"Loosing" vs. "Losing" - read & save my sanity!

Options

Replies

• titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you, so, so much for posting this.

I wish the English language were treated with more respect. So many people don't realize how its incorrect usage can affect their opportunities in life, especially when applying for a job, mortgage, spouse (lol). People judge by first impressions and after your appearance, the way you speak (write) is the next thing that they notice.

Keep fighting the good fight. Defend the art of speaking well!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    polls_grammartimegi7_3238_970842_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Its good to help.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    How very entertaining seeing you lot across the pond debating grammar when you can't spell favour, colour and many more! :laugh:

I'm from the UK & I have to disagree with this, American English & the English Language have their differences because they are, whadda ya know, different!
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    They're, there, their.

Your, you're.

Then, than.

General lack of punctuation.

Text speak.. Except for "lol" as it's a generic happy phrase.

Lack of capitals at the beginning of sentences, and lack of capitals for words like "I"

Lack of apostrophes.

Stationary, stationery.

Specific, Pacific.

Bad spelling overall.

I am a grammar nerd and spend most time correcting people.

I'm sure there are many, many more!
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Post # 502,254 on the subject,I am SURE by post # 502,255 people will start spelling it right
  • paigemarie93
    Options
    Also, I'm pretty sure grammar posts are against the forum rules?
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Monies is a real word.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/monies

I do not like when people use loose in place of lose. I try to take it as a typing error until I see it four times in the same post.
    :grumble:

It's not that I'm a grammar Nazi, I just never thought I was good at grammar, so if I catch it, it must be real bad. I guess I'm not as bad as I thought.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Lets-Eat-Grandma.jpg

Note: Not one period at the end of either sentence. Irony.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    How very entertaining seeing you lot across the pond debating grammar when you can't spell favour, colour and many more! :laugh:

I'm from the UK & I have to disagree with this, American English & the English Language have their differences because they are, whadda ya know, different!

Lighten up......the smiley after the comment was intended to show I was joking!!!!
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    To me, its just a form of snobbery. As long as I can understand what they are trying to say, I'm good with that.

Ur rght, y shld i bothr iff peeps unnerstnd?
  • paigemarie93
    Options

Lighten up......the smiley after the comment was intended to show I was joking!!!!
    A little note: Sarcasm does not translate well over the internet.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My grammar isn't perfect but if weight loss is your journey make this little "note to self" - "loose" is when your clothes are baggy b/c you have lost weight. "lose" is when there was a nasty, ugly pound of dimpled fat on your *kitten* and now it's gone. THEREFORE "losing" weight is what you are doing b/c "loosing" is not a word! :-)

What is ur silly grammar pet peeve? Maybe it's people like me that take poetic license with punctuation or shorten "you are" to "ur." Haha! BTW- I CAN do proper grammar for academic papers. I just think as long as grammar is sensical, when it comes to informal setting like social websites, then it is all good with me. However, I used to teach Oral Comm at a University and I was blown away by the complete grammar train wrecks that were otherwise known as emails that my students would send to me. These were college students and some messages didn't even make sense. Sad. I am sure some will think it's fun to make fun of my grammar and I will probably think your funny but when some yahoo tries to attack me b/c my grammar on this post isn't academic standard I will know you missed the point. :-) But, it's all good!

A few of my other silly grammar peeves include (but are not limited to):
    -"alot" it's not a word folks!
    -when people put apostrophes after a # before the "S" to make something plural -it's plural not possesive
    -when people use "to" when they mean "too"

Yep drives me nuts too!! Thanks for speaking out.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    To me, its just a form of snobbery. As long as I can understand what they are trying to say, I'm good with that.

Ur rght, y shld i bothr iff peeps unnerstnd?

That took me a while to translate........ :huh:
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    they tot me in skool that its "loose moose". i be knowing lotz of uther smart things to!

I cringed just reading this!!!
  • CocoaBeautiful78
    Options
    Personally I think its just the way the English language is evolving. If you read newspapers from 100 years back, the language used then has changed a lot. As forms of communication change, with the advent of text messaging, twittter, email etc, the written word is probably evolving faster than it ever has. Words and phrases that were once only common in certain areas have become global, words take different meanings, others are used less often. I don't get why people get upset about grammar and spelling. To me, its just a form of snobbery. As long as I can understand what they are trying to say, I'm good with that. Not everyone is great at putting words down on paper, some people may find it difficult to read and write, so pulling them up on it may make them less likely to post, because they don't want someone nit picking over an out of place apostrophe, or a misspelled word.

I have to agree with this. It may take reading it over a few times, but you get the point don't you? It's TOTALLY a form of snobbery....ESPECIALLY when it's announced like this and everyone goes in. If you don't like it just skip over the post OR stay off the message boards altogether and save your own sanity! I would hate for you to "loose" it!
  • alyssaanagram
    Options
    "Let's eat, Grandma!" vs. "Let's eat Grandma!"

Grammar...it saves lives.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm a writer. I tend to nit pick a lot of things (please note A LOT...two words) But...your and you're. It KILLS me.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    As long as we are not buying larger clothes, I don't see where "loosing" is a bad thing. As for me, I'll take both...
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I understand that sometimes we type too fast and don't proof read or we are on our phones and we mis-type but when it is over and over and over again in a post it is ridiculous!!!

I don't care what socially acceptable language is in texting and stuff. If you are going to write something try to make it be at least halfway presentable. Texting is so prevalent that students at all grade levels, including college, are including text language in homework papers. That is crazy!!!

I see nothing wrong with wanting to have people sound reasonable in posts and to have words that are spelled right. Socially acceptable doesn't always mean right!!!

That being said.....I hate the "their, they're and there" , lose and loose, and spelling like texting. LOL and OMG don't bother me but stuff like "wut"....come on!!!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 'loosing' drives me a bit nuts too. :laugh:

I try not to be a grammar nazi if it's still coherent, but if it's really bad I just tend to write the poster off as either dumb or lazy. I understand there are other reasons for bad grammar and spelling, but for the most part you can usually chalk it up to one of those.