Women lifters.....

Options

Replies

• rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Here's one other question...kinda dumb I guess, but do you workout with someone for all this lifting? I find I'd really like to have a permanent spotter so I can push myself more. But, omg, I'm scared to death to ask one of the guys standing around to help. Don't want to bother them...:blushing:

Most guys think that a woman who lifts is amazing so I'm sure they wouldn't think you were bothering them.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie so my weights aren't that impressive.

Squat: 45
    Deadlift: 60
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    I agree with the above poster.. Jamie Eason 12 week live fit trainer is excellent. I have been through it twice now. I just switched up and am doing TNation workout. It comes from the same guy who helped Jamie Eason write her program. Its just more intense and incorporates deadlifts, squats.. and lots of them..

Deadlift- 135lb
    squat- 135- on a great day... like badger does.. *kitten* to grass!

Those are the only ones I really count at the moments. We just started this Monday! Im so excited about it!

Which one are you doing? I pulled up the website and saw there were a few... I'm very interested! :)
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options

That is where I am at now. Just started too. But guess what? Its a start and its further then we were before we started right? Before we know it, ours will be up there too:bigsmile:
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    Thanks for responding. I get it now. I use the rack. Just didn't know a machine like that exsisted. Thank you for the help.

Perfect! You were already doing it the right way! Good job!

Well thank you! Sounds like your doing awesome! Way to go!
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    What is the difference between a "squatting rack" and a "Smith Machine"

Squat rack, or preferrably a power cage is just that, a rack or "cage" where you can load your weights at chest level, lift them off the rack, do your squats freely then put them back on the rack. You need this if you are using a barbell. The cage has lower horizontal bars that you set below where the bar would be on your lowest (*kitten* to grass) squat, so if you can't get back up you can put it down on the bars.

A smith machine, aka the devil, has a bar in a locked linear position, up and down, sometimes on a slant, which does not allow you to develop balance, core stability and forces you into an unnatural squat position.

Thanks for responding. I get it now. I use the rack. Just didn't know a machine like that exsisted. Thank you for the help.

Sorry, I didn't realize there were 13 other people answering your question at the same time. I think your question was very helpful to others though, who might tend to use the smith and/or otherwise unfamiliar with the equipment. My previous gym had only a smith and no squat rack.

Oh no worries! Thank you for answering. Good luck on your journey, sounds like you have it down pat and I wish you the best of luck!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

These are the same weights I started at 4 months ago. You'll go up quick!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Here's one other question...kinda dumb I guess, but do you workout with someone for all this lifting? I find I'd really like to have a permanent spotter so I can push myself more. But, omg, I'm scared to death to ask one of the guys standing around to help. Don't want to bother them...:blushing:

Half the time I go with my bf, who always spots me on bench (I don't need a spotter for anything else as the squat rack has those bar things for safety)
    When he works late though and I have to alone and do bench, I usually just do 5kg less than normal and don't train to failure. I have asked a guy at the gym for a spot before but only because we talk to him regularly, but he's hardly ever there at the same time as me :( and I was way to shy to ask anyone else.

On Monday just gone though I really wanted to bench my regular weight, and guy I speak to wasn't there, so I asked a guy I see often (but never speak to) on the bench next to me if I could have a spot. He was happy to spot me, and asked what I was aiming for :D I felt so happy I'd asked someone finally, and did well that set.

Now I'm thinking, just get out there and ask. Once you've got over it and asked somebody once, you'll feel more relaxed about it. Just don't ask them in the middle of a set, or if they're busy spotting someone else! haha
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    double post
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

This is an incredible plan. It's a 12 week program, that slowly escalates. I highly recommend it. I have been through the whole program, and am doing a second round now. I started from phase 2 the second time, because the first 4 weeks were a little too easy by the time I had gotten through the program. I have never been so strong, and see definition I never thought I would! I have been doing weight lifting for a while, but I love to have a full plan at the gym, I work so much harder, and it takes out the guess work when I'm there making me much more focused.
    I started with LiveFit, and loved it. Definitely got me comfortable around the "big boys"
    Now I'm doing NROL4W and I just walk into the free weights like I own them. Thankfully none of the guys in my gym really care. Most of them actually smile and nod. Sure I got a few strange looks when I started LiveFit, but since I've been lifting for about 6 months now it's no big thing.

