Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Might be about time for some hummus!! :tongue:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I bought more roasted red pepper today...

I need to try new flavors but I just cannot go without my roasted red pepper!! :laugh:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    How many cals in the plain hummus. i used to buy the big tubs at sams club. i couldn't leave it alone. at that time i wasn't too concerned about cals, but i thought it was alot!!??:huh:
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    How do you make your own Tahini? Anybody know? Thanks in advance.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    How do you make your own Tahini? Anybody know? Thanks in advance.

Tahini is a Middle Eastern pantry essential. It is the foundation for amny Middle Eastern recipes like hummus and baba ghanoush.

Tahini can be prepared homemade or purchased at a Middle Eastern grocer in a can. It is called tahini or tahina, depending on the region.

Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
    5 cups sesame seeds
    1 1/2 cups olive oil or vegetable oil

Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 350. Toast sesame seeds for 5-10 minutes, shaking the seeds frequently with a spatula. Do not allow to brown. Cool for 20 minutes.

Pour sesame seeds into food processor and add oil. Blend for 2 minutes. Check for consistency. The goal is a thick, yet pourable texture. Add more oil and blend until desired consistency.

Yield: 4 cups
  • csingleton24
    Options
    Thanks so much! I can't find tahini here in the regular grocery stores (in Hawaii we are quite low on things other than poi and poke!)...LOL. They just opened a Whole Foods this year but it's a ways from me...I barely get to go there :cry: I miss do miss some REAL food. I really loved Trader Joe's hummus, but alas, no TJ's here either. I even went to the commissary today to look for Atheno's hummus and I couldn't even find that! Maybe I was looking in the wrong area. There is ONE place I know that has the Atheno's spicy red pepper hummus, so I try to get it when I go there.

I miss the "real world" sometimes... :cry: ha ha.

Thanks again for the tahini recipe!
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    I have a recipe that doesn't use tahini if you're interested! Oh, and poi? *barf* That stuff is nasty.

http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Appetizers-Snacks/Classic-Hummus.aspx

I follow that one, but add stuff to it, add extra garlic, etc...but that's the base. HTH!
  • csingleton24
    Options
    Thanks I printed the recipe for the non tahini hummus. I already roasted some bell peppers this morning so I am going to try to make my own spicy red pepper hummus with the recipe.

Thanks again!
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Thanks I printed the recipe for the non tahini hummus. I already roasted some bell peppers this morning so I am going to try to make my own spicy red pepper hummus with the recipe.

Thanks again!

Oh, you're welcome! I hope it works out for you!
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    I think I'll roast some garlic and make some hummus too....Tam, I'll never be able to eat it again without thinking of you :)
  • csingleton24
    Options
    Just wanted to update you on my hummus situation...I used the non tahini recipe you gave me and added 3 fresh garlic cloves instead of the powder, about 1/3 cup of roasted red peppers, and about 2 tsp of ground chipolte pepper for more spice. OMG! Yummy! I am eating it for a snack tonight with some pita bread. THANK YOU SOOOO much for the recipe! I feel complete now....LOL :blushing:
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Just wanted to update you on my hummus situation...I used the non tahini recipe you gave me and added 3 fresh garlic cloves instead of the powder, about 1/3 cup of roasted red peppers, and about 2 tsp of ground chipolte pepper for more spice. OMG! Yummy! I am eating it for a snack tonight with some pita bread. THANK YOU SOOOO much for the recipe! I feel complete now....LOL :blushing:

YUM! I always use fresh garlic, too. It's sooo tasty. Glad you loved it!

What has you living in Hawaii?
  • csingleton24
    Options
    My husband is stationed out here. I love it but I miss the little things like Trader Joes, Micheals and Joanne Fabric stores, farmers markets, etc.... I guess you can't have everything! I do get to go to the beach everyday though! :smile:
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    My husband is stationed out here. I love it but I miss the little things like Trader Joes, Micheals and Joanne Fabric stores, farmers markets, etc.... I guess you can't have everything! I do get to go to the beach everyday though! :smile:

It is beautiful there! Plus, you get pineapple with your meal at McDonalds. :laugh: We went on our honeymoon there & of all the things we saw & did...THAT is what still amazes him. LOL
  • csingleton24
    Options
    Or spam..LOL hitting Spam Jam this weekend in Waikiki...that stuff grosses me out..but I gotta at least experience Spam Jam (basically the Spam festival)!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

I live in a small town in Wisconsin and we don't have any of those stores either. And we don't have warm weather. In the summer we do have a beach but I'm sure it is nothing compared to yours.
    Enjoy your time while your there. You never know where you might end up next. And thanks to both of you for serving our county.:flowerforyou:

And on hummus, I had some for a snack today. But I need some pita's and of course it's either make my own or drive an hour. For now I'll stick to triscuts.
  • Loma
    Loma Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what Sabra does to get their hummus so creamy? My sis had some and man was it GOOD! I always make my own but my food processor must not be stong enough to completely pulverize those beans...either that or they add something. Any ideas?
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I made my egg salad sammich with hummus instead of mayo today... It was good, but I like my egg salad a little creamier, so next time, half hummus, half mayo... lol
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    ok, I broke down and bought hummus, it is gooooooood. I bought 60 pepper hummus, a bit spicey, think I may go for the roasted garlic next time.
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Yum - just checking in. I had hummus for breakfast this am with some true north pistachio crisps. It has been very enlightening reading this thread while munching my hummus. One question, csingleton24, if you're there - whats poke?

Also, thanks all you for great receipe ideas. :drinker: