"Loosing" vs. "Losing" - read & save my sanity!

Options
HeidiRene
HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
My grammar isn't perfect but if weight loss is your journey make this little "note to self" - "loose" is when your clothes are baggy b/c you have lost weight. "lose" is when there was a nasty, ugly pound of dimpled fat on your *kitten* and now it's gone. THEREFORE "losing" weight is what you are doing b/c "loosing" is not a word! :-)

What is ur silly grammar pet peeve? Maybe it's people like me that take poetic license with punctuation or shorten "you are" to "ur." Haha! BTW- I CAN do proper grammar for academic papers. I just think as long as grammar is sensical, when it comes to informal setting like social websites, then it is all good with me. However, I used to teach Oral Comm at a University and I was blown away by the complete grammar train wrecks that were otherwise known as emails that my students would send to me. These were college students and some messages didn't even make sense. Sad. I am sure some will think it's fun to make fun of my grammar and I will probably think your funny but when some yahoo tries to attack me b/c my grammar on this post isn't academic standard I will know you missed the point. :-) But, it's all good!

A few of my other silly grammar peeves include (but are not limited to):
-"alot" it's not a word folks!
-when people put apostrophes after a # before the "S" to make something plural -it's plural not possesive
-when people use "to" when they mean "too"

Replies

• Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Personally I think its just the way the English language is evolving. If you read newspapers from 100 years back, the language used then has changed a lot. As forms of communication change, with the advent of text messaging, twittter, email etc, the written word is probably evolving faster than it ever has. Words and phrases that were once only common in certain areas have become global, words take different meanings, others are used less often. I don't get why people get upset about grammar and spelling. To me, its just a form of snobbery. As long as I can understand what they are trying to say, I'm good with that. Not everyone is great at putting words down on paper, some people may find it difficult to read and write, so pulling them up on it may make them less likely to post, because they don't want someone nit picking over an out of place apostrophe, or a misspelled word.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    :sad:

you should use the search option, you will see several other grammar nazis complaining about the same thing...

:yawn:
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Personally I think its just the way the English language is evolving. If you read newspapers from 100 years back, the language used then has changed a lot. As forms of communication change, with the advent of text messaging, twittter, email etc, the written word is probably evolving faster than it ever has. Words and phrases that were once only common in certain areas have become global, words take different meanings, others are used less often. I don't get why people get upset about grammar and spelling. To me, its just a form of snobbery. As long as I can understand what they are trying to say, I'm good with that. Not everyone is great at putting words down on paper, some people may find it difficult to read and write, so pulling them up on it may make them less likely to post, because they don't want someone nit picking over an out of place apostrophe, or a misspelled word.

Very well said! I like you.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your *kitten* and knowing you're *kitten*.
  • xtinalovexo
    Options
    PEOPLES pisses me off!

And MONIES.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The loose thing makes me cringe so much and I don't even have good grammar myself.
    I say monies, sorry christinalove :)
  • xtinalovexo
    Options
    as long as you know that monies is not a real word.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I picked up the word monies from economics and finance textbooks. It is also in real dictionaries so apparently it is a real word. Why would you say it isn't? Just not common outside of the world of finance most likely.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    they tot me in skool that its "loose moose". i be knowing lotz of uther smart things to!
  • onewhodiets
    onewhodiets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've noted the incorrect use of loose and lose also. I think it would be great if people would use them correctly; the world would be a much better place - LOL. And please don't call those of us who feel this way "grammar nazis". You can see that's not true, because I started a sentence with the word 'and'.
  • xtinalovexo
    Options
    money is already plural. it is a plural noun.

one would not say "I have 1 money." or "I have 2 monies."
  • xtinalovexo
    Options
    I've noted the incorrect use of loose and lose also. I think it would be great if people would use them correctly; the world would be a much better place - LOL. And please don't call those of us who feel this way "grammar nazis". You can see that's not true, because I started a sentence with the word 'and'.

I am only referencing the post called "How many other grammar nazis out there like myself?" People already refer to themselves as grammar nazis.
  • BOC57
    BOC57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your *kitten* and knowing you're *kitten*.

LOL! Good one!

Lose and Loose is an annoyance. On a diet website it becomes a constant annoyance. I know I have some annoying grammatical habits, but since they don't annoy me, I couldn't begin to tell you what they are.
  • RDalton84
    Options
    The "lose" "loose" thing is super annoying but for me the two worst offenses are:

there, their, they're

your, you're

I work for a community college and it is sad to see how many college level students truly have no idea what the difference is between them.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I will probably think your funny but when some yahoo tries to attack me b/c my grammar on this post isn't academic standard I will know you missed the point. :-)

when people use your instead of you're
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I just think as long as grammar is sensical, when it comes to informal setting like social websites, then it is all good with me.
    Then...why are you complaining? :huh:
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I will probably think your funny but when some yahoo tries to attack me b/c my grammar on this post isn't academic standard I will know you missed the point. :-)

What's the point in attacking other people for their bad grammar & then telling them not to attack you for your bad grammar (which you have displayed on this post)?
    Ridiculous & petty.
    Some people have learning difficulties, you never know.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    How very entertaining seeing you lot across the pond debating grammar when you can't spell favour, colour and many more! :laugh: