Planet Fitness

Options
124»

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I love that so many people hate Planet Fitness. If everyone thought it was the greatest gym ever, if it catered to everyone, it would be entirely too crowded.

I like it for what it is. A beginner's gym. Want more? Fine. You'll have to pay more. I'm probably on the verge of "outgrowing" it, but I'm not yet willing to give up the super-low cost of PF for a better gym.

Yes, and most of them that hate it have never been members, they just comment based on what they've heard about it.

But its not what we heard, its whats listed on their website and from what the management says first hand.
  • abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I actually know someone who owns a Planet Fitness franchise and their whole purpose to make money is to cater to people who are not truly committed to being fit. They keep the price low so that people will contine to pay their membership and never go. They are not trying ti help people be healthier and improve themselves. Heck, pizza night at a fitness center? Their commercials are extremely offensive as well. Not a fan.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I actually know someone who owns a Planet Fitness franchise and their whole purpose to make money is to cater to people who are not truly committed to being fit. They keep the price low so that people will contine to pay their membership and never go. They are not trying ti help people be healthier and improve themselves. Heck, pizza night at a fitness center? Their commercials are extremely offensive as well. Not a fan.

Don't most gyms bank on the fact that people will sign up for a year or more and then not use the facilities? PF lets you quit whenever you want.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Maybe Im spoiled because the PF here in NYC is 24/7 3 stories (an express/weights floor, a cardio floor and a hard core weights floor out of everyone's way) comes with classes (choose between class of 5 or class of 20) - there is tanning, massage, red light therapy, 12 free weight areas scattered in various areas, everything is techno-advanced and guys and girls are equals.

Ooooh....i go to a PF in NJ but i'm a black card member....i also work in NYC so going to the NYC one might not be a problem. Hmmmm.....

*I should add that the one by me (ok it's 15 minutes...but it's the closest) is kinda crummy. Half the weight machines are broken and really the only purpose it serves is cardio. I'm looking for a bit more than cardio....

oh yeah Im a black card member too- you could totally mix up your workout on occasion by going to the one in Manhattan or the Duffield one in Brooklyn- fun stuff!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Want more? Fine. You'll have to pay more. I'm probably on the verge of "outgrowing" it, but I'm not yet willing to give up the super-low cost of PF for a better gym.

That's the thing. The one I went to had decent equipment, they had squat racks and bench presses, and for $10 it would've been a great deal. EXCEPT they basically told me "your goals don't matter, you can't do that." If they would just piss off and leave their members alone (unless they're about to hurt themselves of course) then I think it would be great, and hell, I would join in addition to my normal gym.
  • stephsergi
    Options
    I've been a member at PF since June and love it. I am a black card member and for $20 a month I get to bring a guest as many times as I want, unlimited fitness training, tanning and massage chairs (though I never used those). The one I go to is open 24 hours Monday-Thursday which is awesome because I am a college student and usually don't get out of class until 7 or 8pm. It is pretty basic as far as machines go but I don't mind. They also offer free meetings with personal trainers who will actually sit down with you and design a workout routine that fits your needs and schedule.

The one thing I don't like is the fact that the PFs in Connecticut don't offer any classes. They have these sessions that you can sign up for like "Abs" or "Arms", etc where they just show you how to use certain weight machines that work out that particular area of your body. I would love it if they offered Zumba or Spin classes but for $20 a month, I really can't complain.
  • RudeBoi901
    Options
    No Sauna? No thanks, Thanks for the info people greatly appreciated.