"Loosing" vs. "Losing" - read & save my sanity!

Options

Replies

• Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    money is already plural. it is a plural noun.

one would not say "I have 1 money." or "I have 2 monies."

monies is a real word, mostly used in law firm language (source: the law firm i work for...)

you would NOT say "I have two monies'... An example would more be "They are able to collect monies from you", which can be not just cash money, but monetary items :)

My pet peeve in the US (I am actually a foreigner myself and am sure I make mistakes): when ei and ie is messed up !!! ARGHHH
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Monies and peoples are both word. Not my favorite either but mostly because I forget the proper way to use them, but are still both words, so I get why you don't like them if others are using them incorrectly.

I'm no English major or "grammar nazi" but I do have pet peeves

I like in NC and I hate when people say "Hey, John was looking you" or "Oh there's my key, I was looking it" instead of FOR you or FOR it. It just sounds so uneducated.

Improper use of their, there, and they're.

I'm also a HUGE fan of the serial comma (aka Oxford or Harvard comma) and dislike when others don't use it.

Ex. I went to the store to bread, eggs, and milk.
    VS I went to the store to get bread, eggs and milk.
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wait, loosing isn't a word?
    But what if my fat has turned into some sort of sci-fi monster and I'm unleashing it on an unsuspecting populace? :smile:

I just choose to interpret things with the words as spelled and giggle about it.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    How very entertaining seeing you lot across the pond debating grammar when you can't spell favour, colour and many more! :laugh:

I'm from the UK & I have to disagree with this, American English & the English Language have their differences because they are, whadda ya know, different!

Lighten up......the smiley after the comment was intended to show I was joking!!!!
    A little note: Sarcasm does not translate well over the internet.

No, but superciliousness translates just fine...
  • 1DEH
    1DEH Posts: 23
    Options
    How very entertaining seeing you lot across the pond debating grammar when you can't spell favour, colour and many more! :laugh:
    [/quote]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    My Personal hate is how yoghurt has become yogurt...

I do like that when typing that, my browser wants to correct 'yogurt' to 'yoghurt' though :)
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I never EVER typed "loosing" until I started reading forums on this site. it's invaded my brain! Get it OUT.
  • 1DEH
    1DEH Posts: 23
    Options

• suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Search function. Please use it and save my sanity.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Spell Check has made me stoopid.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is when people type "ur" instead of taking the half a second to type two or three more letters to complete a real word.

What's funny is that you think this will change anything.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Something I've only come across since moving to NC is people that think "license" (as in driver's license) is plural because it ends with an "s" sound:

"May I see your driver's license?"

"Hold on, I'll get them."

"What?"
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Axed for asked.... drives me nuts. also, when people mix up their, there, and they're; too, two, and to; buy, bye, and by....
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

I'm from the UK & I have to disagree with this, American English & the English Language have their differences because they are, whadda ya know, different!

Lighten up......the smiley after the comment was intended to show I was joking!!!!
    A little note: Sarcasm does not translate well over the internet.

No, but superciliousness translates just fine...

I'm not being arrogant at all, so no, it obviously doesn't translate "just fine".
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'll keep reading and reserve judgement as long as it isn't text-speak. :grumble: We all make mistakes from time to time. But text-speak on a forum = automatic mental ignore.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Spell Check has made me stoopid.
    Stooped?

That's a pretty good photo then - the exercise must be doing you right!
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your *kitten* and knowing you're *kitten*.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I think people post about this more than it actually happens.
  • rbeatty63
    Options
    Personally I think its just the way the English language is evolving. If you read newspapers from 100 years back, the language used then has changed a lot. As forms of communication change, with the advent of text messaging, twittter, email etc, the written word is probably evolving faster than it ever has. Words and phrases that were once only common in certain areas have become global, words take different meanings, others are used less often. I don't get why people get upset about grammar and spelling. To me, its just a form of snobbery. As long as I can understand what they are trying to say, I'm good with that. Not everyone is great at putting words down on paper, some people may find it difficult to read and write, so pulling them up on it may make them less likely to post, because they don't want someone nit picking over an out of place apostrophe, or a misspelled word.

Very well said! I like you.
    Perhaps pretty soon we'll be back to grunting at one another.