Just jump in there and get going. Don't worry about what people around you think. You are in the gym busting your butt, that's all you need to worry about :)
  • thunderbolt37
    Options
    I borrow workouts and modify them.

Here's my leg (plyometric) & cardio circuit:
    BW Squats superset with Jump Squats, seated machine crunches; 1/4 mi sprint 8.3 or higher on treadmill (3 sets)
    Lunges superset Jump Lunges, Stability Ball Crunches 1/4 mi sprint (3 sets)
    Deadlifts (35-45lb DBs) superset reverse lunges (no weight), 1/4 mi sprint (3 sets)
    Leg Extensions superset KickBacks, 1/4 mi sprint (3 sets)

Here's my arm routine:

12 or 15lb DBs for all
    Skull Crushers 4 sets 15rep
    Pop Pushups 4 sets 10 rep
    DB curls 4 sets 15 reps
    Bench Dips 4 sets 10
    Hammer Curls 4 sets 10
    Laying Cable (sub resistance bands) Curls 3 sets 15
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options

I would just find someone who is as interested in this kind of lifting as you are, with similar schedule. If I did not have my workout partner I would not push myself near as much as I do, we hold each other accountable. If your only option is to ask a guy, just ask him. Honestly it would prob make their day to have a female ask them for help, makes them feel masculine :laugh:
  • angied80
    Options

These are the same weights I started at 4 months ago. You'll go up quick!

I think everyone started at these weights! Me as well! You will move up.. just takes time!
  • angied80
    Options
    I agree with the above poster.. Jamie Eason 12 week live fit trainer is excellent. I have been through it twice now. I just switched up and am doing TNation workout. It comes from the same guy who helped Jamie Eason write her program. Its just more intense and incorporates deadlifts, squats.. and lots of them..

Deadlift- 135lb

Those are the only ones I really count at the moments. We just started this Monday! Im so excited about it!

Which one are you doing? I pulled up the website and saw there were a few... I'm very interested! :)

Which one? The Jamie Eason live fit or the T Nation?
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    I love these type of threads! When I had a trainer I was lifting heavy and even for awhile after my trainer. This past year I slipped away a bit and now am trying to get back to lifting heavy. I am almost ashamed that I have a hard time lifting weights that I used to not have trouble with! I used to squat 100 but I can't do it anymore :( I am really trying to get back to Super Woman status :) I also would love to find some new circuits for the body! I am sick of mine!
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options

Deadlift- 135lb

The T Nation :)
  • angied80
    Options

Deadlift- 135lb

The T Nation :)

http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/2011/11-superhero/superhero-program.pdf

This is the website for the print off.. If you go to www.tnation.com ( i think) look up the superhero workout and there are videos.
  • yummygoods
    yummygoods Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started lifting about 7 weeks ago---
    First 4 weeks were a modified version of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe (google!)
    Focus was on learning the lifts, getting form right and starting with low weight adding each session , 3 sets of 5 reps.

Alternating workouts A and B for three workouts a week:

A.
    Squat
    Standing Overhead press
    deadlift
    Assisted chin up/pullup

B.
    squat
    Bench press
    bent over rows
    back extension

The workouts only took about 35 minutes, which was good for a start. Once I was comfortable with the lifts, I wanted more.
    So I recently switched to a 2 day split of Upper body 2x a week and Lower Body 2x a week. (some are just bodyweight but I'll list them anyways!)

Lower:
    -squat (started in January with just the 45 lb bar to get form, now up to 95lb, 3 sets of 8)
    -deadlift (started with 65 lbs to get form, now up to 125, 3x8)
    -walking lunges with 10lb dbs 3x10 (so hard!)
    -single leg squat, bodyweight. 3 sets of 10 each leg (just started these)
    -step ups, bodyweight, 3 sets of 10 each leg (just started these, will start adding db's to this soon)

Upper:
    -Bench Press (when I started I couldn't even lift the 45lb bar once! I used DBs to work up to it, now I am doing 50 lbs 3x8)
    -Standing Overhead press (again, at first I couldn't do the bar, now am up to using the bar but I need to use a little jump/push still to get it up, 3x8)
    -assisted pullups/chinups (started with 85 lbs of assistance, now using 70 lbs, 3x8)
    -bent over barbell row (couldn't do the 45 lb bar at first, used DBs to work up to it. now up to 3x12, underhand grip)
    -incline Bench press-(just started these, working with the 45lb bar, 3x8)
    -assisted dips (just started these, 80lbs assistance, 3x8)
    -plank rows with 8lb db's for core, just started these, will up weight next time, 3 sets of 12.

