Women lifters.....

Options

Replies

• margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hehe... That's what I read when I first saw this. And was hoping to see all the amazing weights, but then realized i am a goober :P
    Post yours! Post yours! I love seeing stats on this :) It's always so inspiring!

lol! ok, ok, since you asked :)

Notes: I took a 1.5 months off from lifting at Christmas time and into the new year due to ingury. And I'm light, so I also included my stats as compared to my body weight (BW) to get abetter idea. Here are my most recent numbers...

Squats: 125x6 , C1RM = 150, 1.6 times BW
    Front squat: 75x12, C1RM = 105, 1.1 times BW
    SL Deadlifts: 75x12, C1RM = 105, 1.1 times BW
    Chest Press: 90X1, C1RM = 90, .95 times BW
    OH Press: 45x10, C1RM= 60, .63 times BW
    DL: 125x8, C1RM = 155, 1.6 times BW

anything I'm forgetting???
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    i have a question :-)

when you say "lifting" do you mean just working with free weights/ dumbbells type lifting? or are you including machines? i just googled the new rules and it says for women to " put down the barbie weights." what exactly does that mean??

Women typically get 5lb weights and do a bazillion reps. Work smarter not longer. Life heavy weigths (weights you can only do ~10 reps with).

There is a lot of good information in this thread about the misnomer of "toning" and looking "long and lean" http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/499129-can-you-reduce-the-size-of-muscles

I'm a NROL4W girl too!
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I agree with the above poster.. Jamie Eason 12 week live fit trainer is excellent. I have been through it twice now. I just switched up and am doing TNation workout. It comes from the same guy who helped Jamie Eason write her program. Its just more intense and incorporates deadlifts, squats.. and lots of them..

Deadlift- 135lb
    squat- 135- on a great day... like badger does.. *kitten* to grass!

Those are the only ones I really count at the moments. We just started this Monday! Im so excited about it!
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Bumping. Loving this!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

when you say "lifting" do you mean just working with free weights/ dumbbells type lifting? or are you including machines? i just googled the new rules and it says for women to " put down the barbie weights." what exactly does that mean??

Machines are discouraged because they don't teach your muscle groups to work in unison, rather in isolation. You also aren't developing your core strength, as you would doing a basic compound lift like the squat with an olympic barbell. Also the idea is you want to train your body to lift, pull, push in a manner that is useful for every day, rather than training in unnatural movements that you will never use in real life.

Barbie weights are the 2,3,5,8,10 lb dumbells that will get you nowhere fast. In the book he explains the rationale well.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster.. Jamie Eason 12 week live fit trainer is excellent. I have been through it twice now. I just switched up and am doing TNation workout. It comes from the same guy who helped Jamie Eason write her program. Its just more intense and incorporates deadlifts, squats.. and lots of them..

Deadlift- 135lb

Those are the only ones I really count at the moments. We just started this Monday! Im so excited about it!

I love TNation's instructional vids on youtube going over technique. I also love squat rx on youtube.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    so, using machines is ok? as long as the weight is high and reps are low?

i don't hit the gym much anymore, but i used to make sure i always did weights and cardio. but, i used the machines and NEVER 5 lbs, LOL!! i know i would set weights at 70+ and for the leg press it was always in the high 100s. but, i never thought much of it. i figured that's how all women worked out if they did any kind of weight regimen.

i stated in college and did whatever my boyfriend ( now ex husband) told me to do. he was/ is a work out fanatic. from the day i met him, 2 hrs in the gym daily, MINIMUM. so, i just followed him around and did what he said to do, LOL!!!!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    ok, gotcha! that makes sense :-)
    thanks!

Machines are discouraged because they don't teach your muscle groups to work in unison, rather in isolation. You also aren't developing your core strength, as you would doing a basic compound lift like the squat with an olympic barbell. Also the idea is you want to train your body to lift, pull, push in a manner that is useful for every day, rather than training in unnatural movements that you will never use in real life.

Barbie weights are the 2,3,5,8,10 lb dumbells that will get you nowhere fast. In the book he explains the rationale well.
  • qkidney
    qkidney Posts: 258
    Options
    Bump for later - I'm going to start lifting soon!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. SERIOUS bump.

Thank you, ladies... :flowerforyou:
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Just started lifting again about a month and a half ago. My coaches coordinate all my workouts.

Back Squat: 125lbs
    Deadlift: 175lbs
    Press: 55lbs

Use free weights as much as possible as long as you can do it safely. If you can't use the bar, a lot of exercises have a dumb bell form too until you can get up to using a bar.

And the Smith machine is your enemy. It teaches horrible form and doesn't work as many muscles as just squatting from a rack.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options

Deadlift- 135lb

I love TNation's instructional vids on youtube going over technique. I also love squat rx on youtube.

You are the first person I have come across that HAS heard of this! Is the guys voice amazing! HAHAHA!!
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am still a total newb and working with dumbbells. I have from 3-15 pounders though I am about to get some heavier stuff if I can find it for decent on CL. Squats/deadlifts are 30 pounds but I really need more than that, probably 50 for squats and maybe 75/80 for deadlifts.

I do 3 sets of 10 of everything (except calf-raises are 3 sets of 20).

I do weights 3x a week and do HIIT 3 days...with 1 day of rest.

I follow The Bodysculpting Bible for Women...but I am looking into the NROL soon. First I really need to get a good set of weights.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

This is an incredible plan. It's a 12 week program, that slowly escalates. I highly recommend it. I have been through the whole program, and am doing a second round now. I started from phase 2 the second time, because the first 4 weeks were a little too easy by the time I had gotten through the program. I have never been so strong, and see definition I never thought I would! I have been doing weight lifting for a while, but I love to have a full plan at the gym, I work so much harder, and it takes out the guess work when I'm there making me much more focused.

Yessss, this is what I'm doing! I have no results to show for it as I'm only on week 1, day 3. But let me tell you, my muscles are certainly hurting! The site has printable workouts so you can record your results and has videos posted for the exercises you are unsure of!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 17 and plays travel fastpitch softball, she goes to the gym with me sometimes and works out with strength coach at school. She is 5'6" 125 lb. Her lifts are and I probably forgot some:

Bench 135 lb. max
    Squats 255 lb. for 2 reps
    Wide grip pull ups for sets of 10
    Barbell curls 40 lbs sets of 10
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    bump :yawn:
  • osorio1
    Options
    Bump
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until I can start lifting again! Thanks for all the great info gals! :flowerforyou:
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    What is the difference between a "squatting rack" and a "Smith Machine"
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    Bump
    Want to find this later. I'm doing bis, tris, chest and back + abs/core 3x a week right now, 8RMx3 for each exercise. I am training for my first half marathon in a few weeks and with working full time and teaching a couple nights a week at the gym (Spin), I can't get more than 3 lifting days in and can't really focus on extra leg work on running recovery days. I am going to check out that group, though. Great post!