 months and 2 years. I get down on the floor and play, I chase the 2 year old around the kitchen, sometimes on my hands and knees.....So get out and enjoy life. Did you ever think that the way you look is what you are supposed to look like?????? Use a cream for the wrinkles and don't worry about them...
  • andygettinfitt
    Options
    LOL

i'm 34 and my patients all the time ask me if i'm old enough to be doing my job.

guess thats what clean living does..keeps you young.
    I love your ticker! (stars wars geek here)
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in numbers as far as age goes. I am not scared and actually look forward to some parts of being older. Seeing my daughters grown up with lives of their own. I know some older people who do not look their age. They take very good care of themselves. I think it's about how you care for yourself! Scared no! I'm 33:) I got plans for my 40's. Lot's of me time! My kids will be older, and I am going to enjoy life more. So bring on the years, I'm ready:)
  • walkinmydoxies
    Options
    I agree, getting older beats the alternative :smile: I'm 49 and am happy with my life. I'm actually enjoying life and having more fun, doing more things than I ever did at 25.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Oh no not 25!!! ;)

I'm going to be 35 in a few months. I don't follow a timeline. I follow my own path. Stop agendifying your life and trying to put a checklist next to everything. You cannot stop time. No one can. We all must get older. That's a part of living. That's been a part of living for every person who has come before us and that will be a part of living for every person who comes after us until they figure out how to stop the aging process.

So no. I am not worried about getting older. Worrying about getting older woudl be like worrying that the sun is coming up tomorrow. It will happen and there's nothing you can do to stop it so why worry about it.