--- back extension for fun on either day.

These workouts now take between 45-60 minutes.

I love seeing the plates or reps increase! It really keeps me motivated, especially when other numbers take longer to move, if ya know what I mean.
  • jessie_rose24
    Options
    I have posted this write up about Strong Lifts 5x5 a couple times... it's a great program for beginners and worth a look! It's always awesome to see Women getting into heavy lifting!

Ahhhh Strong Lifts... I love this program because I think it's perfect for someone who is new to lifting to really see some good results. I have been lifting for 5 years now and every so often I will do a strength cycle based completely on the 5x5 protocol and always see a gain of some sort.

I just finished a SL cycle at the end of December and I checked my PR's over the last couple weeks.

Stats Before:
    HT: 5'8''
    WT: 191#

My PR prior to starting:
    BS: 175#
    SP: 105#
    DL: 275#
    BP: 130#
    PC: 145# (I don't really like barbell rows so I only do them for the first 2 weeks then I switch to Power Cleans, if you are unfamiliar with this exercise, I reccommend sticking with the rows)

Stats After:

HT: 5'8''
    WT: 168#

My PR after:
    BS: 245#
    SP: 140#
    DL: 325#
    BP: 165#
    PC: 180#

Please keep in mind that I have been lifting for a while.

That being said, I think 5x5 is a great way to get into lifting, especially for women as it emphasies form and technique for the basic "big 5" lifts. You will gain strength, you will gain muscle, you will lose fat and you will feel like you are eating like a horse! However you will be using every single calorie that you put in your body and continue burning long after you have left the gym. The best advice I can give you is go on the strong lifts website, check out the videos on form, look up videos by mark rippetoe or mike burgener or louie simmons or Christine Beauchamp (little powerhouse female lifter) and LEARN the proper form first.

Squats- ALWAYS below parallel, best to start with high bar as low bar might be uncomfortable for new lifters and please for the love of cookies DONT USE THE SMITH MACHINE!!! It is one of the most UNNATURAL movements you can do with your body, when I see people using it I just want to cringe at what they are doing to their knees! Also you will create a gross muscle imbalance as the Smith Machine only strengthens (albeit not as much as free barbell) your major muscle groups while ignoring completely the supporting muscles. You will find that your lifts will dramatically decline if you have been Smithing it for a while then switch to loaded barbell.
    Press- Please no bend in the knees to help the weight up... it's a shoulder press not a push press.
    Deadlift- for the love of your vertebre, make sure you learn how to BREATHE properly before you attempt any big weight, look up valsalva breathing and learn the proper stance.
    Bench- Yes there is a right way to Bench, watch videos by the people above, not some random dude on You Tube...chances are they are doing it wrong.
    Row- core tight, core tight, core tight, oh and did i mention, core tight!
    Power Clean- again I will stress not to attempt this movement unless you are familiar with it, or have exposure to olympic lifting. The goal of the 5x5 is to get stronger not hurt yourself.

The best way to get started is to research first, spend some time lurking on the strong lifts boards, catalyst athletics has great lifting resources and if possible go to a gym that has a coach that is trained to TEACH power/olympic lifts, just because a trainer "does" the lifts doesn't make them qualified to TEACH the lifts to an inexperienced or new lifter.

Start slow, learn the way your body feels when you have correct form and how it feels when you are doing something incorrectly. You will be sore, you need to rest on off days after about week 4 but can still do something like rowing or light calisthenics. You will eat more food than you ever thought possible, yet if you choose the right kinds of food, your body will transform. You will get an *kitten*, thick legs and a strong back...good luck finding jeans :) ( Can you say GAP)

Most important of all...STICK WITH THE PROGRAM...do it as is, start low...the empty bar might feel to light so you might be tempted to pile on more weight... DONT DO IT! There is an app on the iphone that will track your SL workouts...when I do a cycle I always start with an empty bar because even though I know I can do more, it allows me time to reinforce the correct movements and build to a greater max load.

If anyone has any questions about the program, please ask, I will do what I can to help get you started. I am by no means an expert, but I can try to answer alot of the questions beginners ask ( I was there once too)! Good Luck and get strong!!