What healthy peanut butter do you use?

Options
1235»

Replies

• ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Skippy Crunchy Peanut Butter ... per tablespoon is 100cals, 8g fat (1.5g saturated), 50mg sodium, 4g carbs, 1g fibre, 1g sugar and 3g protein

I love it!

P.S. Organic is fine, but you have to make sure you keep it stirred because the oil separates.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    For smoothies I just use PB2 because it's SO easy.

For all other food items, including baking, I've been using Smart Balance Omega-3 Natural PB. But looking to try a few almond butters too. The cashew butter sounds amazing!
  • siobhano_
    Options
    Where I live in New Zealand, we have this amazing locally made organic peanut butter. The only ingredients are local peanuts and salt. It is amazing! No sugar whatsoever, so I don't feel as bad about it :P

http://www.reallygood.co.nz/really-good-peanut-butter
  • 2Phat1
    2Phat1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    We make our own using natural peanuts and a little peanut oil. Excellent texture and no added salt or hydrogenised fats.

As healthy as natural peanuts.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It depend what country you live it... the choice is going to be different wherever you are.
    I'm in Australia and I usually buy Sanitarium no added salt or sugar PB. It doesn't taste as delicious on it's own as some of the others, but for me that's a good thing!

I'm not sure if anyone's already posted this tip - but if you buy a brand where the oil separates, store it upside down. Best PB tip ever!

Edited to add: don't get sucked into the "reduced calorie" PB mirage. There might be less calories but there has to be something replacing the fat they take out and it is usually miscellaneous starched and sugars. Better to buy an all natural brand and watch your portions.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    As for people using PB2, or any low fat peanut butter, I just have to ask, why? The fat is the healthiest part of the peanut and peanut butter. It's a great source of healthy fats that we need. Full fat, full calorie peanut butter is 1000x's healthier than any powder or low fat processed junk.

Mostly I use Laura Scudders unsalted, but I do keep pb2 around for when I want the pb flavor but not all the cals. Like in a protein shake or mixed in with greek yogurt. Although I haven't used it in a couple months. Since I started training for a half marathon, I usually have plenty of cals in my day for the real stuff.
  • allisonmrichard
    allisonmrichard Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I swear by Naturally More. The serving size is two tablespoons but I only need one on the mornings where I have an English muffin for breakfast. So good. <3
  • MissFluffyBottoms
    Options
    Smart Balance.